Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 19th, '17, 10:41

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » Mar 19th, '17, 10:41

Gyoku-hou from O-Cha. So lovely with that deep fruity earthy note that goes superbly with chocolate. What a way to start the day!

170319 Morning gyokuro & chocolate by debunix, on Flickr

Infusing in Shimizu Ken nosaka kyusu, sipping from Suzuki iron-glaze cup, chocolate on Greenwood studios dish.

Mar 19th, '17, 16:49

by debunix » Mar 19th, '17, 16:49

More green: sparkling sencha, made with some Tsuen Aoi sencha that was misplaced, and that I pulled out thinking it was the inexpensive sencha that I usually use for this cold brew. Delicious, better than usual with the very fine leaf. Mmm.....

Mar 19th, '17, 17:05

by victoria3 » Mar 19th, '17, 17:05

debunix wrote: More green: sparkling sencha, made with some Tsuen Aoi sencha that was misplaced, and that I pulled out thinking it was the inexpensive sencha that I usually use for this cold brew. Delicious, better than usual with the very fine leaf. Mmm.....
Did you cold brew in mineral water? Sounds nice!

Mar 20th, '17, 00:05

by debunix » Mar 20th, '17, 00:05

victoria3 wrote:
debunix wrote: More green: sparkling sencha, made with some Tsuen Aoi sencha that was misplaced, and that I pulled out thinking it was the inexpensive sencha that I usually use for this cold brew. Delicious, better than usual with the very fine leaf. Mmm.....
Did you cold brew in mineral water? Sounds nice!
I carefully open an 18 oz bottle of room-temperature Crystal Geyser, use a funnel to drop in about a teaspoon of sencha, tighten the lid back on it, and stick it in the refrigerator. Enjoy 3-24 hours later.

Mar 21st, '17, 09:33

by Xeractha » Mar 21st, '17, 09:33

Finally I received the Sencha Miyako (from Maiko) today. I did 2 sessions in less than an hour and not much later I brewed up Fuga Limited a few times. I feel weird. Instead of low blood pressure that usually occures I feel restless.

Anyway, should the Miyako taste like a better version of those chinese sencha copies? It's not bad but it doesn't really have that corn like flavour than the other teas I drank.

Mar 23rd, '17, 01:31

by joelbct » Mar 23rd, '17, 01:31

Yunnan Sourcing's Fancy Grade (least costly), $13/100g Long Jing.

Pretty solid for the price. If decidedly, not the best I've had, it reminds me how much I like Long Jing, and Chinese Greens in general. I think I stopped drinking them and settled into Sencha due in part to fear of pesticides/lack of environmental regulation in China, which is sad, because Chinese tea is so good, I really don't want to avoid it.

Anyway, I imagine the LJ sweet spot for me personally is more around the $20/100g range. I usually try samples of the pricier grades of tea in general but try not to make them daily drinkers.

This one does have at least some level of my favorite quality in a tea- flavor that causes me to sip compulsively, as if my brain demands the liquid to continuously coat my taste buds.

I recall a Shi Feng from some vendor or other, maybe Teaspring, being among my favorite Dragonwells.

Mar 23rd, '17, 08:36

by JRS22 » Mar 23rd, '17, 08:36

joelbct wrote: ....Pretty solid for the price. If decidedly, not the best I've had, it reminds me how much I like Long Jing, and Chinese Greens in general. I think I stopped drinking them and settled into Sencha due in part to fear of pesticides/lack of environmental regulation in China, which is sad, because Chinese tea is so good, I really don't want to avoid it.
After the tsunami in Japan I decided I would just have to choose tea vendors of Japanese and Chinese teas that seemed trustworthy because I wasn't prepared to give up tea. I buy from the smaller vendors that know their sources, then relax and enjoy.

2017 Chinese greens are on the way!

Mar 23rd, '17, 21:51

Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by joelbct » Mar 23rd, '17, 21:51

JRS22 wrote:2017 Chinese greens are on the way!
Spring 2017 Cui Ming from Yunnan Sourcing Today, excellent. Going on the reorder list. Crisp, sweet, fresh, clean, vibrant. Amazing that I could, if I wish, get 500g of this for $28+shipping.

