New Look, Work in Progress...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Mar 16th, '16, 22:13

Re: New Look, Work in Progress...

by Bok » Mar 16th, '16, 22:13

postby debunix » Mar 16th, '16, 23:57
Black on white is best for reading, black on grey is harder for those with less perfect eyes
Actually, on a screen black and white is not at all easy to read.
The contrast of glowing white (from the screen)) and deep black is too strong and creates a flickering which is not very good for ones eyes.

That is why most serious webdesigners will never use a pure white background but a very very light grey, or a dark grey for the text. That is easier on the eyes.

Apart from that legibility depneds on many more factors than just colour.
Typeface, typesizes, weight of the type, spacing of letters and interlignage are all equally important.

Not as easy as black and white :mrgreen:

Mar 17th, '16, 00:07

by pedant » Mar 17th, '16, 00:07

well, i do think the new logo is nice

Mar 17th, '16, 05:12

by Alex » Mar 17th, '16, 05:12

For me it's a step down in every department. Loved the old look and layout. Can't see anything I like in this new layout. Can't see my self posting as much with this layout. Hopefully others will like the new look though, but it's not for me. :D

Mar 17th, '16, 07:05

by thirst » Mar 17th, '16, 07:05

Above all, I’d like active topics to come back; the link http://www.teachat.com/search.php?searc ... ive_topics kindly posted by Debunix doesn’t seem to work properly (it doesn’t really show the last posts!).

While I definitely prefer the older styling, the new one doesn’t deter me from reading Teachat; the above issue does.

Mar 17th, '16, 09:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 17th, '16, 09:13

Yes, many thighs need to be fixed, but I have to say the website runs faster (at least on my laptop) and generally speaking I have to say that I appreciate the Adagio's staff still take care of this forum after so many years .. I learned so much (and met so many great people) thanks to this forum that I will never be grateful enough to the Adagio's staff.

Ps. Changing the colour of the theme should be rather easy, so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Mar 17th, '16, 10:29

by MacGuffin » Mar 17th, '16, 10:29

For what it’s worth, Teachat works on both Saf and FF here (10.11.3).
It was working on both browsers by the time I got home, thank goodness. Even though I don't post too often, I do a lot of lurking. :)

What happened to being able to reply to specific posts? Still not liking this format very much but am very appreciative that it's back. Thanks, Adagio!

Mar 17th, '16, 11:13
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 17th, '16, 11:13

How does one send a PM? I don't see a "submit" nor a "send" box.

Mar 17th, '16, 12:04

by Drax » Mar 17th, '16, 12:04

William wrote:Yes, many thighs need to be fixed
This made me giggle. :D

Mar 17th, '16, 12:06

by debunix » Mar 17th, '16, 12:06

Post by thirst » Mar 17th, '16, 03:05
Above all, I’d like active topics to come back; the link search.php?search_id=active_topics kindly posted by Debunix doesn’t seem to work properly (it doesn’t really show the last posts!).
The old quote function was so much easier...and you're absolutely right, the link I posted is busted: it shows one snapshot in time from when I first used it, and has not updated. Use this link instead, which shows new posts properly--thanks to CWarren for this one.

Mar 17th, '16, 16:11

by thirst » Mar 17th, '16, 16:11

Ah, thank you. Too bad it only works when you’re logged in.

Mar 17th, '16, 17:54

by Proinsias » Mar 17th, '16, 17:54

Thanks Adagio & Chip for keeping this place going.

I wasn't crazy about the old look so a little change is welcome.

With Firefox on Android it is a big improvement, much easier to read and navigate. Not as convinced when accessing from Firefox on the desktop, clunky and awkward. It feels like it was designed with touchscreen devices in mind.

The loss of active/new posts button had me worried but as the code still works I suspect a button will be along shortly.

A post reply button at the bottom of each thread page would be nice to have back too. Scrolling back to the top of the thread I just read to reply hurts my head.

Mar 17th, '16, 20:38

by William » Mar 17th, '16, 20:38

As always Drax, your posts are extremely helpful for the entire community! :D

Mar 17th, '16, 23:10

by Devoted135 » Mar 17th, '16, 23:10

I've spent several minutes clicking around and here's what I've come up with:

Quote buttons, because having to copy/paste is crazy. A quote button straight from the thread (like before) would be ideal.
The "recap" of the thread that shows the most recent posts under the reply text box does a poor job of visually separating the previous posts.
I wouldn't mind a color scheme change in general, but I dislike this purple/grey thing in specific.
We NEED a way to go to the last page of a thread.
Why are the page numbers only at the bottom and the Post Reply button only at the top?? Both should be in both locations.
Posts should be editable.
The "Home > Welcome > TeaChat Announcements" navigation links at the top move sometimes. For example, in the "General/Other Tea" subforum they are all the way to the right, above the poll.

Mar 17th, '16, 23:56

by entropyembrace » Mar 17th, '16, 23:56

I'm someone who really likes purple (and purple tea)...

but...

I find the text is really harder to read.

The forum in general is a bit harder to navigate for reasons others have already gone into detail on...

I'm really missing the functionality of the recent threads button

And I'm really sad that the live chat / instant messenger is gone :cry:

Mar 18th, '16, 03:42

by Bok » Mar 18th, '16, 03:42

No matter the good intentions of this change, I suddenly find my usage of Teachat dropping to almost zero, due to the inconveniant usage… :|

+ Post Reply