Wet leaf color and brewing parameters

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 1st, '17, 19:18

Wet leaf color and brewing parameters

by JAndrews2 » Aug 1st, '17, 19:18

Has anyone noticed a difference in the color of their tea leaves when they brew them in different ways? I was drinking a Dong Ding using 4g, 15-30s steeps in a 50ml gaiwan, and I noticed that the leaves were much darker than when I had about the same amount "grandpa style" in a big mug the night before.

Aug 1st, '17, 21:48

Re: Wet leaf color and brewing parameters

by Bok » Aug 1st, '17, 21:48

JAndrews2 wrote: Has anyone noticed a difference in the color of their tea leaves when they brew them in different ways? I was drinking a Dong Ding using 4g, 15-30s steeps in a 50ml gaiwan, and I noticed that the leaves were much darker than when I had about the same amount "grandpa style" in a big mug the night before.
After which steep? Leaves will have a very different colour from first-middle-last/spent stage. I would imagine the grandpa leaves should look the same as the completely spent ones from the gaiwan.

Aug 2nd, '17, 11:33

by JAndrews2 » Aug 2nd, '17, 11:33

Bok wrote:
JAndrews2 wrote: Has anyone noticed a difference in the color of their tea leaves when they brew them in different ways? I was drinking a Dong Ding using 4g, 15-30s steeps in a 50ml gaiwan, and I noticed that the leaves were much darker than when I had about the same amount "grandpa style" in a big mug the night before.
After which steep? Leaves will have a very different colour from first-middle-last/spent stage. I would imagine the grandpa leaves should look the same as the completely spent ones from the gaiwan.
Well, that was the funny thing. The entirely spent leaves from the gaiwan were much darker. But come to think of it, it might have been the color of the gaiwan vs the mug. I may just have to run some experiments today and work it out...

Aug 2nd, '17, 20:44

by Bok » Aug 2nd, '17, 20:44

JAndrews2 wrote: Well, that was the funny thing. The entirely spent leaves from the gaiwan were much darker. But come to think of it, it might have been the color of the gaiwan vs the mug. I may just have to run some experiments today and work it out...
Isn’t a gaiwan just a fancy mug with a lid? :mrgreen:

Aug 2nd, '17, 21:02

by JAndrews2 » Aug 2nd, '17, 21:02

Bok wrote:
JAndrews2 wrote: Well, that was the funny thing. The entirely spent leaves from the gaiwan were much darker. But come to think of it, it might have been the color of the gaiwan vs the mug. I may just have to run some experiments today and work it out...
Isn’t a gaiwan just a fancy mug with a lid? :mrgreen:
Fair enough :P But this gaiwan is white and the mug is blue. I'm trying to finish the gaiwan leaves now but they just keep giving amd giving... doesn't help that it aids me procrastinating on the laundry.

Aug 4th, '17, 03:27

by Teasenz » Aug 4th, '17, 03:27

I think it's indeed the difference in teaware. I had this thought before as well. The same leaves looked completely different in colour when they're in a transparent glass versus gaiwan.

Aug 5th, '17, 14:31

by JAndrews2 » Aug 5th, '17, 14:31

Teasenz wrote: I think it's indeed the difference in teaware. I had this thought before as well. The same leaves looked completely different in colour when they're in a transparent glass versus gaiwan.
I'm away from home and cant post pictures, but I think that's what it was. But not so much the color, as the fact that the leaves aere packed into the gaiwan more tightly. When I laid them out on a plate, they were the same. Oh well!

+ Post Reply