Where can I find ancient tea art paintings?

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Sep 10th, '15, 11:48

Where can I find ancient tea art paintings?

by djtanng » Sep 10th, '15, 11:48

Lately I've been looking on the web for high resolution pics of ancient art to print out and hang on my walls. My first test subject was the Mona Lisa, which was easy because I knew what it was called and found it with google quicky.

What I really want is ancient Asian tea art paintings from hundreds of years ago. I don't know the names of any and when I searched google with "ancient tea art paintings" it gave me needles in hay stacks.

Do any of you know the names of famous paintings, or know of any web sites that display a lot of ancient tea art paintings?

Sep 11th, '15, 16:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Where can I find ancient tea art paintings?

by Proinsias » Sep 11th, '15, 16:15

I don't know much about tea art paintings at all. But for Mona Lisa-esque classics from the east tht can be found in decent quality fairly easily maybe try looking around the Chinese & Japanese masters.

Sesshu Toyo, Guo Xi, Zhang Zeduan, Chen Rong are a few I have saved in my wallpaper folder. Tea features more in the way of the occasional teashop in a city scroll or a tiny figure dotted in a far corner with a single faint brushstroke that might just be a cup of tea, that is to say more part of the environment than the focus on it.

Another option may be calligraphy, it has long held the company of tea drinkers.

Good luck and hopefully someone more knowledgable turns up.

edit: I'd be printing Guo Xi's - Early Spring as a test run.

Sep 12th, '15, 22:20

by djtanng » Sep 12th, '15, 22:20

Proinsias wrote:I don't know much about tea art paintings at all. But for Mona Lisa-esque classics from the east tht can be found in decent quality fairly easily maybe try looking around the Chinese & Japanese masters.

Sesshu Toyo, Guo Xi, Zhang Zeduan, Chen Rong are a few I have saved in my wallpaper folder. Tea features more in the way of the occasional teashop in a city scroll or a tiny figure dotted in a far corner with a single faint brushstroke that might just be a cup of tea, that is to say more part of the environment than the focus on it.

Another option may be calligraphy, it has long held the company of tea drinkers.

Good luck and hopefully someone more knowledgable turns up.

edit: I'd be printing Guo Xi's - Early Spring as a test run.
Thanks, that's a good start. I found that "Early Spring" pic on the web and added that to my collection too. Nice!

Sep 13th, '15, 12:48

by Tsubo » Sep 13th, '15, 12:48

You can also check many museum's databases : http://imageresources.weebly.com/museum-sites.html

Sep 17th, '15, 14:46

by thirst » Sep 17th, '15, 14:46

There’s also this book called »中国茶画 (Chinese Painting on Tea)«. Maybe that’d be good as a starting point. Don’t have it though, don’t know how useful it is. I guess you could order it via a Taobao agent. There was a preview online that included the table of content so you could theoretically try to find all the listed pictures on the web but I can’t find it anymore

Sep 19th, '15, 20:25

by ClarG » Sep 19th, '15, 20:25

Search google for Ancient Chinese, Japanese, and Indian/Desi artwork that has to do with tea.

Sep 20th, '15, 11:33

by kyarazen » Sep 20th, '15, 11:33

djtanng wrote:Lately I've been looking on the web for high resolution pics of ancient art to print out and hang on my walls. My first test subject was the Mona Lisa, which was easy because I knew what it was called and found it with google quicky.

What I really want is ancient Asian tea art paintings from hundreds of years ago. I don't know the names of any and when I searched google with "ancient tea art paintings" it gave me needles in hay stacks.

Do any of you know the names of famous paintings, or know of any web sites that display a lot of ancient tea art paintings?
enjoy.

http://www.woosee.com/zhongguotea/chayi ... meishu.htm

you can get a replica either by commissioning someone to do it or to see if the taipei palace museum has one for sale.

Oct 9th, '15, 08:47

by thirst » Oct 9th, '15, 08:47

If anyone cares…found the preview that includes the TOC of 中国茶画 again:
http://www.bj.cxstar.cn/basedata/format ... 002b73XXXX

+ Post Reply