Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 1st, '17, 03:19

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Xeractha » Mar 1st, '17, 03:19

Interesting, just a few C° down and already better. Slight bitterness is still there but now it doesn't taste like bug poop. It's my third "real" sencha though. I'm used to chinese teas and gongfu brewing and I don't know if I'm just more comfortable with a gaiwan or japanese teas (except kamairi cha) are more difficult to brew. Any sencha that is a must try type? I'm thinking about ordering the Fuga limited next.

Mar 4th, '17, 23:36

by debunix » Mar 4th, '17, 23:36

I'm fondest of light-steamed sencha (asamushi), and I'm particularly fond of the 'Aoi' sencha from Tsuen via O-Cha. I usually brew about 75°C first infusion for 60-90 seconds, and brew a 2nd infusion without reheating the water for 30-45 seconds, then bring the water temp up 85-90 degrees for another 1-3 infusions 60 seconds to 2 minutes, and maybe brew another at 95-97 degrees if the leaves still feel good.

But tonight, I'm brewing up Lu Shan Yun Wu 'Wild' green tea from a TeaHabitat tasting set. Really lovely and floral. I do this one similarly but start at higher temps, but still shorter 2nd infusion then increase temps & times after that.

I do the same general plan for time & temps whether gaiwan, kyusu, or other brewing vessel.

Mar 5th, '17, 03:08
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 5th, '17, 03:08

Green 41: From Dr Chen's shop in Tainan, Taiwan: This provides simple fresh flavor. Slightly minty, very slightly vegetal, & a feeling of clean mountain water & air come from the light-bodied liquid. Aftertaste after 2 or more cups is pleasant. Cold in Boston now & this tea is good for drinking a large, warming quantity of hot beverage w/o churning one's insides. Good tea & a good value. Satisfying w/o being exciting.

Mar 8th, '17, 21:15

by mg20one » Mar 8th, '17, 21:15

UEndure Organic Kukicha + Matcha. I had never heard of them, but my girlfriend purchased this and one of their tea infuser bottles for my birthday. I don't have lots of Japanese tea experience, but it taste good to me. The bottle is nice to! https://uendure.com

Mar 11th, '17, 22:06

by Ferg » Mar 11th, '17, 22:06

Enjoying O-Cha's Sae Midori 2016 Shincha this early evening. I'm the worst at keeping up with my teas, but this one tasted fabulous straight out of the fridge. I think I made a good cup because my mom was taken aback and said, "Wow. Now that tastes really good. Looks just like candy." And this is coming from a die-hard coffee drinker. :D
Hokujo 1.jpg
And this filter in particular worked meticulously with the fuka. Take note of the holes nearly touching the body of the pot (makes for easy drainage). The messiness with the water was my stellar kettle pouring. However, the tea streamed from the pot with no clogging. The right pot for the right tea makes such a difference.
Hokujo 4.JPG

Mar 12th, '17, 21:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mrs. Chip » Mar 12th, '17, 21:34

Great looking set up ferg! Chip snd I just had SM yesterday, I agree, wonderful flavor and aroma.

Mar 13th, '17, 11:43

by victoria3 » Mar 13th, '17, 11:43

Nice pot Ferg! I'm traveling with my backhandle version for roasted DongDing. How do you find it performs with Sae Midori as compared to other pots? I also had Sae Midori at a friend's house yesterday steeped in tokoname pot, it is so rich; sweet, buttery smooth, with lots of umami and background lingering notes and a beautiful lime green, thick liquor too.

Mar 13th, '17, 22:46

by Ferg » Mar 13th, '17, 22:46

Mrs. Chip wrote: Great looking set up ferg! Chip snd I just had SM yesterday, I agree, wonderful flavor and aroma.
Thanks Mrs. Chip! SM has become a personal favorite of mine based on Chip's recommendation. I hope you're both bracing yourselves for this upcoming storm with a warm cuppa sencha.

Mar 13th, '17, 22:53

by Ferg » Mar 13th, '17, 22:53

victoria3 wrote: Nice pot Ferg! I'm traveling with my backhandle version for roasted DongDing. How do you find it performs with Sae Midori as compared to other pots? I also had Sae Midori at a friend's house yesterday steeped in tokoname pot, it is so rich; sweet, buttery smooth, with lots of umami and background lingering notes and a beautiful lime green, thick liquor too.
Hey Victoria! Honestly, I'd be lying to you if I said the clay had a magical effect on the tea. :wink: I don't drink tea often enough to be able to discern the difference. Hopefully, over time, these things will become more apparent. But the pot itself is really a beauty. And more importantly, the bulb filter works much better than direct for fuka. I will likely dedicate this one to fuka and the Gisui for asa. I agree, the Sae Midori is quite rich and sweet. I've had better luck with it steeping at lower temperatures, avoiding the bitterness. I'm usually able to get 3 good steepings out of it before it starts to die off. Have to savor those first few cups.

