How big of a stash is too big of a stash?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jun 26th, '17, 16:40

How big of a stash is too big of a stash?

by dizzo » Jun 26th, '17, 16:40

Ive got a heck of a stash going. Probably enough for me to drink freely for 6 months.
Mr Chen contacted me about an order I asked to put in...A sampling of everything he has. My stash is even bigger now. Im worried about missing out on some teas because I am not going to be able to justify another purchase for the better part of a year! :lol:

Jun 26th, '17, 16:51

Re: How big of a stash is too big of a stash?

by victoria3 » Jun 26th, '17, 16:51

dizzo wrote: Ive got a heck of a stash going. Probably enough for me to drink freely for 6 months.
Mr Chen contacted me about an order I asked to put in...A sampling of everything he has. My stash is even bigger now. Im worried about missing out on some teas because I am not going to be able to justify another purchase for the better part of a year! :lol:
I just put in another order with HY Chen. He gifted me a few extra teas in the last order, and I inturn gifted many of his oolongs to friends and even started an LA tea club to share more. I then found that I no longer had his everyday roasted oolongs that I really enjoy so now put in another order :D long way of saying if you have lots of tea you can share and expand your circle of drinkers 🍃

Jun 26th, '17, 19:05

by CWarren » Jun 26th, '17, 19:05

I think as long as it's tea that can age well or small enough quantities of each to sip down before it fades and as long as you can drink it in your lifetime you're fine, (or have a tea heir in mind). Like Victoria said tea gifts are great too as well as swaps etc. I probably have enough tea to last a few years, mostly Oolong, puerh and heicha for aging. I see some folks who purchase more tea than they could enjoy in a lifetime but to each their own.

As for Chen I tend to buy a sampling of all his teas when the new seasonal lists come out but haven't this time. He has some really good tea he hasn't offered before too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 30th, '17, 04:05

by kuánglóng » Jun 30th, '17, 04:05

I'm sitting on a pretty huge stash of ageable teas, mainly sheng pu but I'm in a happy situation since I can always sell or trade teas I don't care about that much anymore with friends.

Jul 2nd, '17, 10:08

by joelbct » Jul 2nd, '17, 10:08

I have about 4500g on hand, and I drink ~16g/day.

This was result of a lot of sampling of new vendors and teas. I hadn't tried new vendors in years. Probably 2000g of the stockpile I won't drink.

So really just 2500g, ~5 months of tea equivalent on hand. Which is fine, I consider the un-drunk tea just a price of searching for new teas I'll enjoy.

I don't collect age-able teas, and I like variety, so I'll probably stick to 100g pouches and under 3000g of tea on hand, with new purchases a few times a year when the new harvests come out.

Jul 2nd, '17, 15:03
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 2nd, '17, 15:03

joelbct wrote:. Probably 2000g of the stockpile I won't drink.
Joel, How much of those 2000 grams is good tea? I am guessing that a significant amount is good quality but not what you want because now you are into different or better teas. I suggest that you list what you do not want on Teaswap for true swapping.

Jul 2nd, '17, 15:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 2nd, '17, 15:48

ethan wrote:
Joel, How much of those 2000 grams is good tea? I am guessing that a significant amount is good quality but not what you want because now you are into different or better teas. I suggest that you list what you do not want on Teaswap for true swapping.
But maybe he may change his mind in future :lol:

Jul 3rd, '17, 05:54

by Bok » Jul 3rd, '17, 05:54

Any stash you can’t finish before it goes bad/quality decreases is too big a stash.

Jul 4th, '17, 18:11

Re: RE: Re: How big of a stash is too big of a stash?

by joelbct » Jul 4th, '17, 18:11

William wrote:
ethan wrote:
But maybe he may change his mind in future Image
It's my 'in case society collapses' stash.

And I don't really have time to list 20 different sku's of mostly 50-100g each, that aren't that great.

Lastly, I mixed together several that are similar but didn't do much for me: 600g of middling Assam in one blend, ~400g of smokey oolong that I discovered isnt my cup of tea in another. I don't think anyone would want it. Joel's mystery blends ;)

Jul 4th, '17, 19:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 4th, '17, 19:34

joelbct wrote: It's my 'in case society collapses' stash.
:lol:

If you don't like the Joel's mystery blends, try mixing more (or let it age for a bit) .. it may work! :wink:

Jul 5th, '17, 02:23
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 5th, '17, 02:23

I have around 100kg of pu erh (which is a tiny amount for a dealer in my part of the world) with more coming in every month. I have older Liming sheng samples and new Xiaguan (for aging) coming in right now. I tend to buy a variety of sheng pu since you never know how it will turn out down the line!

+ Post Reply