durian

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Sep 2nd, '16, 00:36
Vendor Member

durian

by ethan » Sep 2nd, '16, 00:36

I forgot which thread got into a discussion of durian so started this.

I am back in Thailand for a month & am passing durian vendors regularly though it is well past peak season. The aroma (some may call it stench) was too alluring. Anyway thanks to whomever brought it up. I am enjoying it though it is not the best. It has been too long since I have had it for me not to be pleased w/ this unique fruit.

Try it when you can. Cheers

Sep 2nd, '16, 02:58

Re: durian

by kuánglóng » Sep 2nd, '16, 02:58

ethan wrote:I forgot which thread got into a discussion of durian so started this.

I am back in Thailand for a month & am passing durian vendors regularly though it is well past peak season. The aroma (some may call it stench) was too alluring. Anyway thanks to whomever brought it up. I am enjoying it though it is not the best. It has been too long since I have had it for me not to be pleased w/ this unique fruit.

Try it when you can. Cheers
I love Durians and I'd rather have some late Thai than none at all - my local source dried out some years ago.
Enjoy your trip, Ethan. I wish I could be there right now but I'll have to wait another while.

Sep 2nd, '16, 08:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 2nd, '16, 08:01

Love the stuff! Haven't had any in a few months. HK people love durians, and we get Thai durian throughout the season (even cut and sealed in plastic wrapped foam trays at the supermarket). Everyone in my family loves durian! I've been eating it for most of my life. Now I want some!

Sep 2nd, '16, 10:13

by JRS22 » Sep 2nd, '16, 10:13

I'll be in Bangkok in October so maybe I'll taste durian this year. We stayed at the airport hotel across from Don Muang between flights and there was a sign at the check-in desk notifying guests that the penalty for having durian in the room was $1000 USD. That was enough to intimidate me.

Sep 5th, '16, 04:11

by john.b » Sep 5th, '16, 04:11

My wife's aunt was the only one that likes it in her family (they're all Thai), and I would eat it with her for company, but I definitely don't love it. If the texture isn't too soft and creamy the taste can be fine, just not better for stinking a bit.

I like every other Thai fruit more: lychee (sort of a favorite), mango, pappaya, pineapple, longan, longon, jackfruit, rose apple, rambutan, mangosteen, pomelo (their grapefruit), bananas, young coconut, and a few others I forget the names of. Custard apple I can kind of do without too.

Sep 5th, '16, 05:12

by Tead Off » Sep 5th, '16, 05:12

john.b wrote:My wife's aunt was the only one that likes it in her family (they're all Thai), and I would eat it with her for company, but I definitely don't love it. If the texture isn't too soft and creamy the taste can be fine, just not better for stinking a bit.

I like every other Thai fruit more: lychee (sort of a favorite), mango, pappaya, pineapple, longan, longon, jackfruit, rose apple, rambutan, mangosteen, pomelo (their grapefruit), bananas, young coconut, and a few others I forget the names of. Custard apple I can kind of do without too.
Now, in season, durian mooncakes. Possibly, my favorite.

Sep 5th, '16, 22:45

by john.b » Sep 5th, '16, 22:45

I love the idea of mooncakes but I've never really loved any of the mooncakes I've tried, typically filled with a bean mixture (not that I don't like beans). Maybe I like durian mooncakes and don't know it.

Sep 6th, '16, 21:42

by Bok » Sep 6th, '16, 21:42

john.b wrote: I like every other Thai fruit more: lychee (sort of a favorite), mango, pappaya, pineapple, longan, longon, jackfruit, rose apple, rambutan, mangosteen, pomelo (their grapefruit), bananas, young coconut, and a few others I forget the names of. Custard apple I can kind of do without too.
custard apple is borderline for me. They can be extremly delicious if eaten at the perfectripening stage, they can be one overly sweet mess when not. One also has to be in a sort of neutral hungry stage in my oppinion, def not after a big meal or other sweets!

Taiwan is a fruit kingdom similar to Thailand, after tea probably what I enjoy most in this country. I also like that it is extremly seasonal, if not in season you can’t get it, simple as that (unless you buy overpriced, plastic sealed imports).

Top 3 fruit for me in descending order (TW):

– Earth Mango 土芒果(small, green Mangos, usually the first of the season and only for a few weeks)
– Kaki or Persimmon(usually autumn, eaten in the crispy stage, A quality can fetch a few 100 Eur for a box of 12!)
– Lychee

From Thailand I would add the mangosteen! Yum!

Apr 23rd, '17, 08:07

by Psyck » Apr 23rd, '17, 08:07

Bok wrote:
john.b wrote: I like every other Thai fruit more: lychee (sort of a favorite), mango, pappaya, pineapple, longan, longon, jackfruit, rose apple, rambutan, mangosteen, pomelo (their grapefruit), bananas, young coconut, and a few others I forget the names of. Custard apple I can kind of do without too.
custard apple is borderline for me. They can be extremly delicious if eaten at the perfectripening stage, they can be one overly sweet mess when not. One also has to be in a sort of neutral hungry stage in my oppinion, def not after a big meal or other sweets!

Taiwan is a fruit kingdom similar to Thailand, after tea probably what I enjoy most in this country. I also like that it is extremly seasonal, if not in season you can’t get it, simple as that (unless you buy overpriced, plastic sealed imports).

Top 3 fruit for me in descending order (TW):

– Earth Mango 土芒果(small, green Mangos, usually the first of the season and only for a few weeks)
– Kaki or Persimmon(usually autumn, eaten in the crispy stage, A quality can fetch a few 100 Eur for a box of 12!)
– Lychee

From Thailand I would add the mangosteen! Yum!
If those tender mango's are your favourite, you should try them Indian style - look up "vadu mango pickle"
Here in India we get just about every single fruit mentioned above with the exception of Durian - never even seen it myself.

+ Post Reply