Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 6th, '17, 22:10

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Tead Off » Feb 6th, '17, 22:10

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
davidglass wrote:I just received Hojo's gyokuro and am not having any luck. Hojo recommended I brew it at 5g/100ml/50C/2-3 min. The tea arrived 2 days ago so maybe it needs to recover? Hojo also said that he brews his tea with only 3g, I'm not getting it.
If it's the Asahina Gyokuro that I've mentioned, my suggestion is the following;

7g/60ml shiboridashi. 50°/2 min. Excellent!
52.5°/10sec, 2nd/3rd.
55°/20 sec, 4th.
60°/5th, 30 sec.
Good Umami, sweetness, and smoothness. The increase of leaves makes a difference.

Finding the right water to go with Japanese greens is essential to me. The difference between my filtered tap and bottled waters like Wildalp and Volvic are huge. Plus, some vessels just make better tea. I think this gyokuro was my #1 of 2016.
I tried brewing the Asahina this way today and it was the most intense gyokuro experience I've ever had. It definitely justified the use of all that leaf and I just hope I get some sleep tonight!
Ippodo used to recommend 10g! If the Gyokuro is of a good quality and processed well, it should remain smooth, and not get bitter. Umami should be present, giving you a broth-like experience. 7g will give you the power of the tea, for sure.

Feb 7th, '17, 08:52

by JRS22 » Feb 7th, '17, 08:52

Tead Off wrote:Ippodo used to recommend 10g! If the Gyokuro is of a good quality and processed well, it should remain smooth, and not get bitter. Umami should be present, giving you a broth-like experience. 7g will give you the power of the tea, for sure.
Using this quantity of tea leaves transformed the experience of the Asahina. I have to try the same brewing parameters with another Gyokuro that I have at home. In the meantime I used a 15% off coupon to order more of the Gyokuro mechanically harvested Gyokuro from Thes du Japon. By comparison with the Asahina it's a daily Gyokuro.

Feb 7th, '17, 12:49

by JRS22 » Feb 7th, '17, 12:49

O-Cha Gyokuro Kamejurushi brewed almost as intensely as the Asahina also benefited by brewing intensely. I always assumed that the flavor profile would be the same when brewed weakly and just less intense, but now I realize I'm wrong, at least for Gyokuro. Still getting excellent results with my Kim Eung Chuck biotite pot.
Attachments
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG (60.04 KiB) Viewed 751 times

Feb 11th, '17, 08:31
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 11th, '17, 08:31

Nepali Ilam Tea from Himalayan Organic Tea Traders: John B. gave me this organic tea which surprised me w/ unique flavor, a sort of cooked, slightly burnt spinach. For me, vegetal flavor is usually too bitter, but this is not. Smooth & refreshing. I like it.

Label on thin foil packet has blank space next to "Pkd Date", & beneath that "Best Before 24 Months"

Feb 11th, '17, 14:08

by PAQF » Feb 11th, '17, 14:08

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Ippodo used to recommend 10g! If the Gyokuro is of a good quality and processed well, it should remain smooth, and not get bitter. Umami should be present, giving you a broth-like experience. 7g will give you the power of the tea, for sure.
Using this quantity of tea leaves transformed the experience of the Asahina. I have to try the same brewing parameters with another Gyokuro that I have at home. In the meantime I used a 15% off coupon to order more of the Gyokuro mechanically harvested Gyokuro from Thes du Japon. By comparison with the Asahina it's a daily Gyokuro.
I was preparing Maiko's Gyokuro Nomigoro 5 gr, 60 ml, 45 C. I was getting what I thought was a fantastic brew. After reading your messages I decided to increase the leaf to 7 gr and the change is spectacular. Also I managed to enjoy three very good steeps (I did not have time to prepare more). And last but not least, my wife thought I've suddenly improved my steeping habitilies. Pity these morning We finished the tea.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Feb 11th, '17, 22:06

by Tead Off » Feb 11th, '17, 22:06

PAQF wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
I was preparing Maiko's Gyokuro Nomigoro 5 gr, 60 ml, 45 C. I was getting what I thought was a fantastic brew. After reading your messages I decided to increase the leaf to 7 gr and the change is spectacular. Also I managed to enjoy three very good steeps (I did not have time to prepare more). And last but not least, my wife thought I've suddenly improved my steeping habitilies. Pity these morning We finished the tea.

