Moving across the country

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 19th, '16, 21:31

Moving across the country

by elliottrob1 » Aug 19th, '16, 21:31

So my wife and I are moving from Pennsylvania to Oregon in just a few short days and everything goes into the moving truck so I had to make the heartbreaking decision of picking just one tea making vessel and one coffee item. The coffee decision was extremely easy......the tea not so much. Do I drink tieguanyin? Silver needle? Maybe gyokuro? I decided on wuyi and also matcha....then I was thinking of also bringing my favorite gaiwan.

What would your teapot of choice and tea of choice?

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016082 ... e5257e.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Aug 20th, '16, 02:57

Re: Moving across the country

by kuánglóng » Aug 20th, '16, 02:57

First post?! Welcome to the forum.

Tea on the move? Yerba mate - gourd - bombilla - thermos.

Good luck with your move!

Aug 20th, '16, 11:34

by elliottrob1 » Aug 20th, '16, 11:34

First post yes. Lurking for a good while. Drinking tea for about 23 years. First 20 years I'll dub them the dark ages of my tea drinking. It was from the dreaded bags

Aug 21st, '16, 08:27

by JRS22 » Aug 21st, '16, 08:27

I would bring chamomile tea to help deal with the stress of moving. Then I would take a factory-made gaiwan. A gaiwan because I could use it to make an assortment of teas. Factory made because I wouldn't feel sad if it broke unlike the way I would react to breaking one of my beautiful artisan gaiwans.

Aug 21st, '16, 18:09

by debunix » Aug 21st, '16, 18:09

Minimal tea setup for travel: small packet of a nice enough green oolong, good for cold brewing, and a water bottle.

Next level up: simple electric kettle (no temp controls); kamjove gongfu art cup (sturdy plastic) and large thermos (for hot tea, in cold weather, or cool brew with ice) and/or water bottle with wide mouth for cool brewing; green oolong as above, and a little of my basic SeaDyke TKY and a bit of shou puerh.

Aug 21st, '16, 23:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 21st, '16, 23:35

Nowadays I usually travel with shou pu erh and a green or oolong. On this trip to Nepal, 7581 from Bitter Leaf Teas (a sample I received from them in person!) and Assamica green tea from Vietnam--but a year old. So far I've only had time for the shou, but I have a thick travel easy gaiwan that works great for pu, so I can infuse as needed. I left the hotel with quite the tea buzz yesterday, after multiple infusions of the 7581. Sucks that the only safe bottled water I can find here is RO, though.

Aug 24th, '16, 00:55

by john.b » Aug 24th, '16, 00:55

It's not so difficult to bring a gaiwan and brew just about anything in a hotel room (or almost any device, really) but actually on the road it's a different story. I did a road-trip themed vacation in Isaan, Thailand not so long ago and used a lot of grandpa-style brewing, making teas by not ever removing the leaves and water, just drinking it combined.

It doesn't work with all teas, and I wouldn't waste the best teas by drinking them across infusion strength variations, generally made to be a long-brewed light proportion mix to offset drinking the tea after it cools a little. Since teas in general work out best brewed one specific length of time, not drank over ten minutes or more continually brewing, the variation in experience has to be part of what's interesting and enjoyable, or else it's a no-go.

Light oolongs seem best suited for it since they work brewed lightly or a lot stronger. I wouldn't limit myself to one or two types; why not bring a small amount of a half dozen, and allow for changes in immediate preference?

The background for that brewing process is interesting, that it really is how a lot of people in China make tea. Then again it seems possible other people there that consider themselves tea enthusiasts look down on that, like pour-over coffee purists repulsed by people still drinking gas-station weak-brewed bad coffee, as the unwashed masses' take on tea. Or maybe just in virtue of being a Chinese practice it's more ok; could depend on perspective. It seems more relevant to me how someone likes their own tea, but without trying tea made that way someone really wouldn't have a clear opinion on that.

Not relevant to all this but I'm from PA, originally; been awhile since I lived back there though.

Aug 27th, '16, 07:34

by elliottrob1 » Aug 27th, '16, 07:34

Well the move is underway. We are all packed up and on the road. All stocked up on tea and coffee. Only 43.5 hours worth of driving left

+ Post Reply