TeaHeadlines in the News!

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 2nd, '17, 20:50

Re: TeaHeadlines in the News!

by Bok » Aug 2nd, '17, 20:50

ethan wrote:
Bok wrote: So seems like that really happened and the second flush is lost this year! Just read a follow up article on the topic of troubles in Darjeeling. :oops:
Might be a good time to get tea from Nepal. I have drunk very little darjeeling and a lot of the Himalayan Orange from Jun Chiyabari that I post about often. I have used a few hundred grams of other Nepali teas over the last few years. I am sure they are the same type of tea as darjeeling; or, one might want to use the word "category". For me the Nepali tea is less astringent but not so different.....
I agree. Although I have heard from the boss of a well-known loose leaf tea company that Jun Chiyabari still seem to have problems to keep a consistent quality.

Aug 3rd, '17, 17:55
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 3rd, '17, 17:55

Bok wrote:
ethan wrote:
Bok wrote:
I agree. Although I have heard from the boss of a well-known loose leaf tea company that Jun Chiyabari still seem to have problems to keep a consistent quality.
I don't know understand how anyone can maintain quality of lines (specifically named teas) because of changes in weather. I was lucky to be able to buy what I bought from Jun Chiyabari in quantity and probably won't buy from them again for a few reasons (mostly because I cannot sit in Nepal and sample and say 1 kilo of that one and 1 kilo....etc.). Although I like what I got from Nepal very much (am drinking it w/ pleasure now) and sell it, like you, Bok, I do prefer black tea from Taiwan.

Aug 3rd, '17, 21:12

by Bok » Aug 3rd, '17, 21:12

ethan wrote: I don't know understand how anyone can maintain quality of lines (specifically named teas) because of changes in weather. I was lucky to be able to buy what I bought from Jun Chiyabari in quantity and probably won't buy from them again for a few reasons (mostly because I cannot sit in Nepal and sample and say 1 kilo of that one and 1 kilo....etc.).
I think it has to do with that they are still a very young tea farm and might not yet have mastery and sufficient experience to cope with yearly changing conditions. Our common favorite teashop has never let me down in terms of quality, year after year the same standard, so it is possible.

As I understand it Jun Chiyabary is not one, but several diffent farms. Might also explain quality drops if the origin is not 100% clear.

Aug 4th, '17, 03:17

by Teasenz » Aug 4th, '17, 03:17

Single origin tea (or single farm tea) is never stable. But that's also the beauty of it.

Aug 4th, '17, 04:37

by Bok » Aug 4th, '17, 04:37

Teasenz wrote: Single origin tea (or single farm tea) is never stable. But that's also the beauty of it.
Mostly yes, but skill and experience will even out the overall quality. I have many single farm sources in Taiwan, which consistently deliver quality. Maybe they do not have a top grade one year, or less of it, but it is never a noticeable drop in quality.

A lot of defaults can be worked against during processing.

+ Post Reply