New Look, Work in Progress...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Mar 30th, '16, 17:58

Re: New Look, Work in Progress...

by bintuborg » Mar 30th, '16, 17:58

I dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but please let there be a way to filter the forums by most recent posts! I have to manually look at each thread's date to see if there are updates. Also, I would appreciate if the threads default was set to descending and not ascending...

Mar 30th, '16, 19:22

by pizzapotamus » Mar 30th, '16, 19:22

bintuborg wrote:Also, I would appreciate if the threads default was set to descending and not ascending...
You should be able to set that yourself "User Control Panel"->"Board Preferences"->"Edit Display Options" . I think display post order direction is what you're after? If in threads actually did get changed to newest first with no way of changing it back I'd be gone though, hate trying to read things in reverse.

Edit: hey the edit button is back!

Mar 30th, '16, 23:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 30th, '16, 23:19

pizzapotamus wrote:
bintuborg wrote:Also, I would appreciate if the threads default was set to descending and not ascending...
You should be able to set that yourself "User Control Panel"->"Board Preferences"->"Edit Display Options" . I think display post order direction is what you're after? If in threads actually did get changed to newest first with no way of changing it back I'd be gone though, hate trying to read things in reverse.

PMs appear to be back too!

Mar 30th, '16, 23:50

by Bok » Mar 30th, '16, 23:50

jayinhk wrote:
pizzapotamus wrote:

PMs appear to be back too!
Not to forget the Post reply button after each post :D

Mar 31st, '16, 00:30

by pedant » Mar 31st, '16, 00:30

it might require a phpbb mod, but i have a suggestion:

the way i remember it, the 'view active topics' feature basically showed you a list of threads (from all subforums) sorted by recent activity.

it was limited by x number of threads (the thread list was consistently a few pages long).

it was a nice way to see activity on the forum.

whereas something like this (i don't totally understand what it's showing me) does not show you a few pages of threads sorted by recent activity
http://www.teachat.com/search.php?search_id=newposts#

i personally prefer the old behavior more. were you guys using a mod before for that?

Mar 31st, '16, 03:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 31st, '16, 03:29

pedant wrote:it might require a phpbb mod, but i have a suggestion:

the way i remember it, the 'view active topics' feature basically showed you a list of threads (from all subforums) sorted by recent activity.

it was limited by x number of threads (the thread list was consistently a few pages long).

it was a nice way to see activity on the forum.

whereas something like this (i don't totally understand what it's showing me) does not show you a few pages of threads sorted by recent activity
http://www.teachat.com/search.php?search_id=newposts#

i personally prefer the old behavior more. were you guys using a mod before for that?
That was a crucial feature that many of us used...hope we get it back!

Mar 31st, '16, 10:17
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 31st, '16, 10:17

PMs: Still do not see a way to submit the PM after writing the reply.

To Julie: Not nagging, "encouraging" rather. Thanks.

An easy-to-use "View New Posts" click & seeing threads in descending order or on the last page easily keeps teachat alive. I & others who are almost totally computer-illiterate participate almost as well as those who are really on top of apps etc., when teachat is easy to use.

Cheers

Mar 31st, '16, 12:25
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 31st, '16, 12:25

Ethan, sorry to get your hopes up buddy! I saw a PM link on someone's profile and didnt realize the send button was still missing. :(

Mar 31st, '16, 20:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 31st, '16, 20:30

And now they really are back!

Mar 31st, '16, 21:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 31st, '16, 21:25

Just sent you a PM, Jay. Please let me know if you received it. Thanks.

This is still obviously a work in progress, but we will get there!

Mar 31st, '16, 22:25
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 31st, '16, 22:25

Received and replied! The button says submit vs send and when I reply it says my message was submitted, but PMs are indeed working again!

Apr 1st, '16, 04:15

by Pig Hog » Apr 1st, '16, 04:15

To be fair, I always use tapatalk to view the forum on the phone, so I'm not all that bothered by the change...but, as mentioned by someone a few pages back, tapatalk isn't working and it's presumably related to the changes.

Booted me out the other day and now doesn't respond when I try to log in.

Apr 1st, '16, 05:17

by Bok » Apr 1st, '16, 05:17

That feature is a neat addition:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 17.15.59.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 17.15.59.png (14.86 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Apr 1st, '16, 11:39

by debunix » Apr 1st, '16, 11:39

If someone else posted about this problem, I missed it: I can no longer link to an individual post. This is a serious problem for making use of the long history of excellent information in this forum.

Here's the problem in a nutshell: I posted in the Pu of the Day topic about a tea I'd written about in some detail previously, and for this new post, I simply wanted to mention one element of the tea's flavor and share a link to the original post in case someone wanted more information.

I was able to use advanced search to find my post, but there is no longer a symbol next to the post topic title to link directly to that specific post only. Whether I use a link found via TeaChat search or via a site-specific google search, searches that clearly identify my post directly, I can only link to the page with the original post, not the post itself. This means someone has to have the patience to go through the page and I have to hope that they can find the right post, which means few people will do it, and the value of referring to posts elsewhere is largely lost.

FIX THIS!, please. It is a vital part of the educational aspect of this forum.

Apr 1st, '16, 13:49
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 1st, '16, 13:49

And 'Active Topics' is back!

Along the top, we have:

Notifications / Private messages / Active topics / User Control Panel / Your posts / Members /
Advanced search

I think each word should have its first letter capitalized for consistency. A minor concern, but it would just look better that way IMO!

+ Post Reply