Recent problems with teas, can you help?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 1st, '19, 10:21

Recent problems with teas, can you help?

by Teamaker2019 » Mar 1st, '19, 10:21

I have had success making hot tea for years, used several companies and tried hundreds of flavors. But, lately, I have come across a problem that I don't know how to avoid. Maybe you can tell me if it is inferior tea. Some loose-leaf teas that I order do not arrive as leaves, but rather something that resembles sand. It is nearly impossible to filter without leaving sediment in the pot or cup. When I strain it, it looks like black sand. I don't want to name companies but I got some tea as a gift for the holiday and 2 out of the 3 were these black pellets that were not leaves at all. They were English Breakfast and English Afternoon flavors so I have had both of those before in leaf form with no problem. How can I order tea in the future and make sure it does not arrive in this form? It's not broken leaves, it is just not like leaves at all. Thanks for any answers, I am new to this forum and thankful for any advice! :D

Mar 4th, '19, 21:08
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Recent problems with teas, can you help?

by rdl » Mar 4th, '19, 21:08

Teamaker2019 wrote: I have had success making hot tea for years, used several companies and tried hundreds of flavors. But, lately, I have come across a problem that I don't know how to avoid. Maybe you can tell me if it is inferior tea. Some loose-leaf teas that I order do not arrive as leaves, but rather something that resembles sand. It is nearly impossible to filter without leaving sediment in the pot or cup. When I strain it, it looks like black sand. I don't want to name companies but I got some tea as a gift for the holiday and 2 out of the 3 were these black pellets that were not leaves at all. They were English Breakfast and English Afternoon flavors so I have had both of those before in leaf form with no problem. How can I order tea in the future and make sure it does not arrive in this form? It's not broken leaves, it is just not like leaves at all. Thanks for any answers, I am new to this forum and thankful for any advice! :D
Teamaker2019,
There is CTC tea.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush,_ ... AHoECAoQAg
But maybe you answered your question. The tea you received is not from a reputable tea shop. Without more information about what the tea is and where it's from, my guess is CTC, or dispose of it if you just cannot drink it.

+ Post Reply