Mar 15th, '17, 21:29

by davidglass » Mar 15th, '17, 21:29

Ferg wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Nice pot Ferg! I'm traveling with my backhandle version for roasted DongDing. How do you find it performs with Sae Midori as compared to other pots? I also had Sae Midori at a friend's house yesterday steeped in tokoname pot, it is so rich; sweet, buttery smooth, with lots of umami and background lingering notes and a beautiful lime green, thick liquor too.
Hey Victoria! Honestly, I'd be lying to you if I said the clay had a magical effect on the tea. :wink: I don't drink tea often enough to be able to discern the difference. Hopefully, over time, these things will become more apparent. But the pot itself is really a beauty. And more importantly, the bulb filter works much better than direct for fuka. I will likely dedicate this one to fuka and the Gisui for asa. I agree, the Sae Midori is quite rich and sweet. I've had better luck with it steeping at lower temperatures, avoiding the bitterness. I'm usually able to get 3 good steepings out of it before it starts to die off. Have to savor those first few cups.
[/quote

Are you drinking the Kagoshima Sae Midori that is being sold now or the sincha version? If it is the current one, how are you brewing it? O-Cha recommends 0.6g/1oz/175F/45sec, which doesn't work for me.

Mar 15th, '17, 21:31

by davidglass » Mar 15th, '17, 21:31

Are you drinking the Kagoshima Sae Midori that is being sold now or the sincha version? If it is the current one, how are you brewing it? O-Cha recommends 0.6g/1oz/175F/45sec, which doesn't work for me.

Mar 15th, '17, 21:48

by victoria3 » Mar 15th, '17, 21:48

davidglass wrote: Are you drinking the Kagoshima Sae Midori that is being sold now or the sincha version? If it is the current one, how are you brewing it? O-Cha recommends 0.6g/1oz/175F/45sec, which doesn't work for me.
Drinking 2016. My ratio was 1.25gr:1oz= 7.5gr/6oz/175f/50, (55sec worked also)
Started at 1:1 and worked my way up to more leaf.

Mar 15th, '17, 22:00

by davidglass » Mar 15th, '17, 22:00

victoria3 wrote:
davidglass wrote: Are you drinking the Kagoshima Sae Midori that is being sold now or the sincha version? If it is the current one, how are you brewing it? O-Cha recommends 0.6g/1oz/175F/45sec, which doesn't work for me.
Drinking 2016. My ratio was 1.25gr:1oz= 7.5gr/6oz/175f/50, (55sec worked also)
Started at 1:1 and worked my way up to more leaf.
Thanks.
i'm looking forward to the Sincha Kinari that I had last year. So good.

Mar 15th, '17, 23:03

by Ferg » Mar 15th, '17, 23:03

David, I can't shed much light on specifics with how I brew my sencha, 2016 SM shincha in this case. I use a smaller metal spoon and put anywhere from 1.5 to 2 spoonfuls in (don't own a scale). I always make sure to 'pre-cook' the leaves of any sencha I drink and breathe it in deeply as I feel it adds to the entire experience. I own the Breville variable temp electric kettle and was previously only heating up to the lowest setting at 175° and then opening the top and allowing it to cool for ~5-10 minutes prior to pouring in my first round.

However, based on a recommendation of a friend, I am now boiling the water and pouring into the thin 100ml gaiwan cup from Origin I use and allowing the temp to lower until it is slightly cool to the touch or I can at least grasp the thing. So I suspect the temp is getting as low as 140ish before pouring that water from gaiwan into kyusu. I use the same method with same water, not reheated, for 2nd and 3rd rounds. I pretty much always steep using the 60-30-90 second method in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds, respectively.

I will then do 175°, 195°, and boiling for subsequent steepings depending on my mood, allowing it to steep anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, in order to extract as much remaining caffeine from the leaves at highest temps. I'm very imprecise about the whole thing and simply use my intuition depending on my mood and the moment. Not sure if that helps at all, but it's worked for me.

Mar 15th, '17, 23:15

by davidglass » Mar 15th, '17, 23:15

Ferg wrote:
David, I can't shed much light on specifics with how I brew my sencha, 2016 SM shincha in this case. I use a smaller metal spoon and put anywhere from 1.5 to 2 spoonfuls in (don't own a scale). I always make sure to 'pre-cook' the leaves of any sencha I drink and breathe it in deeply as I feel it adds to the entire experience. I own the Breville variable temp electric kettle and was previously only heating up to the lowest setting at 175° and then opening the top and allowing it to cool for ~5-10 minutes prior to pouring in my first round.

However, based on a recommendation of a friend, I am now boiling the water and pouring into the thin 100ml gaiwan cup from Origin I use and allowing the temp to lower until it is slightly cool to the touch or I can at least grasp the thing. So I suspect the temp is getting as low as 140ish before pouring that water from gaiwan into kyusu. I use the same method with same water, not reheated, for 2nd and 3rd rounds. I pretty much always steep using the 60-30-90 second method in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds, respectively.

I will then do 175°, 195°, and boiling for subsequent steepings depending on my mood, allowing it to steep anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, in order to extract as much remaining caffeine from the leaves at highest temps. I'm very imprecise about the whole thing and simply use my intuition depending on my mood and the moment. Not sure if that helps at all, but it's worked for me.
Thanks so much.

+ Post Reply