Favorite Board Game?

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

May 15th, '15, 13:46

Favorite Board Game?

by InTeaItrust » May 15th, '15, 13:46

My favorite board game is Monopoly. I have been playing since I was a kid and still love playing it to this day. 8)

May 15th, '15, 16:55

Re: Favorite Board Game?

by Fuut » May 15th, '15, 16:55

This ^.

And Risk (although nowadays i generally do it more online than downstairs).

May 15th, '15, 18:00

by PurplePotato » May 15th, '15, 18:00

Dominion. I own all eight(!) expansions and have played this game a ridiculous number of times. You start with a set number of simple cards in a personal deck, and then you build this deck by buying cards from a central pool. The pool of available cards changes each game, and you build your deck around whatever combinations you think will work well best together. Kind of like a Collectable Card Game, but you build your deck while you are playing. Here's a picture of the box house all of the cards, with a deck of playing cards for reference:
1.jpg
1.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Honorable mentions go to Settlers of Catan and Sentinels of the Multiverse. You can see a map for Settlers of Catan in the background of the above picture, which sits permanently on our dining room table under a sheet of glass. I play a lot of board games.

May 15th, '15, 21:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 15th, '15, 21:10

Risk
Chess

May 15th, '15, 21:31

by entropyembrace » May 15th, '15, 21:31

Settlers of Catan! what a great game :D

I like Battletech too, but never play it as a board game. It's much more manageable with the java implementation: Megamek.

Chess is my favourite though :mrgreen:

May 15th, '15, 22:40

by pedant » May 15th, '15, 22:40

go

May 16th, '15, 08:53

by iGo » May 16th, '15, 08:53

+1

May 17th, '15, 20:26

by BagzDeep » May 17th, '15, 20:26

Not technically a board game but I was very into "Magic the gathering" in the late 90's. Great strategy quotient and the whole chase for those power cards was really addicting. Has anyone seen some of those cards selling? Black lotuses from the right time period are very sought after! I had a sweet mountain manta based deck with a lot of goblins and fire ball type spells. Might have to try to dig out the old decks and cast me some spells!!

Jun 9th, '15, 09:47
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jun 9th, '15, 09:47

pedant wrote:go

Hikaru no Go manga long time ago got me interested in Go and still my most favorite game. Soon can start playing again, didn't touch stones in quite a while. Played chess when i was in school, but personally i think Go is a lot more interesting :)

Jun 29th, '15, 13:34

by kstolz3419 » Jun 29th, '15, 13:34

My List:

Settlers of Catan
Mouse Trap (old game - like early 90's)
The Farming Game
Chess

Also love many card games like phase 10, dutch blitz, skip-bo, bang, mogel-motte, hanabi, etc...

Jul 1st, '15, 17:55

by Devoted135 » Jul 1st, '15, 17:55

Oh man, where to begin? Strategy games are our household weakness. :)

Settlers, Acquire, Dominion, Descent (2nd ed), Battlestar Galactica, Ghost Stories, Lords of Waterdeep, Yggdrasil, Arkham Horror, Eclipse, Legendary...
I could go on, but I won't :mrgreen:

Jul 8th, '15, 21:05

by shudaizi » Jul 8th, '15, 21:05

Devoted135 wrote:Oh man, where to begin? Strategy games are our household weakness. :)

Settlers, Acquire, Dominion, Descent (2nd ed), Battlestar Galactica, Ghost Stories, Lords of Waterdeep, Yggdrasil, Arkham Horror, Eclipse, Legendary...
Ours too! Way too many to list, but highlights include (asterisks are card-based games though not necessarily with a standard deck):

Bohnanza*
El Grande
Tigris and Euphrates
Backgammon
Twilight Struggle
Haggis*
Crokinole (wonderful dexterity game)
Race for the Galaxy*
Court of the Medici*
Cribbage*

BGG (boardgamegeek) is almost as dangerous a site as teachat for us :-)

Sep 1st, '15, 23:56

by Jaymo » Sep 1st, '15, 23:56

I play a LOT of board games and RPGs, so it's tough to pick just one or two.

Lately I've played a couple games of Forbidden Stars that were a lot of fun! I was running an Imperial Assault campaign for awhile. (It is the same game engine as Descent, but Star Wars themed.) For a lighter/quicker game, I enjoy Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I recently got invited to be part of a play test group for Fantasy Flight games and am excited about that! In the meantime, we are planning to run a full campaign of either Imperial Assault or Descent (2.0) this coming Sunday.

Although it isn't a board game, I enjoy Dice Masters (Wiz Kids) as well.

Sep 2nd, '15, 13:08

by entropyembrace » Sep 2nd, '15, 13:08

Devoted135 wrote:Oh man, where to begin? Strategy games are our household weakness. :)

Arkham Horror is really fun but it takes my family 6 hours to get through a game with just 3 people :shock:

And with cats we have to take photos and pack everything away if we take a break.

Dec 20th, '15, 11:30

by Devoted135 » Dec 20th, '15, 11:30

We were recently gifted Dead of Winter, which is the perfect game for people who love Battlestar but want it to be a third as long (or shorter) and a third as complicated. And the Firefly game is our Christmas present to ourselves this year. :D
Jaymo wrote: I recently got invited to be part of a play test group for Fantasy Flight games and am excited about that! In the meantime, we are planning to run a full campaign of either Imperial Assault or Descent (2.0) this coming Sunday.
Oh wow, I'm so jealous! We love Fantasy Flight games. :) (And we just played Betrayal last week, I always get so nervous because I hate being the traitor!)

entropyembrace wrote:

Arkham Horror is really fun but it takes my family 6 hours to get through a game with just 3 people :shock:

And with cats we have to take photos and pack everything away if we take a break.
Yes, we have the same issue. It's such a long set up though that we only play when we have enough time and energy to play through the whole game.

+ Post Reply