Best place to buy tea seeds?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Oct 18th 15 5:49 pm

Best place to buy tea seeds?

by djtanng » Oct 18th 15 5:49 pm

I'm looking for tea seed vendors that have information on the plants they came from, like variety, region, climate, etc.

I want to start planting tea seeds at home until I find a good variety that can survive very cold winters in Virginia on their own. This may take years and lots of seeds and patience.

I bought 4 pre-grown Chinese tea plants about a year and 6 months ago and the winter killed 1, crippled 2, and 1 fully recovered. I think they came from South Carolina and were all the same clone. I think their placements in my yard helped determined their winter survival rate. I will cover them with bags this winter as suggested by many people I've talked to.

I've just been so interested in growing tea plants this past few years, that I'm determined to find varieties that will grow in Virginia without having to worry about winter killing them.

EDIT: I found some cheap seeds on AliExpress.com. They were $7.50 for 60 seeds and have little info on them. That's scary cheap, but makes trial and error less expensive. lol.. I'm still on the hunt though for better quality and info.

Oct 19th 15 8:08 pm

Re: Best place to buy tea seeds?

by BW85 » Oct 19th 15 8:08 pm

http://www.camforest.com/Camellia_sinen ... =10&page=2

This seller lists the hardiness zone each varietal can survive in. I think Virginia is hardiness zone 7

Oct 19th 15 11:47 pm

Re: Best place to buy tea seeds?

by NateHevens » Oct 19th 15 11:47 pm

BW85 wrote:http://www.camforest.com/Camellia_sinen ... =10&page=2

This seller lists the hardiness zone each varietal can survive in. I think Virginia is hardiness zone 7
Which zone is Long Island, NY? Or... how do I find out?

ETA: Nevermind... I'm zone 7a...