Their First Flush 2017 Mao Feng Yunnan Green is good too, and not altogether dissimilar, but I prefer the Cui Ming, more "mouthwatering."

Spending too much on this little tasting binge, but it will be hard to resist trying more 2017 China Spring Greens as they come out...

Mar 28th, '17, 05:15

by chrl42 » Mar 28th, '17, 05:15

I just bought a small package of 2017 first-picked Longjing while strolling the old Shanghai street (400m from my house :lol: ),

Many of China's green tea-producing areas are air-polluted these days, especially around Yangtze river where LJ is produced...but as a tea lover...can't resist.. shincha :D

Mar 28th, '17, 10:31

by Groucho » Mar 28th, '17, 10:31

chrl42 wrote:I just bought a small package of 2017 first-picked Longjing while strolling the old Shanghai street (400m from my house Image ),

Many of China's green tea-producing areas are air-polluted these days, especially around Yangtze river where LJ is produced...but as a tea lover...can't resist.. shincha :D
Are there any tea regions in China without much air pollution? For instance, is my beloved Lu Shan Yun Wu grown and harvested in heavily polluted mountains?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mar 28th, '17, 11:44

by chrl42 » Mar 28th, '17, 11:44

Groucho wrote:
chrl42 wrote:I just bought a small package of 2017 first-picked Longjing while strolling the old Shanghai street (400m from my house Image ),

Are there any tea regions in China without much air pollution? For instance, is my beloved Lu Shan Yun Wu grown and harvested in heavily polluted mountains?

http://aqicn.org/city/china/jiujiang/lushanqixiangtai/
A degree for pm 2.5 is currently 91 at Lushan, this is about average air-quality of downtown in medium-sized cities in America, worse than suburbs though.

But it is reletively good air-quality today, normally the city of Jiujiang, pm 2.5 is often go over 150, this degree the newspapers will report if it's in Seoul.

Best air-quality green tea areas I know of are, Huangshan, Zhoushan (buddha tea comes from here), Jiu Hua Shan (another buddha tea)...or some green teas produced from Fujian province perhaps.

Mar 28th, '17, 17:27

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by joelbct » Mar 28th, '17, 17:27

chrl42 wrote:
Groucho wrote:

A degree for pm 2.5 is currently 91 at Lushan, this is about average air-quality of downtown in medium-sized cities in America, worse than suburbs though.

But it is reletively good air-quality today, normally the city of Jiujiang, pm 2.5 is often go over 150, this degree the newspapers will report if it's in Seoul.

Best air-quality green tea areas I know of are, Huangshan, Zhoushan (buddha tea comes from here), Jiu Hua Shan (another buddha tea)...or some green teas produced from Fujian province perhaps.
How is Yunnan, for Blacks/Dian Hong? Simao- have 1kilo of Ning'Er County and Mojiang tea. Also, I wonder, how is Qimen County... I should probably look this stuff up- but it's not just air- also water and soil, and pesticides, I'm concerned about, not sure if there is reliable info on this, or if I even want to know...

Mar 28th, '17, 21:14

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by chrl42 » Mar 28th, '17, 21:14

joelbct wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Groucho wrote:

How is Yunnan, for Blacks/Dian Hong? Simao- have 1kilo of Ning'Er County and Mojiang tea. Also, I wonder, how is Qimen County... I should probably look this stuff up- but it's not just air- also water and soil, and pesticides, I'm concerned about, not sure if there is reliable info on this, or if I even want to know...
Yunnan have been kept clean until this year, normally Yunnan, pm 2.5 was hardly over 50

But this year often went over 50, sometimes even hit 100..I dunno what happened in Yunnan...maybe there are factories developed for the province's economy..

for a better result, maybe you could visit aqicn.org or other AQI based websites and search for yourself :)

Mar 28th, '17, 22:07

by Groucho » Mar 28th, '17, 22:07

What is Buddha green tea?

Mar 28th, '17, 22:36

by chrl42 » Mar 28th, '17, 22:36

Groucho wrote: What is Buddha green tea?

Zhoushan and Jiuhuashan is 2 of China's 4 buddhist mountains (along with E-mei shan and Wutaishan), it's just a name of tea grown on that areas, nothing else.

+ Post Reply