Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 21st, '17, 08:48

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by JRS22 » May 21st, '17, 08:48

I probably shouldn't give specific times but just that when I was experimenting with this tea raising the temperature improved the tea.

I keep a record of the temperatures that I use and since the records are just for me I know that they're based on (1) the temperature I choose on my variable-temp kettle, and, (2) that the temperature drops 5° each time I pour from 1 vessel to another. My numbers don't have to be accurate just so long as they consistently reproduce my favorite results for each tea.

May 21st, '17, 12:32
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 21st, '17, 12:32

JRS22 wrote: I probably shouldn't give specific times but just that when I was experimenting with this tea raising the temperature improved the tea.

I keep a record of the temperatures that I use and since the records are just for me I know that they're based on (1) the temperature I choose on my variable-temp kettle, and, (2) that the temperature drops 5° each time I pour from 1 vessel to another. My numbers don't have to be accurate just so long as they consistently reproduce my favorite results for each tea.
Thanks, a 5 degree drop per vessel is good info--I haven't tested it myself! I also agree 100% about numbers not being necessary if you can reproduce good results with your technique. I do the same thing and I'm happy with the results!

May 21st, '17, 17:13

by debunix » May 21st, '17, 17:13

Strikingly beautiful tea sessions indeed. And apparently tasty too.

May 21st, '17, 17:18

by victoria3 » May 21st, '17, 17:18

jayinhk wrote:
JRS22 wrote: I probably shouldn't give specific times but just that when I was experimenting with this tea raising the temperature improved the tea.

Thanks, a 5 degree drop per vessel is good info--I haven't tested it myself! I also agree 100% about numbers not being necessary if you can reproduce good results with your technique. I do the same thing and I'm happy with the results!
Yes 5 degrees drop per transfer is my experience also. I always measure my temperatures with Japanese teas as I like perfect results every time, plus I'm constantly trying difference Japanese greens, and they are never the same each one having its own individual requirements. I also never boil for Japanese too hot leading to bitterness... unless you are very patient waiting for a 67*f drop

May 21st, '17, 19:52

by JRS22 » May 21st, '17, 19:52

I just realized that I once again sounded as if my process was more accurate than it might be. If I want 145° water I use the lowest setting on the kettle, 150°, and then pour the water from one vessel to another before pouring it into the teapot. It's my personal shorthand, but I think it's close enough.

May 21st, '17, 22:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 21st, '17, 22:21

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

Yes 5 degrees drop per transfer is my experience also. I always measure my temperatures with Japanese teas as I like perfect results every time, plus I'm constantly trying difference Japanese greens, and they are never the same each one having its own individual requirements. I also never boil for Japanese too hot leading to bitterness... unless you are very patient waiting for a 67*f drop
Yup, Japanese greens are not very tolerant of high heat. Too much leaf or too much heat and my system gets cleared right out, if you know what I mean!

May 21st, '17, 22:22

by victoria3 » May 21st, '17, 22:22

jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

Yup, Japanese greens are not very tolerant of high heat. Too much leaf or too much heat and my system gets cleared right out, if you know what I mean!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm that way with boiled Mate works every time.

May 22nd, '17, 13:33

Re: RE: Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Groucho » May 22nd, '17, 13:33

JRS22 wrote:i prefer to expect a 2017 shipment of the Buddha's tea. I believe the lack of an expected date for the new shipment is due to some 2016 tea still being available, although it's only the smallest bags.
Just thought I'd mention that I ordered a bag of 2017 Buddha's tea from Teatrekker.com yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

May 23rd, '17, 03:20

by kuánglóng » May 23rd, '17, 03:20

Sipping some organic 'Green Jade Needle' from DongZhai, Wuliang. A decent green tea from a company that produces all kinds of tea from their plantation leaves. I've tried some of their pu, black, green, yellow and white teas, all made from basically the same leaves but different plucking systems (1, 1/1, 1/2, 1/3); interesting experience.

May 23rd, '17, 18:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » May 23rd, '17, 18:23

Just opened a bag of asahina gyokuro. Lovely. Simply lovely.
Strong marine/vegetal flavors, lightly buttery. Good stamina. One of the few Japanese greens I never got tired of.

May 25th, '17, 21:12

by joelbct » May 25th, '17, 21:12

Drinking TeaSpring's standard Long Jing.

Wonderful, has that compulsively sip/slurp-able quality for me. Perfect LJ and it's just $23/100g.

TeaSpring's selection helped me fall in love with Green Tea 10 years ago. I'm sure it was 2007 TeaChat that turned me onto them, along with O-Cha, YS, Seven Cups, and other gems. Finding these at the time needles in the haystack would have been next to impossible without the forum.

I have TeaSpring's other two 2017 LJ's here, including a Xi Hu / Lion / Westlake, and I'm excited to try them, but even this "standard" LJ is really outstanding.

Thanks, TeaChat.

Edit, the $23/100g Standard LJ from TeaSpring was actually my favorite of the 5 varieties I bought this year. Interesting. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/FzXPX

May 30th, '17, 11:49

by debunix » May 30th, '17, 11:49

Reward for spring cleaning of the refrigerator: an unopened package of O-Cha's Gyoku-Hou. So lovely this morning, from the tiny Shawn McGuire gaiwan and Suzuki guinomi

170530 Morning gyokuro _DEB8498 ppd by debunix, on Flickr

May 31st, '17, 11:53

by debunix » May 31st, '17, 11:53

Another day, more Gyoku-Hou. Sweet, vegetal, floral, delightful. A great start to a tea day that will feature easier brewing oolongs and shu puerhs that hold for drinking and sharing at work.

May 31st, '17, 13:57

by hopeofdawn » May 31st, '17, 13:57

I'm drinking a Kenya purple tea from What-cha--a steamed green variety. Not sure what to think yet--I don't think I have the brewing parameters dialed in yet. The first couple steeps at 185F and 15-20 secs were too harsh, with nothing really interesting going on underneath. I did a third steep at around 170F, but the tea was already played out--not a lot of longevity here. May have to experiment with more leaf and lower initial temps ...

Jun 1st, '17, 00:12

by debunix » Jun 1st, '17, 00:12

hopeofdawn wrote: I'm drinking a Kenya purple tea from What-cha--a steamed green variety. Not sure what to think yet--I don't think I have the brewing parameters dialed in yet. The first couple steeps at 185F and 15-20 secs were too harsh, with nothing really interesting going on underneath. I did a third steep at around 170F, but the tea was already played out--not a lot of longevity here. May have to experiment with more leaf and lower initial temps ...
That sounds like a good next step.

+ Post Reply