Aged Bai MuDan (white peonies)

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

May 24th, '17, 08:49

Aged Bai MuDan (white peonies)

by doudou » May 24th, '17, 08:49

I just purchased some aged bai mu dan while traveling. Not really sure if there are any guidelines on the best brewing method. I searched online but they are mostly for actually fresh white tea and not aged. I have being brewing it like light oolong. Any advice?

May 24th, '17, 09:45

Re: Aged Bai MuDan (white peonies)

by kuánglóng » May 24th, '17, 09:45

doudou wrote: I just purchased some aged bai mu dan while traveling. Not really sure if there are any guidelines on the best brewing method. I searched online but they are mostly for actually fresh white tea and not aged. I have being brewing it like light oolong. Any advice?
I usually brew BMD in a preheated porcelain gaiwan or pot with a starting temperature of about 80°C and adjust from there not at last because they can be very temperature sensitive and I rather start out a bit lower than too high.
(I have a BMD cake in my stash that has somewhat of a turning point almost exactly around 80°C. Brewed slightly lower it has distinct notes of cloves and gingerbread spices, above 82°C the taste profile is dominated by notes of steamed celery. (I was able to reproduce this effect a number of times and stayed slightly below 80°C for this specific cake from there on.)

May 24th, '17, 09:59

by doudou » May 24th, '17, 09:59

kuánglóng wrote:
doudou wrote: I just purchased some aged bai mu dan while traveling. Not really sure if there are any guidelines on the best brewing method. I searched online but they are mostly for actually fresh white tea and not aged. I have being brewing it like light oolong. Any advice?
I usually brew BMD in a preheated porcelain gaiwan or pot with a starting temperature of about 80°C and adjust from there not at last because they can be very temperature sensitive and I rather start out a bit lower than too high.
(I have a BMD cake in my stash that has somewhat of a turning point almost exactly around 80°C. Brewed slightly lower it has distinct notes of cloves and gingerbread spices, above 82°C the taste profile is dominated by notes of steamed celery. (I was able to reproduce this effect a number of times and stayed slightly below 80°C for this specific cake from there on.)
That's really helpful. I will try brewing at 80C for this tea.

May 24th, '17, 10:02

by kuánglóng » May 24th, '17, 10:02

doudou wrote: That's really helpful. I will try brewing at 80C for this tea.
Just take it as a starting point and feel free to move on from there.

May 24th, '17, 20:56

by Bef » May 24th, '17, 20:56

I usually use boiling water with aged white.

May 30th, '17, 09:39

by doudou » May 30th, '17, 09:39

I think I found a good way of drinking of this tea. First brew which was discarded I used boiling water in order to allow the leaves to expand. 80 degree water is not hot enough to do this. I used 80 degree water for subsequent brews and it worked out really well. Anything over 80 degree you do get a watery celery taste.

Jun 7th, '17, 21:49

by janet11 » Jun 7th, '17, 21:49

Is there any differences between aged tea and the normal one?

Jun 14th, '17, 05:37

by chrl42 » Jun 14th, '17, 05:37

White tea is quite good with ageing..it's not difficult tea to brew..

I'd take about 90~95c for the aged ones, slightly lower for younger ones,

the decision is up to anyone.. :P

+ Post Reply