Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 29th, '17, 09:40

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by JRS22 » Mar 29th, '17, 09:40

chrl42 wrote:
Groucho wrote: What is Buddha green tea?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Zhoushan and Jiuhuashan is 2 of China's 4 buddhist mountains (along with E-mei shan and Wutaishan), it's just a name of tea grown on that areas, nothing else.
I think this one fits your description. It's one of my favorite Chinese greens and I'm just waiting for the 2017 harvest to order.

https://teatrekker.com/product/buddhas-tea/

Mar 29th, '17, 13:09

Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Groucho » Mar 29th, '17, 13:09

JRS22 wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Groucho wrote: What is Buddha green tea?

Zhoushan and Jiuhuashan is 2 of China's 4 buddhist mountains (along with E-mei shan and Wutaishan), it's just a name of tea grown on that areas, nothing else.
I think this one fits your description. It's one of my favorite Chinese greens and I'm just waiting for the 2017 harvest to order.

https://teatrekker.com/product/buddhas-tea/
Based on their website, they're not expecting a 2017 for that tea.

Mar 30th, '17, 07:40

by JRS22 » Mar 30th, '17, 07:40

i prefer to expect a 2017 shipment of the Buddha's tea. I believe the lack of an expected date for the new shipment is due to some 2016 tea still being available, although it's only the smallest bags.

Mar 30th, '17, 11:58

by joelbct » Mar 30th, '17, 11:58

Drinking some 2016 Organic O-Cha Chiran Kagoshima. My green staple for going on 3 years now.

Stellar value, ~$13/100grams, tho looks to be sold out. Something about that volcanic soil and deep steaming...

I haven't been drinking sencha as much since a bunch of YS and Taiwan Sourcing orders came in.

It's nice having a variety of tea in the rotation again. The contrast between very different styles heightens the experience of each, and taking a couple weeks off a favorite daily drinker seems to make it taste better and new again.

I have, incidentally, lost my taste for morning coffee after getting more enthusiastically back into tea again.

Even my favored light roasts of estate coffee from 'specialty' roasters all taste burnt now. Thus ends 4 years of flirting with the 'dark side' :)

Mar 30th, '17, 14:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 30th, '17, 14:46

joelbct wrote: Thus ends 4 years of flirting with the 'dark side' :)
You can still flirt with tea's dark side .. e.g. deep roasted oolong .. :mrgreen:

Mar 31st, '17, 23:23

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by joelbct » Mar 31st, '17, 23:23

chrl42 wrote:But this year often went over 50, sometimes even hit 100..I dunno what happened in Yunnan...maybe there are factories developed for the province's economy..

for a better result, maybe you could visit aqicn.org or other AQI based websites and search for yourself :)
I did a rudimentary Google search, found TC thread you started as well as this scholarly article, on heavy metals in brewed tea https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jt/2013/370460/

It seems people are correct in taking Organic certifications with a grain of salt. Still, the study was somewhat heartening in that most teas tested were not above California or EU upper limits for heavy metals, aside from some that did contain unacceptable levels of lead and aluminum. And apparently mercury in the leaf does not readily transfer to the brewed liquid. Study did not address pesticides, however one tea industry site stated that highly water soluble pesticides are not super common because they would wash off in rain, I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I wonder if rinsing for 5 seconds does help reduce toxicants? I realize after all these years I don't know, just that it reduces caffiene.

Currently drinking a Long Jing from Yunnan Sourcing of all places, and even this lowest grade they stock is so good... sigh. I read that Hangzhou is a most polluted area. Very sad. I did rinse the tea, and I have only 50 grams, it is such a shame, good LJ is such a special beverage.

Mar 31st, '17, 23:47

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by chrl42 » Mar 31st, '17, 23:47

joelbct wrote:
chrl42 wrote:But this year often went over 50, sometimes even hit 100..I dunno what happened in Yunnan...maybe there are factories developed for the province's economy..

for a better result, maybe you could visit aqicn.org or other AQI based websites and search for yourself :)
Currently drinking a Long Jing from Yunnan Sourcing of all places, and even this lowest grade they stock is so good... sigh. I read that Hangzhou is a most polluted area. Very sad. I did rinse the tea, and I have only 50 grams, it is such a shame, good LJ is such a special beverage.
When I visited Hangzhou 10 years ago, the city regulated building of factories to keep off pollutions, because Hangzhou is historically worshipped city for its touristic sites, one of reasons is also for its tea grown. Not to say, nowadays LJ is a style of leaf (almost any province can make LJ in leaf), rather than a specific tea grown in Xihu..

