white tea addiction!

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Dec 3rd, '07, 01:15

Re: white tea addiction!

by Satine » Dec 3rd, '07, 01:15

oldgirl.haewon wrote:I don't know if anyone has already asked a similar question, there are many posts! But I drink 5-6 cups of white tea a day, at first because of it's high level of polyphenols, but am I over-doing it/is there any harm?

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Dr. Andrew Weil (one of America's 100 most influential people) but he's an M.D. in integrative medicine and supports the idea of drinking white and green tea. I'm an avid fan of his I guess you could say :) and I read more of his views again lately. Although tea does contain fluoride, you'd have to drink hundreds of cups a day for it to be toxic. Having a few cups a day is very good for us according to him (and according to Teavana and otherwise) and the small amount of fluoride teas provide us protect us from gingivitis.
Heal Thyself,
Satine

Dec 3rd, '07, 09:51

by Mary R » Dec 3rd, '07, 09:51

I've got to admit, I'm not a fan of the august Dr. Weil. Growing up, most of my friends were the sons and daughters of doctors and other health professionals and I quickly learned that the medical profession largely considers a doctor endorsing any particular product in very bad taste. Until recently, for instance, products you saw on TV were always designed by some unnamed doctor precisely for this reason. It was also looked down on to profit from such ventures. The idea was that if you profited, your advice was not impartial and lost a lot of trust. (With human nature being what it is, though, I'm sure lots of people just turned their head on that one.)

Dr. Weil, however, has a whole line of Dr. Andrew Weil branded Ito En bottled teas...including a turmeric flavor. I'm sure he's a very intelligent man and a good doctor, but because he stands to directly profit from his advice, I'm inclined to take it with a side of salt.

Dec 3rd, '07, 12:59

by Satine » Dec 3rd, '07, 12:59

Dr. Weil, however, has a whole line of Dr. Andrew Weil branded Ito En bottled teas...including a turmeric flavor. I'm sure he's a very intelligent man and a good doctor, but because he stands to directly profit from his advice, I'm inclined to take it with a side of salt.
Yeah, the line you mentioned is at "Origins" a store inside of Macy's, and his line is called "Plantidote." I do understand your concern and uncertainty from your experience. My experience came from a different place, and not necessarily better--just different. I was a Chris Reeve fan, and read his biographies and then when he died I'd already been part of the CRPF (his foundation for paralysis.) At that point I learned that his wife had lung cancer yet never smoked and so I started reading up on what she was doing for prevention and she was turning to integrative medicine. Although she did not survive, this is how I came upon reading about Dr. Weil. Also, less than a year later my sister was diagnosed with NHL and so it integrative medicine helped me cope with her cancer. She was getting CHOP chemo, but was allowed to drink teas to boost her immune system. And Weil supports this idea too. Right now she's in remission and we're hoping for the best. Even so, I don't claim to believe that any _man_ can be a miracle-maker and never try to be too radical in any direction. Having said that, I do however use the Plantidote line myself and am a regular poster on Weil's forum online.
Heal Thyself,
Satine

Dec 3rd, '07, 14:10

by Mary R » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:10

I'm glad to hear your sister is in remission. I hope she's beat it permanently.

Dec 3rd, '07, 14:16

by Wesli » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:16

Word to your sister

Dec 3rd, '07, 14:57

by bambooforest » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:57

Satine, I wish your sister complete health and vibrancy.

I've seen a few health guru's out there. Frankly, Dr. Andrew Weil *is* my mentor in terms of health. I do indeed trust him, and consult with his writings often.

For those interested, his website can be found here:

www.drweil.com

Dec 3rd, '07, 15:02

by bambooforest » Dec 3rd, '07, 15:02

It is my understanding that his profits are going towards his foundation. Not sure if all are, but some information:

The Weil Foundation, a not-for-profit, independent 501(c)(3) organization founded by Andrew Weil, M.D., in September 2004, is dedicated to supporting integrative medicine through training, education, and research.

*Edit* I saw somewhere else that a portion goes. Bottom line is, some percentage goes. True, I don't know what it is.

The Weil Foundation seeks to:

• Improve the training of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and allied health professionals.

• Educate the public about health, healing, and lifestyle.

• Reform public policies governing health care and the practice of medicine.

• Expand and deepen research in integrative medicine.

The Weil Foundation intends to raise at least $10 million over the next five years. The principal donor is Andrew Weil, M.D., who has pledged his after-tax profits from the sale of Weil Lifestyle, LLC, retail products. Among other donors to the Foundation are individuals, corporations, and foundations who believe in the promise of integrative medicine.

Mary wrote:

Dec 3rd, '07, 17:59

by Space Samurai » Dec 3rd, '07, 17:59

Yes his after tax profits all go to the foundation.

I have tried the teas and they are remarkably good.

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/2007 ... r-tea.html

(After yesterdays conversation, I feel bad dropping this link, but it is quite relevant).

+ Post Reply