New Look, Work in Progress...

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Mar 18th, '16, 06:43

Re: New Look, Work in Progress...

by Rui » Mar 18th, '16, 06:43

Another thing that it has to be looked is "Today's Post". It shows a post of 28/12/2015 which is not even a Poll.

Mar 18th, '16, 06:52

by .m. » Mar 18th, '16, 06:52

OMG, Bok, you've managed to write in font font that is readable, that's awesome :) i'm joining

I totally agree, the longer this goes on the greater the likelihood of people migrating to other platforms and of teachat slowly dying :(

Mar 18th, '16, 06:55

by .m. » Mar 18th, '16, 06:55

strange... what was a black font just a while ago is now grey...

Mar 18th, '16, 08:39

by Frisbeehead » Mar 18th, '16, 08:39

I just don't get why it was necessary to change the color scheme and setup of the site. I understand if they had to fix and update some things, but why change the layout to something totally different? The previous layout was great; it was readable, the color scheme was easy on the eyes, finding new posts was easy, it had convenient functions like quoting and active topics.

I wonder if it would be possible to revert to the old layout (or a better one) in the near future? I really don't want to see this place die because of poor layout and functioning choices, this is where I've learned so much about tea. This is a great community and it would suck to see it fall apart due to this. Hopefully they see our comments and feel the same, and thus revert to the old layout or fix the issues with a new one.

Mar 18th, '16, 09:44

by Jayaratna » Mar 18th, '16, 09:44

I really miss the "go to the first unread message" (or whatever it was named) button very much!

Mar 18th, '16, 11:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Mar 18th, '16, 11:55

A few more things:

I rely heavily on the ability to see whether a subforum has any unread posts within it. Right now I have to click on the subforum to see if there has been any new activity. I may be in the minority, but this is actually a big deal for me.

What's the difference between the lightbulb shaped icon and the circular scrolling icon? And they are red/blue depending on whether there are unread posts, but that is overlapping duty with the "view unread posts" icon...

Mar 18th, '16, 17:42

by Drax » Mar 18th, '16, 17:42

Bok wrote:No matter the good intentions of this change, I suddenly find my usage of Teachat dropping to almost zero, due to the inconveniant usage… :|
Ditto. Also the lack of any further information, even a "we got it, standby," is rather disappointing.

Mar 18th, '16, 18:51

by thirst » Mar 18th, '16, 18:51

So I’m not a programmer or anything and my knowledge of CSS is basically non-existent, but if you use something like the Stylebot extension on Chrome you can do a few easy changes without a lot of background knowledge.

Don’t know if posting a link to the bit of custom CSS I just added to Stylebot Social is against forum rules because it’s not in the Etiquette and the Terms and Conditions button doesn’t seem to work.

Anyway, I only changed a few things and lots more could be done, but if you go to the Stylebot website and search for teachat you’ll find it.

Visual changes only, of course (?).

Mar 18th, '16, 23:11

by Whalebreath » Mar 18th, '16, 23:11

Very poorly planned the so called 'new look' is totally amateur and needs professional input.

Mar 19th, '16, 07:18
TeawareArtisan Member

by inge » Mar 19th, '16, 07:18

by Frisbeehead » Mar 18th, '16, 13:39
I just don't get why it was necessary to change the color scheme and setup of the site. I understand if they had to fix and update some things, but why change the layout to something totally different? The previous layout was great; it was readable, the color scheme was easy on the eyes, finding new posts was easy, it had convenient functions like quoting and active topics.

I wonder if it would be possible to revert to the old layout (or a better one) in the near future? I really don't want to see this place die because of poor layout and functioning choices, this is where I've learned so much about tea. This is a great community and it would suck to see it fall apart due to this. Hopefully they see our comments and feel the same, and thus revert to the old layout or fix the issues with a new one.
I second Frisbeehead on all of the above.
The only real improvement I see is that pics are opened in full.

Mar 19th, '16, 16:23

by chai » Mar 19th, '16, 16:23

I really don't like the new layout! To me,it looks cold and ugly. The old layout looked so nice and cozy! Why was it neccessary to change the layout? I understand that it's neccessary to update the forum now and then,but why changing the layout for the worse? :?

Mar 19th, '16, 16:52

by laura99 » Mar 19th, '16, 16:52

Agree with all that some work needs to be done here. Most of my browsing of the forums is in tapatalk, which no longer works. When using the browser, I relied heavily on the button that used to be on the main page, I think it was called Unread posts.

The lightweight font on the background is also very hard on the eyes.

Mar 20th, '16, 14:35

by Chip » Mar 20th, '16, 14:35

I am hoping to discuss the ... situation with Adagio tomorrow, Monday.

Members have an investment in TeaChat and deserve to know more ... and should have known in advance. I am certain that my disappointment level is as high as anyone as is my time investment over the last going on 9 years as mod/admin of this great forum. Ultimately, the forum is the members, but there needs to progress on fixing the problems that now exist.

Mar 20th, '16, 14:37

by Chip » Mar 20th, '16, 14:37

... jeez, cannot even make a simple edit ...

Mar 20th, '16, 15:04

by pedant » Mar 20th, '16, 15:04

hey Chip,

thanks for advocating for us!

another thing to consider asking them: do they keep (offsite) db backups of the forum? this place is seriously a wealth of tea knowledge, and it would be depressing if it was lost due to a simple hdd failure or something.

+ Post Reply