Tea Tasting Apps?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 3rd, '18, 22:49

Tea Tasting Apps?

by chapka » Feb 3rd, '18, 22:49

When I'm drinking beer, I use an app called Untappd, which lets me rate the beer and enter tasting notes. It also has a social aspect; it shows me what beers are on tap and it shows me what my friends are drinking and what they think of the beer I'm looking at. The social aspect also means I don't have to enter in the name of each beer and brewery, as the community has already done it.

There are a couple of similar apps for wine--I use one called Delectable, which has most of the same features and also has a built-in system for handling vintages--you can look at all of the notes for a wine, or just the notes for a specific year.

It seems to me I could really use an app like this for tea. So many houses have teas that sound so similar, it can be hard to remember. Was that tea I liked the Tippy Yunnan, or the Yunnan Black, or the China Black Yunnan--and which teamaker was it from? And then there are the Chinese names--I can just about say hello in Mandarin, but I can't remember whether the pu'er I liked was the gong ting shu or the yi ji shu.

So--does anyone have a tea app they like that runs on iOS? I've tried Googling, and the only one I've found is Tea Ave, which has some nice features (like tasting notes for each infusion) but is a little clumsy in places, requires a lot of by-hand data entry, and doesn't have straightforward rankings--so you can't sort by whether you actually liked the tea or not, for instance.

Anyone else? Do you use and app, and if not, how do you keep track of the teas you try?

Feb 14th, '18, 12:04
Mod/Admin

Re: Tea Tasting Apps?

by AndrewGC » Feb 14th, '18, 12:04

Hey chapka,

Check out this article: https://www.teamuse.com/article_110503.html - It outlines the creation story behind an awesome app we love called "tea" (catchy name!)

It has a lot of the features you're looking for! Hope this helps!
chapka wrote: When I'm drinking beer, I use an app called Untappd, which lets me rate the beer and enter tasting notes. It also has a social aspect; it shows me what beers are on tap and it shows me what my friends are drinking and what they think of the beer I'm looking at. The social aspect also means I don't have to enter in the name of each beer and brewery, as the community has already done it.

There are a couple of similar apps for wine--I use one called Delectable, which has most of the same features and also has a built-in system for handling vintages--you can look at all of the notes for a wine, or just the notes for a specific year.

It seems to me I could really use an app like this for tea. So many houses have teas that sound so similar, it can be hard to remember. Was that tea I liked the Tippy Yunnan, or the Yunnan Black, or the China Black Yunnan--and which teamaker was it from? And then there are the Chinese names--I can just about say hello in Mandarin, but I can't remember whether the pu'er I liked was the gong ting shu or the yi ji shu.

So--does anyone have a tea app they like that runs on iOS? I've tried Googling, and the only one I've found is Tea Ave, which has some nice features (like tasting notes for each infusion) but is a little clumsy in places, requires a lot of by-hand data entry, and doesn't have straightforward rankings--so you can't sort by whether you actually liked the tea or not, for instance.

Anyone else? Do you use and app, and if not, how do you keep track of the teas you try?

Feb 16th, '18, 02:16

by BrianM » Feb 16th, '18, 02:16

This is my first reply and first day with TeaChat so I hope I get this right lol. I use the app Tea as Andrew does and another. Tea Sommelier. It has some resources that Tea doesn’t but I like Tea better. Hope this helps.
chapka wrote: When I'm drinking beer, I use an app called Untappd, which lets me rate the beer and enter tasting notes. It also has a social aspect; it shows me what beers are on tap and it shows me what my friends are drinking and what they think of the beer I'm looking at. The social aspect also means I don't have to enter in the name of each beer and brewery, as the community has already done it.

Feb 17th, '18, 12:21

by JRS22 » Feb 17th, '18, 12:21

I’ve been using the Tea app for years. I use it for the teas I have at home so the data entry isn’t an issue. I set up an entry each time I buy a new tea and then I can keep track of how I brew each tea - tasting notes, favorite pots, time and temperature for each steep, tea qty and water qty for each pot size.

I’m so dependent upon this app that when I was preparing to upgrade to iOS 11 I resurrected my iPod Touch 4 to devote to it. Since it was recently upgraded to run under iOS 11 I can have one less device cluttering my kitchen.

Feb 20th, '18, 04:13

by 12Tea » Feb 20th, '18, 04:13

I think most tea lovers simply keep track of their tastings through a blog. This also makes the most sense to me. You can simply enter brewing time, temperature, duration and the tool you've used in a blog. And you can add images to remember the tea colour and the setting in which you enjoyed the tea. I don't see why an app would be easier.

Mar 6th, '18, 10:25

by 12Tea » Mar 6th, '18, 10:25

There's a new app, which made quite some noise on reddit. Here's the link:
https://storyofmytea.com/tea-app/

Jan 14th, '19, 19:44

by threemouthstea » Jan 14th, '19, 19:44

I am actually in the early stages of developing one now. It will focus on giving users recommendations of new teas based on their favorite teas and flavors.

+ Post Reply