Crafters Anonymous

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Jun 20th, '07, 20:18

by tea knitter » Jun 20th, '07, 20:18

regarding knitting tea-themed things.... i recently was feeling creative and, having just completed a bathmat and 2 washcloths, wanted to try something different, i knitted a coaster (round) and then knitted a swatch in 2x2 ribbing in about the length to stretch around a beer can (i know, classy) and about 3" tall and attached it to the coaster. i was thinking a can cozy, but then I slipped it on my 24oz pub glass and it fit like a glove. since it was all cotton, there was no more sweating from my iced tea glass!! (you knew i had to get around to tea, eventually, right?!) i then remembered that when my mom would take me visiting, a certain elderely neighbor lady would serve us iced tea in tall thin glasses with lovely little crocheted "socks" with eyelets and everything! so that's my next endeavor. is anything ever truly original?

Jun 20th, '07, 22:59

by augie » Jun 20th, '07, 22:59

It makes me sad that all that cool stuff is disappearing. The churches that I've gone to that have quilt guilds meet in the morning -- while I'm at work. There was a guild in Lafayette I knew of, but they got together on Saturday and worked on their own projects. I am a self-taught quilter reinforcing some very BAD habits.

Jun 20th, '07, 23:29

by augie » Jun 20th, '07, 23:29

tea knitter wrote: . . ., i knitted a coaster (round) and then knitted a swatch in 2x2 ribbing in about the length to stretch around a beer can (i know, classy) and about 3" tall and attached it to the coaster. i was thinking a can cozy, but then I slipped it on my 24oz pub glass and it fit like a glove. since it was all cotton, there was no more sweating from my iced tea glass!!
Do you make the cotton "washies" that are round w/scalloped edges? My great-aunt made me one, but I can't bring myself to wash dirty dishes with it -- too nice. I use it as a coaster for tea.

My d.d. was taught to knit and crochet by both grandmothers. She has made me a few coasters for hot and cold tea

Jun 21st, '07, 15:46

by tea knitter » Jun 21st, '07, 15:46

regarding the cotton washies... I have not made one...yet...but there is a pattern in that book i mentioned earlier and it has scalloped edges. it uses double pointed needles which cinnamon (or teaspoon, i can't remember) mentioned, and they concern me. I knit everything, but I just haven't gotten up my nerve to use dpn's yet. we'll see.

Jun 22nd, '07, 10:03
Location: curled up with my cats, a good book, and a nice cup of tea

by Cinnamon » Jun 22nd, '07, 10:03

When my brother moved into his apartment he needed all sorts of household items. Because I'm in New England and he was in Florida, shipping was a consideration. I got the color scheme for the place, picked up some cotton yarn, and made him a set of dishcloths. He loved them and I found them to be quick and a great way to practice new stitches.

I love the idea of cozies for glasses; I hate picking up my glass and having the coaster stick to it or feel like it's going to slip out of my hands.

Jun 22nd, '07, 23:16

by augie » Jun 22nd, '07, 23:16

Cinnamon wrote: I love the idea of cozies for glasses; I hate picking up my glass and having the coaster stick to it or feel like it's going to slip out of my hands.
That is my biggest pet peve in the summer, after a hot car sitting in the sun all day. I have a big 32 oz of iced tea in the a.m. and p.m. at work. I have to load it up with ice, which makes a giant sweat mess. The bottle came with a cool insert, but they just don't work as well as ice. I've been wrapping it with paper towels and using junk-mail as coasters -- very sophisticated looking when clients walk in!

Jun 23rd, '07, 23:15

by tea knitter » Jun 23rd, '07, 23:15

Cin and Augie,

I used a round rug pattern, reduced, to figure out the coaster-part of the cozy. Basically, using size 4 (US) needles and Sugar and Creme yarn, I started with 8 stitches and short row knitted 12 triangles, then seamed them together and ran my yarn through the middle hole to tighten. If you want the exact pattern, I will write it out. I've tried to 2x already, but have lost this post now 2x, so I'm not going to the effort unless you want me to. I would be happy to, though. I was very happy with the result and will probably continue to do some of those, as well as adding some lacy stuff around the sides. We'll see. Hope this helped.

