Tea Pairings with Honey Varietals

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 7th, '16, 18:49

Tea Pairings with Honey Varietals

by Xote » Mar 7th, '16, 18:49

I enjoy many of my teas without any sweetener but once in awhile I will add honey to some.

If you ever use sweeteners in any of your teas, and it is honey, what types of tea and honey pairings do you like?

I find, like with teas, the terroir of honey is quite fascinating, especially when it comes to raw honeys.

I've been exploring the world of various types of honeys recently and seeing which honeys are best paired with certain teas/tisanes, among other things.

Today, I received my order of raw, organic buckwheat honey. It's my first time trying it.

I have to say it is quite distinctive. I can see how it would be an acquired taste for some. But I don't think it's a honey that can be tried in a shallow manner. I think you must take it in and try to appreciate the different layers of taste and elements in it's aroma.

The best way I'd describe it's aroma: deeply haylike, pungent, molassey, rich, earthy and damp, and malty.

The taste is pretty much similar to the way I described the aroma. It is complex.

I think it might go well with strong teas that can't easily be overpowered by buckwheat honey's strong fragrance and unusual taste...such as black teas, rich and heady herbal teas/tisanes like rooibos and so on, and dark green teas.

Today I decided to pair my buckwheat honey with a rooibos chai blend. Buckwheat honey isn't as sweet as other honeys are, but it paired nicely with the spicy and warm and subtle vanilla notes of the rooibos.

Mar 7th, '16, 18:59

Re: Tea Pairings with Honey Varietals

by pedant » Mar 7th, '16, 18:59

i don't add honey to tea, but i do like drinking warm honey water.

a glass of hot water with a spoon or two of honey stirred into it is a nice way to appreciate honey flavors imo. i do this with basically any high quality honey.

Mar 7th, '16, 20:11
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 7th, '16, 20:11

xote,

Welcome to teachat. When I have a cold, I add honey to rooibus that has steeped for at least 8 minutes. I like buckwheat honey but must say that is unusual honey & probably not the best for adding to very bitter things.

W/ good tea or honey, I find they do not complement each other; rather, each is diminished. I find using honey on rolled oats & boiled grains more satisfying. This year I had what Thais call "jungle honey". This wild & somewhat dirty honey was the best I ever had but did not go well w/ tea.

Mar 7th, '16, 20:54

by Xote » Mar 7th, '16, 20:54

pedant wrote:i don't add honey to tea, but i do like drinking warm honey water.

a glass of hot water with a spoon or two of honey stirred into it is a nice way to appreciate honey flavors imo. i do this with basically any high quality honey.
That sounds like a great idea. I will have to try this. Thanks!

Mar 7th, '16, 21:00

by Xote » Mar 7th, '16, 21:00

ethan wrote:xote,

Welcome to teachat. When I have a cold, I add honey to rooibus that has steeped for at least 8 minutes. I like buckwheat honey but must say that is unusual honey & probably not the best for adding to very bitter things.

W/ good tea or honey, I find they do not complement each other; rather, each is diminished. I find using honey on rolled oats & boiled grains more satisfying. This year I had what Thais call "jungle honey". This wild & somewhat dirty honey was the best I ever had but did not go well w/ tea.
Thanks for the welcome, Ethan!

I have never heard of jungle honey before. Very interested to learn about it. From what I looked up, it seems to be referenced highly for it's medicinal properties.

Is it like a Manuka honey?

Mar 8th, '16, 03:17

by .m. » Mar 8th, '16, 03:17

omg i love honey. theres so much variety. i dont mix it with tea (except for herbal teas, but then i use some ordinary honey), just taste it by a spoon in between sessions. usually i prefer dark forest honeys. buckwheat is a good stuff too. recently i've tried a brazilian eucaliptus honey, a completely new taste profile that made me very happy. one day i want to have bees.

Mar 8th, '16, 03:20
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 8th, '16, 03:20

manuka is excellent & a bit different than what I had. I think jungle honey here is just a term for it was gathered wild. There is commercial honey in Thailand also. I don't remember terms usually. In USA I've done best by bartering at events & at ethnic stores.

Mar 8th, '16, 03:26

by .m. » Mar 8th, '16, 03:26

This is quite fascinating (nepalese people collecting wild honey):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_b2i_FvYPw

Mar 8th, '16, 17:56

by BioHorn » Mar 8th, '16, 17:56

I remember years ago seeing a video of chao zhou Phoenix oolong being drunk by the tea farmers with tea. Imen of Tea Habitat used to sell honey...

Mar 10th, '16, 12:05

by Xote » Mar 10th, '16, 12:05

.m. wrote:This is quite fascinating (nepalese people collecting wild honey):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_b2i_FvYPw
Thanks for sharing this! Totally enjoyed watching it...and happened to come across similar and other related channels featuring info and short documentaries on tea.

+ Post Reply