Feb 22nd, '17, 15:34

Re: Tea is good or bad?

by onjinone » Feb 22nd, '17, 15:34

virginialuther12 wrote: Research have found that Drinking more than four cups of tea a day can increase women’s risk of budding rheumatoid arthritis, research has found. Conversely, some studies claim the hot drink is good for you and have claimed that drinking tea can reduce the chances of developing type 2 diabetes by up to 25 percent if three or four cups are consumed a day. I searched some of the site , some of them say that tea is good for health and some of them say that tea is bad for health.So, what are some of the healthiness profit and consuming of detriments tea?
As with everything, the key is moderation. 4 cups of tea is not a huge amount but it's not small either. Furthermore, these studies are tough because they don't always specify the tea type.

Factors that are easy to overlook: What types of tea are those women consuming? Even within a generic umbrella term such as green tea, there are hundreds of different types. Where are they getting it from? What other lifestyle habits do they have that can influence their condition?

The health benefits are there but tea isn't to be consumed like water.

Feb 22nd, '17, 23:46

by john.b » Feb 22nd, '17, 23:46

Health benefits are a controversial subject related to tea. A lot of people that are really into tea just dismiss it as unresolvable because the claims are almost always based on hearsay (background like Chinese folk wisdom), and researched support of that is limited, with some research seeming biased (supported by tea producers). Of course some of the claimed health benefits could still be real; lack of proof and evidence isn't negative evidence on it's own. The background for research on both benefits and risks includes the normal problems with limited range studies. For example, correlation doesn't equal causation, so lots of real trends related to parallels in tea intake and benefits / health problems could be caused by other factors that pair with trends among people that drink more tea.

Health risks are also problematic to define. The consensus is that moderate tea input poses essentially no risk. Discussion of the potential for some tea being contaminated by pesticides or containing traces of chemicals from fertilizers comes up but again it's hard to assess real risks, and it seems like those are no higher than for those from foods if tea is consumed in moderation. It's hard to know what types of organic sourcing offsets risks, given the risks themselves are hard to define, and organic claims may be based on varying validity.

Caffeine input--perhaps the main risk--is only a concern for higher than average consumption, so probably not a factor for most when consuming even a half dozen cups of tea a day. At a rough estimate teas are said to contain 30 to 40 mg. of caffeine per cup (although that does vary quite a bit) and the normal daily limit is 400 mg. (although that varies quite a bit too; people have different sensitivity to caffeine), so 8 cups of tea is probably still fine, for most people, if that's the only caffeine input. For many it doesn't work well to consume much of that in the evenings for the obvious reason.

It doesn't come up much in discussion compared to those factors but in my opinion tea shouldn't be used as a complete replacement for drinking water. All that is a long story too, about whether or not tea (caffeine) really is a diuretic, if it causes people to expel more fluids. It probably varies by individual more than anything, but some evidence suggests the level of effect varies by how much tea is consumed, so for 3 to 4 cups worth maybe not (150 mg. caffeine dosage range), but for 8 or more cups per day maybe much more so. Based on personal experience mixing in some water consumption with drinking tea resolves that.

Feb 23rd, '17, 00:54

by entropyembrace » Feb 23rd, '17, 00:54

virginialuther12 wrote: Research have found that Drinking more than four cups of tea a day can increase women’s risk of budding rheumatoid arthritis, research has found. Conversely, some studies claim the hot drink is good for you and have claimed that drinking tea can reduce the chances of developing type 2 diabetes by up to 25 percent if three or four cups are consumed a day. I searched some of the site , some of them say that tea is good for health and some of them say that tea is bad for health.So, what are some of the healthiness profit and consuming of detriments tea?
Considering this is nearly a copy-paste from a 2010 telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... r-you.html) I suppose this is the research you're referring to: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 081323.htm (best secondary source I could find, the link to European League Against Rheumatism just goes to their main page. So, as far as I can see it was never actually published in a peer reviewed journal). It possibly never passed peer review, and is based on a a self-administered questionnaire. Also, it directly contradicts a previous questionnaire based study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11817612

...Don't take it too seriously :wink:

Feb 23rd, '17, 12:29

by daotown » Feb 23rd, '17, 12:29

All these studies don't have list of weight of dried leaves/water, type of leaves, measured caffeine content, water used, tds. etc. etc. etc.

You know what's good for your body? A good amount of fruits and veggies, exercise, getting a good nights rest. If these aren't being done, then how can tea be assessed?

I drink tea for my hedonistic pleasure. Tea is good for me :)

Apr 21st, '17, 17:30

by LooseLeafTeaMarket01 » Apr 21st, '17, 17:30

There is no way that drinking tea could be bad for you unless you were super sensitive to caffeine or tannins.

Also, there are questions that need to be answered about that study. What were the subjects' other lifestyle habits? What was their diet like?

Tea, as in black, green, white, etc., does have a net acidic effect on the body. But it carries so many other incredible benefits that I can not imagine how anyone could determine that its' harmful.

As another poster mentioned, your health is directly dictated by your diet and exercise. And tea...is part of your diet. A very healthy and positive part I might add!

May 30th, '17, 03:49

by ginagreen » May 30th, '17, 03:49

Each things has two sides, once you drink at the right time and right way, teas must be good for you. And you could learn more about tea and then decide whether to drink or not.

May 30th, '17, 22:30

by janet11 » May 30th, '17, 22:30

Really? I can't believe that, why it will increase women's risk of budding rheumatoid arthritis?
But I believe that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
As well as for the taste, green tea has many medicinal benefits including reducing the risk of cancer, strokes, improving brain function and so much more.

May 31st, '17, 05:26

by entropyembrace » May 31st, '17, 05:26

janet11 wrote:
Really? I can't believe that, why it will increase women's risk of budding rheumatoid arthritis?
But I believe that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
As well as for the taste, green tea has many medicinal benefits including reducing the risk of cancer, strokes, improving brain function and so much more.
correlation is not causation

the association between tea drinking and rheumatoid arthritis could just as easily be because tea provides symptom relief, or be unrelated.

Aug 22nd, '17, 05:16

by Hezo541 » Aug 22nd, '17, 05:16

In general, tea is good for you. But don't take the tea as a medicine.

Aug 25th, '17, 22:15

by janet11 » Aug 25th, '17, 22:15

In recent days, some researchers have revealed that tea can actually damage our health, especially when taken on an empty stomach. Tea is not really good during summers. Tea contains caffeine, L-thionine, and Theophylline in it. These ingredients increase hyperactivity in our body.

Aug 27th, '17, 10:02

by Bok » Aug 27th, '17, 10:02

janet11 wrote: Tea is not really good during summers. Tea contains caffeine, L-thionine, and Theophylline in it. These ingredients increase hyperactivity in our body.
Does not seem to harm people in India, Southern China or Taiwan where most of our tea comes from and temperatures are what we Westerners would call summery for most of the year...

Coffee comes from Africa and also harvested in South America. All very hot places. The whole middles east drinks a lot of tea and coffee. And that for centuries, I think we would know by now if it was not good for hot temperatures...

Aug 27th, '17, 10:05

by Bok » Aug 27th, '17, 10:05

That tea on an empty stomach is not good for you is easily proved by trial!
Not all teas are created equal though. Roasted or aged oolongs can consumed on an empty stomach without any issues. Needs to be at least medium to high quality tea.

Cheap tea is probably never good for you and bad in the worst case.

Aug 27th, '17, 10:08

by Bok » Aug 27th, '17, 10:08

Anyways the question is too black and white, good and bad - it always depends.

+ Post Reply