Silverneedle: do I brew it right

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

May 16th, '19, 21:56

Silverneedle: do I brew it right

by Patrice » May 16th, '19, 21:56

Hello,

It's the first time I brew white tea. I just received some silver needle white tea Silver Needle White Tea and want to make sure I brew it right.

I used 70 ml of water at 80c for 1 tbs of tea. Waited 6 sec and served. I did the same for 3 infusion (I'm about to try a 4th infusion at 8 sec this time).

The liquid is very clear and mild. There's a nice sweetness to it (very light but still there). Frankly, I never drank white tea before so I can't compare.

Thank you

May 22nd, '19, 05:54

Re: Silverneedle: do I brew it right

by Teasenz » May 22nd, '19, 05:54

I find Silver Needle quite a flexible tea when it comes to brewing. I brew it at 80ºC as well and I think that's good. There's some differences between individual Silver Needles, and depending on the teaware you use, one has to adjust the steeping time. It generally looks right. Also try to brew it grandpa style. It works well with Silver Needle.

May 28th, '19, 08:21

by teapro » May 28th, '19, 08:21

I think you should experiment with the temperature. We've brewed it at 75°C before but also at 90°C and it's interesting to see how the higher temperature brings out more fruity, full bodied and rich notes while the lower temperature keeps the flavour smooth and delicate.
Let me know what you think!

May 31st, '19, 21:26

by Patrice » May 31st, '19, 21:26

Thank you for your replies

Teasenz: could you explain what that grandpa style is?

Teapro: I'll play with the temperature. That's a good idea

Jun 2nd, '19, 11:15

by Patrice » Jun 2nd, '19, 11:15

Teapro: I will definitely experiment with the temperature. So far I was not impressed with it (maybe just because I'm used to tea that are stronger in flavor). Who knows, I might find the right "setting" for that tea.

Teasenz: can you say more about that grandpa style thing?

Thank you!

Jun 13th, '19, 11:03

by Yoda » Jun 13th, '19, 11:03

Hi, did you manage to find the right parameters for your taste?

I've tried it today for the first time, and I used approx. 5g per 100-120ml and brewed the first infusion for 40s at 80°C, and then extended brewing times on later infusions by 5s.

The taste on the fist one was light yet really flowery/honey like. The later infusions had a stronger taste of honey/really sweet, almost too sweet for my liking.

It seems that OP and replyers brew for a very short time.

Since I have only 5g left, I was hoping to get some pointers on how to try brewing it on my second attempt. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :D

Jun 17th, '19, 08:20

by Patrice » Jun 17th, '19, 08:20

Yoda wrote: Hi, did you manage to find the right parameters for your taste?

I've tried it today for the first time, and I used approx. 5g per 100-120ml and brewed the first infusion for 40s at 80°C, and then extended brewing times on later infusions by 5s.

The taste on the fist one was light yet really flowery/honey like. The later infusions had a stronger taste of honey/really sweet, almost too sweet for my liking.

It seems that OP and replyers brew for a very short time.

Since I have only 5g left, I was hoping to get some pointers on how to try brewing it on my second attempt. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :D
Hi,

I did pretty much the same as you did and increased the dose and infusion time to 40-50 sec. It was much better.

Nov 5th, '21, 13:59

by Xyldor » Nov 5th, '21, 13:59

teapro wrote: I think you should experiment with the temperature. We've brewed it at 75°C before but also at 90°C and it's interesting to see how the higher temperature brings out more fruity, full bodied and rich notes while the lower temperature keeps the flavour smooth and delicate.
Let me know what you think!
Generally Fujian Bai Hao Yin Zhen is brewed at 80°C for the first brew. Personally I prefer a slightly longer first brew time, until the soup is a light yellow colourt determinable aroma. I find the best method of determining the brew time is by judging the colour and aroma. The second brew is usually 90°C+ and for longer, again until it achieves that same light yellow colour. The two brews are quite different in characteristic. Bai Hao Yin Zhen does not do well as a third brew, as is the case with most whites.

+ Post Reply