Metropolitan Tea Company

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 14th, '13, 00:46

Metropolitan Tea Company

by MEversbergII » Apr 14th, '13, 00:46

A new "apothecary" opened up locally. I'm not the herbalist type, but they do sell tea and tea accessories. Pricey. Too spoiled on Amazon and other online sites.

Their primary loose tea appears to be The Metropolitian Tea Company. I got myself two sample tins (Lapsang Suchong and Assam - a few grams at five bucks/tin) and a friend got the monks blend. Monk's blend isn't unappealing, but I try to avoid blended teas by personal choice.

Wasn't braining so I couldn't see how much I was paying per gram, but I did notice a pound of "Scottish Caramel Toffee Pu'er" was going for 55USD in a large tin. I've had that blended tea (the other half likes it), but I know full well Enjoying Tea sells the exact same named product (quality differences unknown) for 20. That was interesting.

Anyways, there are locals I'm trying to convert to tea. Some are less than content with online ordering for consumables. Should I recommend this brand of tea, or is it going to be counter productive?

Thanks,

M.

Apr 16th, '13, 11:08

Re: Metropolitan Tea Company

by MEversbergII » Apr 16th, '13, 11:08

Update!

I tried two samples: A lapsang suchong and an Assam.

Lapsang: Overly smokey - probably low grade black leaves, but it doesn't matter because I am drinking an entire BBQ and can't tell. Extremely potent scent, too.

Assam: Basically no flavor, except a bitter aftertaste. Leaves are finely minced and are a bit like flock.

Doesn't bode too well for the rest of the lineup.

M.

+ Post Reply