But now it's all about profits and factories, goverments don't care pollutions (except Beijing) at all, it's all about development and giving a job to locals, because 1.5 billion people has to work :P

Apr 1st, '17, 03:00

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by joelbct » Apr 1st, '17, 03:00

chrl42 wrote:But now it's all about profits and factories, goverments don't care pollutions (except Beijing) at all, it's all about development and giving a job to locals, because 1.5 billion people has to work :P
Yes, 8 billion people each pursuing our own individual rational self-interest may well result in collective self-destruction. Hehe, not trying to be a downer. I'll put in some effort to drink clean tea and be environmentally conscious, but nor can we spend our lives paralyzed by things out of our control. C'est la vie.

Apr 1st, '17, 10:39

by JRS22 » Apr 1st, '17, 10:39

IMG_188.jpg
IMG_188.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Gyokuro Asahina from Hojo to start the day. TeadOff recommended this tea and I brew it close to his parameters. I use 5 grams of tea in this 50 ML pot for what I think of as a tea version of espresso. An excellent tea but definitely not an 'everyday' Gyokuro, not just because of the price, but because of the caffeine.

Apr 1st, '17, 17:53
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 1st, '17, 17:53

ethan wrote: Green 41: From Dr Chen's shop in Tainan, Taiwan: This provides simple fresh flavor. Slightly minty, very slightly vegetal, & a feeling of clean mountain water & air come from the light-bodied liquid. Aftertaste after 2 or more cups is pleasant. Cold in Boston now & this tea is good for drinking a large, warming quantity of hot beverage w/o churning one's insides. Good tea & a good value. Satisfying w/o being exciting.
Reading what I wrote when still dry in the nose from flights from Thailand to Boston, I can see I should not bother to write about tea until fully recovered from travel.
Green 41 from Dr. Chen via Alishan is not so simple in flavor; is vegetal, but in an uncommonly smooth, rounded out way; & is exciting in its bold freshness. Really excellent. I used up 50 grams in 2 weeks, then did not drink it for 2 weeks, & yesterday opened another 50-gram packet from which I am already on my 3rd session.

Apr 2nd, '17, 08:35

by chrl42 » Apr 2nd, '17, 08:35

JRS22 wrote: Gyokuro Asahina from Hojo to start the day. TeadOff recommended this tea and I brew it close to his parameters. I use 5 grams of tea in this 50 ML pot for what I think of as a tea version of espresso. An excellent tea but definitely not an 'everyday' Gyokuro, not just because of the price, but because of the caffeine.
For such tea in such small pot, I think a water temp should be around 5~60c..give it a quick infusion (I'm sure you know better than me)

Zhang Yi Yuan's Ming Qian LJ...I ordered Gold-medalled Hui Ming and they sent me this by mistake, which is twice higher than Hui Ming in price (2400rmb/500g)..so I didn't return :mrgreen:

Apr 2nd, '17, 09:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 2nd, '17, 09:13

chrl42 wrote: I ordered Gold-medalled Hui Ming and they sent me this by mistake, which is twice higher than Hui Ming in price (2400rmb/500g)..so I didn't return :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

Let us know how it is!

Apr 2nd, '17, 12:41

by Tead Off » Apr 2nd, '17, 12:41

chrl42 wrote:
JRS22 wrote: Gyokuro Asahina from Hojo to start the day. TeadOff recommended this tea and I brew it close to his parameters. I use 5 grams of tea in this 50 ML pot for what I think of as a tea version of espresso. An excellent tea but definitely not an 'everyday' Gyokuro, not just because of the price, but because of the caffeine.
For such tea in such small pot, I think a water temp should be around 5~60c..give it a quick infusion (I'm sure you know better than me)

Zhang Yi Yuan's Ming Qian LJ...I ordered Gold-medalled Hui Ming and they sent me this by mistake, which is twice higher than Hui Ming in price (2400rmb/500g)..so I didn't return :mrgreen:
For such a tea, 5-7g in 70ml pot, 2 minutes at 50c would be almost a standard. Japanese greens are not like Chinese greens or Korean greens at all and don't brew like them.

Apr 6th, '17, 00:08

by pedant » Apr 6th, '17, 00:08

Iamjoe wrote: This article helped me a lot spam
nice amazon affiliate links :roll:

Apr 6th, '17, 01:07

by victoria3 » Apr 6th, '17, 01:07

pedant wrote:
Iamjoe wrote: This article helped me a lot spam
nice amazon affiliate links :roll:
Thank you Pendant...+1

+ Post Reply