"northern" style brewing

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 3rd, '17, 18:27

"northern" style brewing

by JAndrews2 » Feb 3rd, '17, 18:27

Searching around older posts on the forum, I was intrigued by this:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... le#p130860

Seems like a fusion of "gongfu" and "grandpa" style brewing. Does this have historical precedent apart from either of those two? Does anyone else do this? What do you do in terms of leaf to water ratio, brewing time, etc.?

Feb 3rd, '17, 20:44
Vendor Member

Re: "northern" style brewing

by jayinhk » Feb 3rd, '17, 20:44

JAndrews2 wrote:Searching around older posts on the forum, I was intrigued by this:

Seems like a fusion of "gongfu" and "grandpa" style brewing. Does this have historical precedent apart from either of those two? Does anyone else do this? What do you do in terms of leaf to water ratio, brewing time, etc.?
This is how most Chinese people drink their tea around the world, but in porcelain pots and infuser mugs. I keep the lid on when I do this though!

Feb 7th, '17, 10:58
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 7th, '17, 10:58

JAndrews2 wrote:Searching around older posts on the forum, I was intrigued by this:

Seems like a fusion of "gongfu" and "grandpa" style brewing. Does anyone else do this? What do you do in terms of leaf to water ratio, brewing time, etc.?
For cheap tea used in hotels when traveling,I add more water to already infused tea when what was already prepared is getting too cold &/or bitter. I've found it a good way to brew my inferior teas, especially when using far-from-ideal water. I pay attention to color, aroma, etc. to arrive at modest success which is the ability to enjoy half or more of the three infusions' worth of tea aimed for.

For excellent teas, I am usually disappointed w/ my attempts to brew in porcelain bowls, but I try a couple of times a month (when home). Having watched people stirring w/ a porcelain spoon. smelling the back of the spoon, dishing out some tea w/it, adding some water, etc. so comfortably; I'd like to get there. I often mess this up & don't know why I was able to master use of a wok so quickly but not use of teaware. Fortunately, excellent tea leaves steeped in good water have not been totally wasted, just not used to their potential.

Leaf to water ratio varies from tea to tea. I'm not going to load a lot of leaves into a glass or bowl, for sure. At this stage in my strugglesm ut us tii kujekt ti be wasteful..

Mar 28th, '17, 05:29

by chrl42 » Mar 28th, '17, 05:29

I think this style of brewing tea was dominant before Gongfu technique was invented in China,

No one was so serious about 'brewing' as Chaozhou people with Gongfu, maybe Tang-Song tea addicts or some Japanese might rival though.

But nowadays Gongfu brewing is dominant among tea drinkers in China and Korea, which clearly shows an impact of Gongfu drinkers (Cantonese, Taiwanese etc) in tea business

+ Post Reply