hot brewed gree tea vs cold green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 8th, '17, 12:08

hot brewed gree tea vs cold green tea

by wstalcup » Nov 8th, '17, 12:08

Hi!
I have recently read an article that how hot tea is good for you whereas cold tea may not... I'm skeptical about the article though and was wondering what some of the experts thought!
What I do:
1) brew loose leaf green tea in a large batch (~ 1 gallon)
2) add lemon juice, drink some and then put the rest in the refrigerator to drink over the next couple of days or so.

I can't believe it, but does the refrigeration process remove some of the health benefits in any way? If so, would reheating it fix that problem? Thanks!

Nov 8th, '17, 17:32

Re: hot brewed gree tea vs cold green tea

by chingwa » Nov 8th, '17, 17:32

It probably has less to do with the actual temperature, and more likely oxidization which would certainly destroy some of the more volatile compounds in the tea. Hot tea could usually be considered as 'freshly steeped', whereas cold tea is more likely to have been steeped hot and cooled down, thus it's been sitting around and has already oxidized.

However if you cold steep and drink right after this might not be an issue.

Nov 21st, '17, 06:33

Re: hot brewed gree tea vs cold green tea

by utkarsh » Nov 21st, '17, 06:33

wstalcup wrote: Hi!
I have recently read an article that how hot tea is good for you whereas cold tea may not... I'm skeptical about the article though and was wondering what some of the experts thought!
What I do:
1) brew loose leaf green tea in a large batch (~ 1 gallon)
2) add lemon juice, drink some and then put the rest in the refrigerator to drink over the next couple of days or so.

I can't believe it, but does the refrigeration process remove some of the health benefits in any way? If so, would reheating it fix that problem? Thanks!
Sometimes over brewing can destroy few anti-oxidant compounds in the tea. But you should certainly try Sparkling Sencha. Remove 10% water from 300ml Sparkling Water Bottle. Add three-four teaspoons of japanese sencha in the bottle. Close the lid and leave it in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
I am yet to try this with Matcha

+ Post Reply