Sep 6th, '10, 16:14

Tea and Exercise

by Tea4Todd » Sep 6th, '10, 16:14

Being the Exercise Science major and health nut that I am. What are everyone's thoughts on tea and exercise? Do you have a particular tea that you drink before, after, or during exercise? Share some of your stories about tea and how you incorporate it into your fitness and health regimens.

Sep 6th, '10, 17:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tea and Exercise

by Chip » Sep 6th, '10, 17:33

Tea4Todd wrote:Being the Exercise Science major and health nut that I am. What are everyone's thoughts on tea and exercise? Do you have a particular tea that you drink before, after, or during exercise? Share some of your stories about tea and how you incorporate it into your fitness and health regimens.
I am a competitive road cyclist with an emphasis on endurance for hours on the bike. When in extreme exertion, the kidneys tend to shut down. But if just in a slower paced ride, they do not, thus tea is not particularly condusive to the activity (if you catch my hidden meaning :oops: ). I also usually go old school and wait several hours in order to stay fully hydrated since tea can have the opposite effect to a degree.

On the bike, I am more concerned with things like carbohydrates and protein and getting a balance of liquid and nutrients into my system constantly in order to prevent a bonk.

So, tea has not fitted into my training regimen on the bike. Training off bike, that could be a place where I could add tea.

Sep 6th, '10, 17:39

Re: Tea and Exercise

by Tea4Todd » Sep 6th, '10, 17:39

Chip wrote:
Tea4Todd wrote:Being the Exercise Science major and health nut that I am. What are everyone's thoughts on tea and exercise? Do you have a particular tea that you drink before, after, or during exercise? Share some of your stories about tea and how you incorporate it into your fitness and health regimens.
I am a competitive road cyclist with an emphasis on endurance for hours on the bike. When in extreme exertion, the kidneys tend to shut down. But if just in a slower paced ride, they do not, thus tea is not particularly condusive to the activity (if you catch my hidden meaning :oops: ). I also usually go old school and wait several hours in order to stay fully hydrated since tea can have the opposite effect to a degree.

On the bike, I am more concerned with things like carbohydrates and protein and getting a balance of liquid and nutrients into my system constantly in order to prevent a bonk.

So, tea has not fitted into my training regimen on the bike. Training off bike, that could be a place where I could add tea.
I used to do competitive road cycling as well. I never drank tea then either, I would be curious though to see how drinking tea daily before riding (giving enough time for gastric emptying...) could result in higher metabolic responses and increased sustained energy output. Carbohydrates and hydration are indeed very valuable whilst riding, as is higher levels of sodium to prevent muscle cramping and fatigue. What are your typical ride schedules like? What setup do you have?

How do you think weightlifting and tea consumption would work?

+ Post Reply