The wife's approval is most important! :D

Feb 12th, '17, 11:27

by PAQF » Feb 12th, '17, 11:27

Tead Off wrote:
PAQF wrote:
JRS22 wrote:

The wife's approval is most important! :D
Indeed! Image

Feb 15th, '17, 21:23

by victoria3 » Feb 15th, '17, 21:23

An enjoyable afternoon session with O-Cha's 2016 1st flush Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori, from Ei. This sincha needs to be brewed on the cool side to avoid bitterness. It is now almost 1 year old spring harvest, opened in June 2016. Interestingly, steeping temperature was fine 10-15F warmer when fresh;
7gr/6oz/150F/90sec., steeped in preheated red clay twisted spout Tokoname kyusu.
To avoid bitterness in subsequent steeps, I held temps to 150F/153F/155F max.

A very green clear liquor, with no bitterness. Sweet, vegetal, smooth and warming profile.

Feb 25th, '17, 20:53

by entropyembrace » Feb 25th, '17, 20:53

Tai Ping Hou Kui from Dragon Tea House. It has a nice mild, sweet flavour, but compared to the Japanese green teas I usually drink it seems a bit bland. I'm not sure if this is a difference in style or just because I went for the least expensive TPHK.

Feb 26th, '17, 07:54

by JRS22 » Feb 26th, '17, 07:54

entropyembrace wrote: Tai Ping Hou Kui from Dragon Tea House. It has a nice mild, sweet flavour, but compared to the Japanese green teas I usually drink it seems a bit bland. I'm not sure if this is a difference in style or just because I went for the least expensive TPHK.
TPHK is one of my favorite Chinese greens, and I usually buy an expensive version. I also usually buy it only once, as soon as I see it listed for sale. I find the freshness and sweetness fade quickly, no matter how carefully it's stored, so I'm usually done with it by the summer.

Feb 28th, '17, 03:26

by Xeractha » Feb 28th, '17, 03:26

Hi!

I'm drinking Okuhikari Sencha from Zencha. Does anyone know what's the best brewing temp, time, leaf ratio for this? There's a stingy bitterness in it that I can't describe properly but haven't really tasted in anything else. I don't know if it's this tea's characteristic or I'm brewing it wrong. I made it with 70 C°, 60 sec and around 3g (120ml kyusu).

Feb 28th, '17, 08:02

by Sasameyuki » Feb 28th, '17, 08:02

JRS22 wrote:O-Cha Gyokuro Kamejurushi brewed almost as intensely as the Asahina also benefited by brewing intensely. I always assumed that the flavor profile would be the same when brewed weakly and just less intense, but now I realize I'm wrong, at least for Gyokuro. Still getting excellent results with my Kim Eung Chuck biotite pot.
Beautiful teaware! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28th, '17, 15:33

by victoria3 » Feb 28th, '17, 15:33

Xeractha wrote: Hi!

I'm drinking Okuhikari Sencha from Zencha. Does anyone know what's the best brewing temp, time, leaf ratio for this? There's a stingy bitterness in it that I can't describe properly but haven't really tasted in anything else. I don't know if it's this tea's characteristic or I'm brewing it wrong. I made it with 70 C°, 60 sec and around 3g (120ml kyusu).
I'd try brewing proportionately at 1gr/1oz/65C/70sec. and adjust according to taste (or 1gr/1.3oz/65C/70sec. ) With many senchas cooler water through the first 4 steeps really can make the difference between bitterness and a pleasant brew. With sencha I usually begin with 1:1 leaf / water ratio (gram/ounce) and adjust up leaf if it's too weak. Okuhikari is similar to Yutaka Midori in astringency and grassy sweetness, so if you have had that you can use similar steeping parameters. I've steeped my Yutaka at 7gr/6oz/65C/90sec

Feb 28th, '17, 22:48

by Tead Off » Feb 28th, '17, 22:48

Xeractha wrote: Hi!

I've drunk the Oku-hikari from Thes du Japon, a Shizuoka sencha. Indeed, there is a bitterness in this cultivar, but it can be tamed to a large degree giving decent results, although it's not a favorite of mine. From my notes, depending on the size of the vessel, I use 6g/70ml Banko kysusu, 62.5c/60sec. The 2nd/3rd brews 20-25 sec.

TdJ parameters are quite different. 4g/70ml 80c/80sec. They prefer it hotter. I've done both ways and it works. Water type will be very important with this tea.

Mar 1st, '17, 01:26

by Xeractha » Mar 1st, '17, 01:26

Thanks, I'll try it later. Most of the time I don't mind bitterness but this one tasted like a green shield bug being squeezed into the tea. Probably I should change the water filter again, unfiltered water is too hard here and high in chlorine.

+ Post Reply