Does This Look Good For Cold Brew?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 4th, '15, 23:08

Does This Look Good For Cold Brew?

by NateHevens » Aug 4th, '15, 23:08

So Max Falkowitz over at Serious Eats (love that site) has been writing a whole bunch of awesome tea posts. I was wondering if y'all read "The Tea Lover's Way to Make the Best Cold Brew Iced Tea" and what you thought of it?

I always end up with some astringency, which makes me think his 8-10 grams of leaf per 32 fl oz of water is perhaps a little too much...

I'm about to set up some Gunpowder for an overnight cold brew. I'm gonna go for 8g leaf/32oz water and see what happens. I'll let y'all know, but in the mean time, what do you think of Max's article?

Aug 5th, '15, 00:45

Re: Does This Look Good For Cold Brew?

by debunix » Aug 5th, '15, 00:45

I have been enjoying some 'hybrid'-brewed oolong today--too hot for hot tea. I start this tea in hot water for about 5 minutes then pour into a bottle and fill with cool water +/- ice. That is my favorite way to go with most oolongs, and the occasional puerh (mostly shu), as it gives me a delicious brew faster than all-cold brewing, and gives a richer flavor overall.

Greens I like to do entirely cold start to finish, and I have found that I can overbrew them and make them bitter.

So I agree with some of it, and not with other parts. I've not generally measured the quantity of tea I use, but I do tend to use more for greens that will be brewed fully with cool or cold water than for oolongs where I give them the 'hot start'.

Aug 5th, '15, 20:19

Re: Does This Look Good For Cold Brew?

by NateHevens » Aug 5th, '15, 20:19

So the gunpowder was absolutely perfect on first brew. It's set for its second brew now, and we'll see how it is tomorrow.

debunix... that sounds good.

All my good teas are greens right now. I'm waiting until I have money and I've whittled down my tea collection before I go on my next binge, but it'll be a largely oolong binge. I will definitely try out the hot-to-cold method when I start in with the oolongs.

With the greens, though, I'm using the filtered water from our fridge, which is already cold (the filter is actually a really good one). I did about 8.5 grams of gunpowder for the 32 fl oz of water. Like I said... turned out absolutely wonderful. The second brew will be interesting.

+ Post Reply