Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 30th, '12, 22:12

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by FlyedPiper » May 30th, '12, 22:12

First green of the 2012 season!

Mao Jian from Jing. Very nice, very fresh and floral. MJ never fails to surprise me for the price point.

May 31st, '12, 10:28

by sherubtse » May 31st, '12, 10:28

AdamMY wrote:Huge steeps of Sencha Hosen, for an afternoon tea while reading.
How would you describe the taste, AdamMY? And what is your opinion of the tea in general?

(I have thought of ordering from Ippodo, but am not thrilled that they only permit EMS shipping, and do not allow payment by PayPal.)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

May 31st, '12, 10:36

by AdamMY » May 31st, '12, 10:36

sherubtse wrote:
AdamMY wrote:Huge steeps of Sencha Hosen, for an afternoon tea while reading.
How would describe the taste, AdamMY? And what is your opinion of tea in general?
The second question is a very loaded question, but I think you meant *this* tea in general. So I will start there, Sencha hosen is a near flawless tea, and in fact the biggest flaw I feel it has is how much leaf it needs to really sing to its full potential. Without the larger amounts of leaf its still very pleasant to drink but lacks the wow factor. The taste is very sweet and vegetal, think buttered green vegetables, with perhaps a bit of well prepared grains to add a little more heft to the body.

My issue with Ippodo is that they only ship EMS, but they are my preferred Matcha vendor, so I usually order from them 1-2 times a year. But, at least I have found with their sencha some of the lower priced sencha is an amazing every day tea. Their Nitchi getsu is great, and I need to double check where its price stands with the exchange rate, but when I first bought it 2-3 years ago it was 11 USD for 100 grams.

May 31st, '12, 11:19

by sherubtse » May 31st, '12, 11:19

Many thanks for the response, AdamMY! (And yes, I did mean the Hosen. I apologise for the poor proofreading on my part.)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

May 31st, '12, 12:48
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » May 31st, '12, 12:48

An okay Long Jing from Canton Tea Co today.

Distinct cooked chicken aroma.

May 31st, '12, 15:02
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » May 31st, '12, 15:02

tenkei tori, this is what good usucha is all about!

waiting for my YC order to arrive it just shipped a couple of days ago. Its going to be shincha heaven when that box shows up!

Jun 1st, '12, 09:16

by minor_glitch » Jun 1st, '12, 09:16

I just opened up Yuuki-Cha's Miyazaki Tokujo Kamairicha. Really wonderful!

Jun 1st, '12, 14:33

by guitar9876 » Jun 1st, '12, 14:33

The second question is a very loaded question, but I think you meant *this* tea in general. So I will start there, Sencha hosen is a near flawless tea, and in fact the biggest flaw I feel it has is how much leaf it needs to really sing to its full potential. Without the larger amounts of leaf its still very pleasant to drink but lacks the wow factor. The taste is very sweet and vegetal, think buttered green vegetables, with perhaps a bit of well prepared grains to add a little more heft to the body.

My issue with Ippodo is that they only ship EMS, but they are my preferred Matcha vendor, so I usually order from them 1-2 times a year. But, at least I have found with their sencha some of the lower priced sencha is an amazing every day tea. Their Nitchi getsu is great, and I need to double check where its price stands with the exchange rate, but when I first bought it 2-3 years ago it was 11 USD for 100 grams.
Hey Adam, what leaf to water ratio do you generally use for the Hosen to get the "wow factor"?

Jun 1st, '12, 14:55

by AdamMY » Jun 1st, '12, 14:55

guitar9876 wrote:

Hey Adam, what leaf to water ratio do you generally use for the Hosen to get the "wow factor"?

Most sencha, I brew close to a 1g to 1 oz ratio. With Hosen, I feel I need to up to to a 1.5-1.75 g to oz ratio. So nearly in Gyokuro levels. But keep in mind, I am someone who generally brews Japanese greens at cooler temps anyway.

Jun 1st, '12, 16:17

by guitar9876 » Jun 1st, '12, 16:17

Thanks! Gonna try that right now!

Jun 2nd, '12, 00:39

by Poohblah » Jun 2nd, '12, 00:39

last year's Kagoshima Sencha Ten from Zencha... nice and mild, aromatic with a little bit of sweetness to it, a good way to unwind and relax at the end of the day, as opposed to some other senchas which can be a real kick in the pants, like a strong cup of coffee or mate :)

Jun 2nd, '12, 00:39

by debunix » Jun 2nd, '12, 00:39

A reversed tea day today: started with some of one of my first shu pu cakes, but then moved on to Sayamakaori sencha from Yuuki-cha--usually the progression is the other way around. Now at sweet water loveliness at the end of the infusions, very nice. Nearly done with the last order from Yuuki-Cha.

Looking forward to the O-cha shincha OTTI to get some ideas for my next order from Japan.

Jun 2nd, '12, 10:10

by Alex » Jun 2nd, '12, 10:10

minor_glitch wrote:I just opened up Yuuki-Cha's Miyazaki Tokujo Kamairicha. Really wonderful!

**snip**

Lovely photos

Jun 2nd, '12, 13:12

by minor_glitch » Jun 2nd, '12, 13:12

Alex wrote:Lovely photos
Thanks!

Jun 2nd, '12, 13:41

by AdamMY » Jun 2nd, '12, 13:41

O-Cha Kirameki in my new Yunomi.

+ Post Reply