Apr 7th, '17, 11:07
Vendor Member

Your best method of comparing & judging teas?

by ethan » Apr 7th, '17, 11:07

Most of us have drunk a tea that we have drunk enough times to have consciously & unconsciously assessed it and to know its quality; yet, 1 day we wonder "Why did I feel this was so wonderful?" or "How did I not know that this is terrific?".

This moment is not just timing (just being in the mood for any quality tea of that type, for example). It is truly feeling one's appreciation & awareness of the tea was was out of order.

For myself, lately I have not bought tea that I should not have bought nor passed up chances to buy good tea that I should have bought (which I can say w/ confidence because it was out of budget constraints); but some teas that I did buy should have bought in greater quantity & some in lesser. Anyway, I ask what is your best method or way that leads to your correct choices? Also, which ways did you make choices before that you have abandoned as being not as most method(s) to decide which teas you will obtain?

Sep 25th, '17, 11:40

Re: Your best method of comparing & judging teas?

by Steve@Adagio » Sep 25th, '17, 11:40

ethan wrote: Most of us have drunk a tea that we have drunk enough times to have consciously & unconsciously assessed it and to know its quality; yet, 1 day we wonder "Why did I feel this was so wonderful?" or "How did I not know that this is terrific?".

This moment is not just timing (just being in the mood for any quality tea of that type, for example). It is truly feeling one's appreciation & awareness of the tea was was out of order.

For myself, lately I have not bought tea that I should not have bought nor passed up chances to buy good tea that I should have bought (which I can say w/ confidence because it was out of budget constraints); but some teas that I did buy should have bought in greater quantity & some in lesser. Anyway, I ask what is your best method or way that leads to your correct choices? Also, which ways did you make choices before that you have abandoned as being not as most method(s) to decide which teas you will obtain?
I feel as though this is entirely dependent on palate and type of tea. I prefer clean, rich notes in my tea. However, the same can not be said of all types. While bitterness and full-bodied is something I look for in black (red) teas, I do not enjoy the same from my green teas. Mostly due to my disliking of an overly "chlorophyll" tasting greens.

+ Post Reply