Tempeh and tea ?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 5th, '11, 16:35

Tempeh and tea ?

by skilfautdire » Mar 5th, '11, 16:35

I make tempeh. Tempeh is something fermented for some time, typically de-hulled soya beans. It's available in North America, if you look for it. A few shops are making it locally in the US and Canada. There's one nearby Ottawa for instance, which solds to supermarkets.

So I make tempeh on a regular basis. It's darn easy to do since it does not involve much work. Thoroughout the some 22 hours the work is done by bacteria, not by me.

I make tempeh from okara, mixed with a bit of rice. Okara is the soya pulp that is left when making tofu or soya milk. And so, I also make tofu on a regular basis (it's incredible what amount of food can three cups of dry soya beans yield: 2 large, firm tofu cakes, 12 okara-based burgers, a pound of tempeh, and about 2 liters of nice broth).

But back to tempeh. I'd be asking principally participants from SouthEast Asia, Malaysia (auhckw ??) where tempeh is staple food, if there's any variation of it (there are many) which uses tea leaves.

I'm curious about this. Tempeh and green tea. Fermented together. I wonder.

Any comments welcomed.

Mar 9th, '11, 22:23

Re: Tempeh and tea ?

by auhckw » Mar 9th, '11, 22:23

Tempeh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh

Personally, I don't really fancy this food, but it taste better when it is deep fried or when it is cooked spicy.

It is a common in muslim restaurants, but not really for chinese. I have only eaten less than 5 times in my life...

Mar 10th, '11, 05:13

by woozl » Mar 10th, '11, 05:13

I likes me some tempeh,
I've had some with seaweed,
but not with tea.
Never tried to make my own....

Mar 10th, '11, 06:04

by skilfautdire » Mar 10th, '11, 06:04

The one that I make, combining okara (soy pulp from making tofu) and some brown rice, definitevely needs to be cooked since the trypsin inhibitor (SBTI), present in all soybeans and preventing the absorbtion of protein is in full force. It goes away with cooking. The digestive mechanism of some animals are not bothered by this but we are.

In regular tempeh (as in tempeh made only with de-hulled soy beans) soy beans are briefly cooked. Is it enough to get rid of the SBTI ? I don't know.

Anyways, it's great when cooked, be it deep/shallow fried or stir fried. Lots of info about tempeh on the internet. The tempeh shop in Ottawa that sells to (super)markets makes various kinds, some with other grains, with seaweeds, etc...

There was a travel documentary this week in which people had tempeh with nuts along with javanese 'yellow' rice (cooked with curcuma and coconut milk - nice) for breakfast.

+ Post Reply