2010 Official Shincha Review Topic!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 27th, '10, 21:24
Scrolling: scrolling

2010 Official Shincha Review Topic!

by Chip » Apr 27th, '10, 21:24

Woo hoo! Shincha is upon us. I know several members have received some Shincha 2010!

Please post your thoughts here.

And the 2010 Shincha Ordering Topic is still available if you are still ordering! I am ...
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12408

Apr 27th, '10, 22:21

Re: 2010 Official Shincha Review Topic!

by AdamMY » Apr 27th, '10, 22:21

First impression of O-Cha's Sae Midori was amazing then it hasn't meshed with my taste buds the last couple of times I have had it.

Definitely will continue experiementing, one time it was brewed in a Hagi Kyusu that lets just say let through way to many little particles so that could have caused my displeasure.

Will report back.

Apr 30th, '10, 20:56

by trent » Apr 30th, '10, 20:56

AdamMY wrote:First impression of O-Cha's Sae Midori was amazing then it hasn't meshed with my taste buds the last couple of times I have had it.
In my opinion, last year's Sae Midori was bounds better. This crop is too fukamushi for my tastes.... steamed into nothingness, rid of sharper flavors.

May 1st, '10, 16:13

by bambooforest » May 1st, '10, 16:13

I thought long and hard. It's official. I'm going to review every shincha I taste this year, here, on TeaChat.

This 2010 is shaping up to be a HEROIC year.

May 1st, '10, 16:28

by Chip » May 1st, '10, 16:28

I received a sample of a new fukamushi Yutaka Midori from O-Cha that should turn some heads. They will continue to offer the "classic" and this will be added for this year anyway as a new offering sometime in the [near] future. So says the owner on his forum.

The dry aroma was incredible. When I placed it into the preheated kyusu, yeah, had to sit down.

The first brew was stellar, perfect YM in its purest state.
The second steep was the loveliest yet most intense green, almost neon. Great flavor.
3rd was still very full flavored while the 4th and 5th offered gently declining brews.

So far, this is the only shincha I have received, and I am going bonkers.

May 1st, '10, 16:45

by Chip » May 1st, '10, 16:45

AdamMY wrote:First impression of O-Cha's Sae Midori was amazing then it hasn't meshed with my taste buds the last couple of times I have had it.

Definitely will continue experiementing, one time it was brewed in a Hagi Kyusu that lets just say let through way to many little particles so that could have caused my displeasure.

Will report back.
I have not received this year's SM yet, held up waiting fot the YM to become available.

You can really play with any Sae Midori brewing parameters ... it is almost impossible to mess up. Add more leaf, more time, etc. SM is mild, a "natural Gyokuro" clone, so it is not going to WOW you with intensity per se ... simply gently please you ..... :mrgreen:
trent wrote: In my opinion, last year's Sae Midori was bounds better. This crop is too fukamushi for my tastes.... steamed into nothingness, rid of sharper flavors.
Sae Midori is typically virtually void of the higher notes, the sharper notes, bitter, etc. Still, perhaps it is too fukamushi for your personal style.

If you drink this around the same time you are drinking a strongly vegetal Asamushi, the SM will seem very mild indeed.
Bamboofo... wrote:I thought long and hard. It's official. I'm going to review every shincha I taste this year, here, on TeaChat.

This 2010 is shaping up to be a HEROIC year.
This is great news coming from the quiet of the bamboo forest!

May 3rd, '10, 12:53

by rabbit » May 3rd, '10, 12:53

I'm thinkin' I'm gonna get some from o-cha just because I have never had shincha and have barely ever had sencha... my question is this: I don't have any Japanese brewing vesels... will a gaiwan or clay teapot work?

May 3rd, '10, 13:27

by Chip » May 3rd, '10, 13:27

rabbit wrote:I'm thinkin' I'm gonna get some from o-cha just because I have never had shincha and have barely ever had sencha... my question is this: I don't have any Japanese brewing vesels... will a gaiwan or clay teapot work?
As I mentioned on the IM, we all have improvised at one time or another. A strainer and gaiwan will work. But eventually you will want to get a kyusu. Once you use one, you will see a difference, plus it is more enjoyable, IMHO. Ummm, plus Kyusu are Koool ...

May 3rd, '10, 13:32

by olivierco » May 3rd, '10, 13:32

rabbit wrote: will a gaiwan or clay teapot work?
It might be a little challenging using a gaiwan (especially with deep steamed sencha). If your clay teapot doesn't add any taste from the teas previously brewed with it, it will be OK. I would suggest a porcelain or glass teapot if you don't want to buy a kyuusu right now. I now brew my sencha quite exclusively with porcelain houhins like the following one and get nice results.

May 4th, '10, 11:27

by MASALACHAAAAIIIIII » May 4th, '10, 11:27

Didn't Sae Midori ship out on April 18th? Taking too long to get here lol :P
Awaiting other shincha's as well

May 4th, '10, 12:15

by Chip » May 4th, '10, 12:15

The shipping can drive you nuts. Sometimes it takes 4 days for regular airmail, other times it takes several weeks! After 3 weeks, then start to really worry. As I said in the Shincha Order topic, that has only ever happened one time for me after many shincha and sencha orders.

May 4th, '10, 12:23

by verus » May 4th, '10, 12:23

Shincha is in now in my posession!

The Sae Midori from O-cha that is. First impression: pretty damn good cup of tea. The leaves are very thin, almost like hairs, and it smells very spinach-y, the aroma explodes from the bag. Thank God I like spinach!

The brew is very green, beautiful really. And it tastes...like real good green tea. It's got a fine, thick but subtle taste, not too astringent, not too fruity. I like it.

May 4th, '10, 22:57

by iannon » May 4th, '10, 22:57

Zencha's Fuji The Ultimate Shincha!

Nice Gold packaging..I like the little Poem thingy..
"Sweet Smell,
Brightness of Nature.
Heart is satisfied
The taste is wonderful"

Definately a Fuka..deep deep steamed needles

my lighting is bad..but first infusion at 150 for 40 seconds..light sweet clear wonderful spinachy aroma. little astringency.

Tea in the pot

ok..tried the flash and it got way bright..but second infusion 155-160 20 seconds..murky green soupy- still very sweet with spinach tones.

I am now on my third infusion. still murky green and a bit less sweet and a bit more astringency came out. i did up the temp slightly on this one to 160 back to 1 min steep
This one will go a few more... :D

May 4th, '10, 23:21

by Chip » May 4th, '10, 23:21

Thanks Iannon! Their temps are a bit confusing on their site, very low compared to most recommendations from vendors. Let us know how you make out.

May 4th, '10, 23:28

by iannon » May 4th, '10, 23:28

yea i sorta go in between their "superior" amd "high grade" recommendations. the 150 at 40 seconds w/ preheated kyusu was a bit light..but it was a very nice first sweet taste of sencha after going without for a long long time!
next time around i will start at 155 for 40 to 45 and see how that begins the session.

+ Post Reply