2010 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 7th, '10, 13:53
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2010 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chip » May 7th, '10, 13:53

laura99 wrote: Does O-Cha send a notice out when they ship? I have not seen anything on my YM, or the matcha I ordered last week. Just curious if they may be on the way.
Yes, I think it will say something like this. "Your order has been completed successfully."

It would be the second notice you receive about the order. The first one you receive instantly, the second when they are shipping your order.

May 7th, '10, 15:39

by laura99 » May 7th, '10, 15:39

Thanks Chip - I will be patient!

May 7th, '10, 16:39

by Chip » May 7th, '10, 16:39

laura99 wrote:Thanks Chip - I will be patient!
If you did not get that second email, I would go ahead and contact O-Cha.

May 7th, '10, 16:49

by AdamMY » May 7th, '10, 16:49

to be honest I did not receive any emails notifying shipment. They just appeared at my door.

May 7th, '10, 17:17

by laura99 » May 7th, '10, 17:17

Thanks Chip/Adam. Maybe it will be there when I get home :)

May 7th, '10, 22:24

by camw » May 7th, '10, 22:24

laura99 wrote:Thanks Chip/Adam. Maybe it will be there when I get home :)
I had a tracking number in my order history that I was watching it get closer with here -> http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/index_en.html

I also didn't get any notification emails that it was shipping, I had to check it manually.

May 7th, '10, 22:41

by Chip » May 7th, '10, 22:41

camw wrote:
I had a tracking number in my order history that I was watching it get closer with here -> http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/index_en.html

I also didn't get any notification emails that it was shipping, I had to check it manually.
I just read on "the other forum" that he does things differently during preorder season, so I was wrong and Adam was correct.

May 8th, '10, 06:27

by laura99 » May 8th, '10, 06:27

camw wrote:

I did check my order, but I choose the cheaper shipping so don't think I will see any tracking information.

May 8th, '10, 12:13

by puerhking » May 8th, '10, 12:13

Chip wrote:
I think I am up and over 20 Shincha on order!!! Someone tell me to STOP! :idea: :shock:
OMG! So that means you will have....1.5 or more kilos of shincha? Yeah...you should probably stop there. :lol:

May 8th, '10, 12:26

by Ed » May 8th, '10, 12:26

I ordered more shincha than I could consume last Spring and the last few packages were definitely past their prime by the time I opened them. Shincha has a higher moisture content and does not keep as long as regular sencha even if it's sealed and kept in the fridge. I found that out the hard way. I'm just ordering as much as I can drink quickly this year. But if you have lots of tea drinkers in the household then why not go nuts! :D

May 8th, '10, 23:09

by Chip » May 8th, '10, 23:09

Ed wrote:But if you have lots of tea drinkers in the household then why not go nuts! :D
I do it every year ... I keep the TeaFridge at 33* ... and I share a lot through tastings/samplings ...

Unless the TeaFridge breaks and I don't know about it for weeks, it should be fine.

May 8th, '10, 23:16

by Ed » May 8th, '10, 23:16

Regardless of storage temperature, I think it is always recommended to consume shincha quickly. That extra moisture in the leaves gives it that shincha freshness but it also will make it go bad much faster than regular sencha. I opened a bag of shincha in late June last year and it was nothing like the first bag (same exact tea) I had opened immediately. Real shincha doesn't keep well, unfortunately.

May 8th, '10, 23:28

by Chip » May 8th, '10, 23:28

Thanks for your input ...

Shincha is traditionally off the shelves once sold out or by the end of July in Japan, whichever comes first. But I just looked at a label on a Yuuki-Cha shincha bag that says expires April 2011.

I have found that Fukamushi Shincha fades before Asamushi Shincha. But I have already had two different fuka months after July (January 2009 I think), one was stellar, one had faded.

Any shincha I have after July, I sell to Teavana. :lol: (JK)

May 9th, '10, 17:02

by bambooforest » May 9th, '10, 17:02

Chip wrote:Thanks for your input ...

Shincha is traditionally off the shelves once sold out or by the end of July in Japan, whichever comes first. But I just looked at a label on a Yuuki-Cha shincha bag that says expires April 2011.
'Expiration dates' in my opinion are completely arbitrary.

I personally don't think shincha is better than non-shincha. It's different, but I'm not convinced it's better. Sometimes the difference is hardly noticeable (if at all). Other times, it's more dramatic. But it's never that big a difference.

As far as how long a sealed bag would stay fresh in the refrigerator, well... I don't think I've ever gone much past August, so can't say from personal experience.

But... I would be surprised if it wouldn't taste fresh throughout the year as long as it was sealed and refrigerated.

I like Chip's assessment on the shincha issue: It's really a celebration of Spring more than anything else.

I've only purchased two bags of shincha so far this year: Two bags of 'shincha sencha' from Maiko. It's only 1350 yen a bag and I recall liking the flavor of it more than their higher grade shincha. Really good asamushi at a really good price.

May 9th, '10, 21:34

by Chip » May 9th, '10, 21:34

bambooforest wrote:'Expiration dates' in my opinion are completely arbitrary.
Yeah, expiration dates on tea are for suckahs!

Seriously, I would nevah evah buy any tea based on a so called expiration date.

Give us the harvest info, or give us banchaaaaaa ... :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply