Drinking different teas in summer or winter

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 18th, '17, 06:37

Drinking different teas in summer or winter

by HotLeafJuice » Dec 18th, '17, 06:37

I've heard once from someone from China that they prefer drinking green teas only in summer and pu erhs usually in winter.

I don't remember the whole explanation behind this habit, but they said it was healthier...

Aside from the obvious fact that summer greens are better when fresh, do any of you follow this drinking pattern, or think it's a good idea?

Dec 19th, '17, 09:40
Vendor Member

Re: Drinking different teas in summer or winter

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '17, 09:40

HotLeafJuice wrote: I've heard once from someone from China that they prefer drinking green teas only in summer and pu erhs usually in winter.

I don't remember the whole explanation behind this habit, but they said it was healthier...

Aside from the obvious fact that summer greens are better when fresh, do any of you follow this drinking pattern, or think it's a good idea?
I used to try to, but now I just drink whatever I feel like! Shu pu this morning followed by Okinawan green jasmine right now (10 pm)!

Dec 19th, '17, 15:05

by HotLeafJuice » Dec 19th, '17, 15:05

Cool! I'm trying to focus on pu erh this winter, because it really eases colds, and because it's more expensive to diversify tea drinking that to focus on one type...

Dec 19th, '17, 23:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '17, 23:55

HotLeafJuice wrote: Cool! I'm trying to focus on pu erh this winter, because it really eases colds, and because it's more expensive to diversify tea drinking that to focus on one type...
I've heard people say ripe pu erh specifically causes depression in winter...but like I said the last time I mentioned this...it might just be that people are staying inside and drinking tea and having to contend with Seasonal Affective Disorder!

Dec 20th, '17, 23:30

by chingwa » Dec 20th, '17, 23:30

To me this just sounds like a practical way of drinking tea, inherited from times past. Drinking Greens while they are fresher and more readily available in the Spring, and then switching to an aged or fermented tea, prepared and stored ahead of time for the winter months. Not unlike canning or pickling fruits/vegetables in the spring/summer for use in the winter.

Personally I drink Japanese greens year round. #Rebel

+ Post Reply