Jun 25th, '07, 09:23

by teaspoon » Jun 25th, '07, 09:23

Thought I'd share with yall, my mom and I have commandeered a "yarn room" in our house. It's freshly painted, we've got new shelves for our combined stash, space for my spinning wheels, comfy chairs to knit and crochet in, display space... and a tea setup! We're keeping my UtiliTEA kettle in there, and some teacups, and we're going to find a few teas that we like to drink while playing and keep some of those in the room as well. It's glorious!

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jun 25th, '07, 15:25

by Cinnamon » Jun 25th, '07, 15:25

tea knitter- I can't speak for augie but I think I can figure out the cozy from your description. The only thing I wasn't sure about (and maybe I missed it) was if you picked up stitches to do the sides or if that was knit separately and then sewn on. Thanks for describing it all. :)

tsp- I'm jealous! Not only a yarn room but a yarn and tea room? I'm sure you and your mother will enjoy it quite a lot.

I was going through all the patterns I have on my computer last night and came across one for a Fiesta Tea Set that Interweave offered a while back. It uses Cotton Classic yarn and I think US 2 needles. The set is about the size a child's playset would be. It's in PDF and I'd be happy to send it to anyone if they want it.

Jun 25th, '07, 21:43

by tea knitter » Jun 25th, '07, 21:43

Hi, Cin! i just knitted the sides separately (in one piece) and sewed it around the coaster - i just couldn't figure out how 2 pick up stitches and make it go up from the coaster... i did use a k2 p2 rib for stretchiness and it is nicely flexible.

tsp - you lucky duck! i wish my mom would sit down long enough to so something like knitting or crocheting, much less start a room in her house for tea and knitting! we do drink tea together, but that's about all we share, save a half set of chromosomes!

Jun 25th, '07, 21:49

by Mary R » Jun 25th, '07, 21:49

Dang, Teaspoon! The 'yarn room' sounds like something out of a dream! To say "I'm so envious" doesn't even begin to describe it. Heck, I'd die just to have a room dedicated to one single thing. As it is, even my kitchen is pulling double-duty right now.

Lucky!

Jun 26th, '07, 09:29

by teaspoon » Jun 26th, '07, 09:29

The yarn room has been a dream for years. Since my brother moved out, we've had his room unoccupied as well as the guest room, so Mom has been wanting to switch his room over to being the guest room and take over the old guest room as her own little retreat room. That gradually shifted to the idea of a yarn room for the both of us, as long as I don't clutter it too much ;) We're finally making it a reality.

~tsp

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jun 26th, '07, 10:17

by Cinnamon » Jun 26th, '07, 10:17

tea knitter- Hmm. The only thing I can think would be to maybe do a turning row and then decrease a few stitches so that it would pucker in a bit. Now my curiosity is engaged and I may have to play around with it.

*runs off to find some scrap yarn and needles*

~Cin

Jun 26th, '07, 23:13

by augie » Jun 26th, '07, 23:13

tsp. I am not envious of the yarn room -- I am jealous of your self-control!!! A quilt room just for my sewing with a teapot (so I would never have to get up except to use the bathroom) would be my complete undoing. I would quit my job, stay shut up in the sewing room in my jammies all day. Sewing and quilting.

Although, I'd probably get dressed to go shopping for fabric!

I'll have to take a picture of my washie/tea coaster tomorrow. I looked at it again and it's just too nice to use as a dish cloth. I had to turn it over b/c it's all stained w/coffee & tea.

Jun 27th, '07, 07:59

by teaspoon » Jun 27th, '07, 07:59

LoL oh trust me... I saw it as I left my room this morning (it's RIGHT across the hall!!!) and thought "ohhh, I wanna play!"

Once I finish the baby blanket I'm working on, a tea cozy is on my long to-do list.

Hey, do any of you all have craft blogs? I do, it's here.

~tsp

I am the size of 1 tsp.

+ Post Reply