Unknown Chinese Tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 5th, '11, 10:48

Unknown Chinese Tea

by tortoise » Mar 5th, '11, 10:48

I'm sure one of you could identify this pretty quickly. It was given to me by a friend who received it from a guy that runs a muay thai gym here. He said the tea is chinese though.

The tea is roasted pretty well and that is mostly what it tastes like. Actually, I think "toasted" would be more accurate. Not much attention was given to rolling it or somehow stylizing the dry, brittle leaf, which, as you can see, are black and green. There is also a few crisp twigs. The leaves are a uniform army green with oxidation around the edges once spent. It doesn't steep gong fu many times. It has a roasted, twiggy flavor with a hint of marine. Twice is about as many steeps I can get out of it. Is it some kind of oolong...possibly even a white tea?
Attachments
P1040023.JPG
P1040023.JPG (28.71 KiB) Viewed 987 times

Mar 6th, '11, 09:47

Re: Unknown Chinese Tea

by tortoise » Mar 6th, '11, 09:47

Not even an idea, huh? Oh well. It seems like a very cheap grade.

Mar 9th, '11, 19:16

by entropyembrace » Mar 9th, '11, 19:16

Looks a bit like a "wuyi oolong" I bought a few times when I was starting with loose leaf tea...your flavour description matches too. Though I dont think it was actually grown all that close to the protected area.

Mar 10th, '11, 22:54

by tortoise » Mar 10th, '11, 22:54

entropyembrace wrote:Looks a bit like a "wuyi oolong" I bought a few times when I was starting with loose leaf tea...your flavour description matches too. Though I dont think it was actually grown all that close to the protected area.
Having had only one other wuyi, I can confirm that it probably does not come from that area. It lacks the mineral quality completely.

+ Post Reply