Apr 2nd, '16, 23:19

Misty Peak Tea and strange InstaGram behaviour

by BioHorn » Apr 2nd, '16, 23:19

Until now I have never heard of a vendor harassing tea people.

I simply tasted and tested some tea from White2Tea and posted the photos on my Instagram account. Now on a nearly daily basis I am getting spam accounts of sexual orientation liking the photos. I have screen grabs of all the ocassions. I would like for it to stop.

The owner of Misty Peak apologized for the previous bout of harassment (I was not targeted then.) It seems to have begun again. This tempest in a teapot is quite disappointing. It is very immature.
I just want to drink and write about tea...

I have no business relationship with any tea company.

BioHorn/TeaZap

Apr 3rd, '16, 01:22

Re: Misty Peak Tea and strange InstaGram behaviour

by pedant » Apr 3rd, '16, 01:22

:shock: :(

wow

Apr 3rd, '16, 01:49
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '16, 01:49

Are you sure it isn't just an Instagram bot?

Apr 3rd, '16, 07:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Apr 3rd, '16, 07:35

I'm not sure that the spam is due to that particular vendor.... as jay suggests, it's probably just a generic IG spampot.

The level of spam comes and goes, at least for me it does, and it's been elevated in the last couple of weeks.

Whenever I post a new picture, I usually get 1-3 fake accounts mentioning me in comments, or 1-3 immediate likes from the "10,000 followers" bots. Those usually happen w/in 10 seconds of posting. I report those accounts as spam. And again, it's been worse in the last few weeks.

Then occasionally I've noticed odd late likes from questionable accounts. I figured those were just random bot accounts that feed into the "10,000" bot accounts? Dunno... the IG landscape is a weird one (though it has nothing on Tumblr, haha!).

Apr 3rd, '16, 07:46

by Bef » Apr 3rd, '16, 07:46

Not sure it's from them, but they're the only vendor using fake users all the time on social media, and one of their owners also buys fake followers on Instagram.

Are any of the likes from @devinlacoste, since that's one of the Misty Peak known fake users on Instagram. It's also a user with only "sexy" pictures of an almost nude woman. The other users, I wouldn't know. You can check if they are following @philamerica or @no_flags to have a better idea if it's related to Misty Peak.

Apr 3rd, '16, 09:51

by BioHorn » Apr 3rd, '16, 09:51

Drax wrote:I'm not sure that the spam is due to that particular vendor.... as jay suggests, it's probably just a generic IG spampot.

The level of spam comes and goes, at least for me it does, and it's been elevated in the last couple of weeks.

Whenever I post a new picture, I usually get 1-3 fake accounts mentioning me in comments, or 1-3 immediate likes from the "10,000 followers" bots. Those usually happen w/in 10 seconds of posting. I report those accounts as spam. And again, it's been worse in the last few weeks.

Then occasionally I've noticed odd late likes from questionable accounts. I figured those were just random bot accounts that feed into the "10,000" bot accounts? Dunno... the IG landscape is a weird one (though it has nothing on Tumblr, haha!).
Maybe you are right. What I find so strange is the likes by those accounts are only on those two photos and the fake accounts all have the same photo (1) for their feed. Here is a screen grab. If others get strange likes from these accounts, please let me know.
Attachments
image.jpg
InstaGram Spam
image.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Apr 3rd, '16, 10:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '16, 10:55

I've gotten those on more than two pics man. Instagram bots. I get like five bot likes a day, minimum!

Apr 3rd, '16, 11:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Apr 3rd, '16, 11:54

Hm, I haven't gotten spam like that one. Definitely a bot, as jay says.

The spam I usually get is from accounts with 12 pictures (stock photos) and the most recent one is a "10,000 followers" one, and there's a link in the profile.

As far as I can tell, all of these spam bots just do the same thing -- tap into the live stream of most recent posts and post onto the most recent one until their account is shut down.

Keep reporting the accounts when it happens (that removes from them from pestering you further). Again, for me, it seems to come and go -- likely when IG figures out to to improve its filters, and then back when the bots figure out ways around those filters...

Apr 3rd, '16, 12:17
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '16, 12:17

I think it's certain hashtags that get you targeted. I get a LOT of spam bot likes. I've been reporting them recently. Annoying, but it's not easy for IG to filter that kind of thing out, I guess.

Apr 3rd, '16, 20:15

by BioHorn » Apr 3rd, '16, 20:15

jayinhk wrote:I think it's certain hashtags that get you targeted. I get a LOT of spam bot likes. I've been reporting them recently. Annoying, but it's not easy for IG to filter that kind of thing out, I guess.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it and will keep reporting them!

+ Post Reply