What is in this tea ?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 10th, '17, 13:40

Re: What is in this tea ?

by mael » Aug 10th, '17, 13:40

day+1 after enjoying wild orchid bud from life in a teacup in the same mug and .......... result is positive :)
Same rainbow colour oil like layer at the surface of the water !
And by the same time I have read some of the links Bok provided and one hypothesis was that this layer was caused by interaction between mineral of the water and mineral of the tea, especialy if it was tap water.
Usually I only use bottled water but spending the month of august by my parents house I didn't bring all my tea stuff and drink tea "casualy" with tap water.
Will try other tea with my usual bottled water to see if same thing happens, and will test with other tea as well !
Guess I will have to finish the long jing at work !

And Bok is right water turns brownish when green tea leaves sits in water a long time.

Aug 19th, '17, 06:06

by mael » Aug 19th, '17, 06:06

Enjoyed a 2016 yong xin huo qing (I love this tea), made the leaves sit a couple day in the mug with a few water, and result is negative, no oil-like layer at surface of water.
Having a long Jing atm, will see what happen.

Aug 23rd, '17, 22:04

by Hezo541 » Aug 23rd, '17, 22:04

The packaging shows that it is a oolong tea. And it doesn't look like a green tea. :shock:
It might just because the quality is not very well.

Aug 24th, '17, 02:31

by mael » Aug 24th, '17, 02:31

Hezo541 wrote: The packaging shows that it is a oolong tea. And it doesn't look like a green tea. :shock:
It might just because the quality is not very well.
I had no pictures of the dragon well tea box so I picked an online picture of an other box of the same brand.

Also made the test with a better quality long jing and result shows no oil surface layer on top of water.

We have 2 teas that had this oily surface layer and 3 that did not display this thing.

Now I don't really think anymore it is just chimical reaction between mineral in the tea and water as I read in the topics that were linked, I think it is more about fertilizer and chimical stuff put in the tea, leaves absorb it during the growing process and it releases it when you brew the tea.

Maybe a good method to test presence of fertilizer in our tea ?

Aug 24th, '17, 08:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 24th, '17, 08:54

It might be sprayed on fragrance oil or something, although I've never seen that on longjing. Just tieguanyin and dancong. I would try skimming some of the oil off and rubbing it on your fingers. If it smells like fragrance then you know what it is

Aug 26th, '17, 08:48

by mael » Aug 26th, '17, 08:48

jayinhk wrote: It might be sprayed on fragrance oil or something, although I've never seen that on longjing. Just tieguanyin and dancong. I would try skimming some of the oil off and rubbing it on your fingers. If it smells like fragrance then you know what it is
Glad to see you are well after the typhoon in Hong Kong !

I will taste this thin oily layer and will let you know what it tastes :)

But I got to brew leaves first. I finished the "long Jing" but I am left with another green tea from life in a teacup that displayed same oily layer.

+ Post Reply