Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

For general/other topics related to tea.


Apr 20th, '17, 09:29
Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 20th, '17

Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by TeBrecwast » Apr 20th, '17, 09:29

Recently I have been thinking about all the old tea leaves that I toss into the trash. I do compost vegetable waste myself; however I have been hesitant about composting old tea. I was wondering if there is anyone that has used tea leaves in compost or gardening, and did it appear to have a benefit? And did you just add the tea to the soil, or fully compost before adding the soil? I am looking to compost for vegetables.

User avatar
Apr 20th, '17, 11:07
Adagio
Posts: 52
Joined: Sep 21st, '16
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by Emily@Adagio » Apr 20th, '17, 11:07

Hey, there!

I'm going to move this from TeaWare up to Tea>Miscellaneous for you, since it'll probably get a better response in that section.

And don't forget to Introduce Yourself to TeaChat! We're happy to have you join our group of Tea Lovers!

:D

User avatar
Apr 20th, '17, 11:36
Posts: 607
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by victoria3 » Apr 20th, '17, 11:36

I place all my spent leaves around plants that enjoy moist soil outside. Some leaves are beautiful to display around fruit trees here in Southern California. Other people I know compost them resulting in nicely aerated soil during decomposition phase. Placing them inside around plants resulted in moldy leaves. I think HY Chen's dried roasted DongDing leaves are beautiful so I've saved some to use for a future project.

User avatar
Apr 20th, '17, 15:55
Vendor Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: Aug 28th, '12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by jayinhk » Apr 20th, '17, 15:55

I would suggest adding it to your compost heap and letting them break down fully with everything else.

User avatar
Apr 20th, '17, 23:51
Posts: 1090
Joined: Dec 2nd, '07
Location: Westchester, New York

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by joelbct » Apr 20th, '17, 23:51

Yup I think tea works great in compost. Rich plant matter from rich soil around the world, nice addition to the compost bin. Leaves in general are supposed to be a good addition. There is something about the proper 'green' (nitrogen- most kitchen scraps) to 'browns' (carbon- shredded newspaper and dried foliage) ratio, I'm not sure whether tea leaves fall into the former or latter, but I'm sure Google would know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Apr 21st, '17, 00:57
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 18th, '17

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by Genmaichange » Apr 21st, '17, 00:57

victoria3 wrote: I place all my spent leaves around plants that enjoy moist soil outside. Some leaves are beautiful to display around fruit trees here in Southern California. Other people I know compost them resulting in nicely aerated soil during decomposition phase. Placing them inside around plants resulted in moldy leaves. I think HY Chen's dried roasted DongDing leaves are beautiful so I've saved some to use for a future project.
What are 'HY Chen's dried roasted DongDing leaves' ? Also what would the future project entail?

User avatar
Apr 21st, '17, 19:37
Posts: 607
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by victoria3 » Apr 21st, '17, 19:37

Genmaichange wrote:
victoria3 wrote: I place all my spent leaves around plants that enjoy moist soil outside. Some leaves are beautiful to display around fruit trees here in Southern California. Other people I know compost them resulting in nicely aerated soil during decomposition phase. Placing them inside around plants resulted in moldy leaves. I think HY Chen's dried roasted DongDing leaves are beautiful so I've saved some to use for a future project.
What are 'HY Chen's dried roasted DongDing leaves' ? Also what would the future project entail?
HY Chen aka Hau Yin Chen is a farmer in Taiwan who follows traditional farming methods and makes excellent roasted oolongs. I order from him on facebook 薪誠坊 Shin Cheng Fang/百年茶園/凍頂烏龍專賣店. My future dry leaf project might just be using them in photos or adding essential oils or...... not sure yet

User avatar
Apr 21st, '17, 22:52
Posts: 19
Joined: Apr 21st, '17

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by LooseLeafTeaMarket01 » Apr 21st, '17, 22:52

I would definitely include tea leaves in your composting. Or feed them to your other plants.

And here's an idea, lol, I'm already laughing because it does sound a little nuts but I'll go for it.

When I used to juice, I would keep the pulp and make veggie burgers. What if you kept your tea leaves...and made Tea Burgers?! :shock:

User avatar
Apr 21st, '17, 23:18
Posts: 251
Joined: Feb 9th, '16
Location: California

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by stevorama » Apr 21st, '17, 23:18

I put my tea leaves into my compost bin. I consider them like dried leaves (brown material.) No problem.

Apr 26th, '17, 19:55
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 25th, '17
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Composting Old Tea, Y or N?

by shadesofviolet » Apr 26th, '17, 19:55

stevorama wrote: I put my tea leaves into my compost bin. I consider them like dried leaves (brown material.) No problem.
They're actually a green because they were picked when they were living - not like fallen leaves where most of the nutrients have time to leave before they drop.

+ Post Reply