Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 7th, '14, 19:46
Vendor Member

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by jayinhk » Jun 7th, '14, 19:46

Drinking organic Chiran Sencha from O-Cha today. I tried it last night, but couldn't taste it very well because, 1. My sinuses were congested and 2. I'd just had some prescription-strength cough syrup.

Don't drink hot tea after prescription cough syrup unless you want it to hit you like a ton of bricks :? Lesson learned!

I'm much better today, so I decided to up the amount of leaf to get more flavor out of it; I couldn't taste it at all last night and the Chinese pre-QM green I've been drinking has had so much flavor that I wanted more aroma. Well, I overdid it, and ended up with a very salty brew. I diluted it down with more water.

While I like sencha, I think the steaming process evaporates off some of the compounds that provide finer nuances to the bouquet; I felt the tea was rather cardboard-like compared to the bean/umami/caramel flavors I was getting from the Zhejiang stuff.

I did, however, learn that fine Japanese teas can be brewed in gaiwans quite easily; the tea settles and clumps together, so if poured with care, you don't get much leaf in the cup at all.

Jun 8th, '14, 19:39

by TimsMom » Jun 8th, '14, 19:39

I just finished some DragonWell. I just read that it should be brewed in a porcelain gaiwan. I did notice a difference. Does the Dragonwell in particular react with the clay??

Jun 8th, '14, 21:42
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 8th, '14, 21:42

TimsMom wrote:I just finished some DragonWell. I just read that it should be brewed in a porcelain gaiwan. I did notice a difference. Does the Dragonwell in particular react with the clay??
I've had best results dropping it into a glass of hot water or pouring hot water onto leaves in a glass and letting them settle. The clay seems to dull greens unless you get something very non-porous.

Jun 9th, '14, 07:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 9th, '14, 07:29

Found the sweetspot with the Chiran now and it's very enjoyable; canteloupe, seaweed and sweetness with a touch of salt. I need to use a much smaller amount of tea as it explodes as soon as the water hits it!

I'm using a porcelain gaiwan with a spout and handle. It has a five-hole filter inside that keeps the larger pieces of leaf in the pot. It's working well for this tea, so I think I'll hold off on a kyusu purchase for now. :)

Jun 9th, '14, 12:10

by puerhking » Jun 9th, '14, 12:10

2014 Shi Feng Long Jing from Jing. Big chestnut burst on the first brew...merging with some vegetal sweetness on the second. Nice mouthfeel. Continues to give balanced brews with some slight floral notes on the last couple of brews. Pretty good.

Jun 11th, '14, 19:48

by JRS22 » Jun 11th, '14, 19:48

I don't usually drink tea in the evening but I've been sitting in the kitchen reading and drinking for several hours. I just finished a session with an interesting chinese green that I've never heard of before, a 2014 Rizhao Xueqing. Teatrekker describes it as buttery, full and sweet, and now that I'm pleased with my brewing parameters I agree. I also found after experimentation that using a glazed Seong-il kyusu brings out these qualities better than a gaiwan.

Jun 12th, '14, 02:26

by Alex » Jun 12th, '14, 02:26

Yame Gyokuro from o-cha.

I've never really got in to gyokuro and its sparked a new tea ware purchase :oops: naughty me :oops:

Jun 12th, '14, 11:46

by Poseidon » Jun 12th, '14, 11:46

Im having some cold brewed Kukicha from ocha. Its a little old so im not getting tons of flavor but its still somewhat enjoyable :oops:

Jun 12th, '14, 12:59

by Groucho » Jun 12th, '14, 12:59

I made some Lu Shan Yun Wu from TeaVivre here at work. Unfortunately, the water's temperature varied from infusion to infusion; it's nowhere near as good as it is at home. I guess not much at work is....

Jun 12th, '14, 15:28

by TimsMom » Jun 12th, '14, 15:28

I am currently drinking Adagio's Vanilla Green iced. It is fabulous tea. I brew 10 gm for 10 minutes @160 d. Fill my glass with ice and pour. If you like green tea iced, this is the one!

Jun 12th, '14, 22:40

by debunix » Jun 12th, '14, 22:40

Opening a fresh pouch of Sejak from Morning Crane Tea, delicate, vegetal, sweet, just getting started but already happy with the notes of grass from fresh and delicate to sweet young hay. Mmmm. I just had an unsatisfying experience with a sample of a shu pu that was more funk than delight, and this has restored my spirits and energy for an evening of paperwork.

Jun 13th, '14, 08:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 13th, '14, 08:37

Drinking-grade Vietnamese lotus green tea. The good stuff is infused with hundreds or thousands of lotus pistils per kg; this modern kind is infused with the assistance of steam and pressure and is much cheaper, but still has a strong, sweet lotus flower scent. I brewed some up this morning to go with some Vietnamese coffee and forgot about it until it was time to brew. A nice break from sencha and Chinese green.

Jun 14th, '14, 13:31

by Pig Hog » Jun 14th, '14, 13:31

Here are the three that I brought back from Japan:
IMG_1619.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg (69.16 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
The packet on the left is almost finished and I'm struggling to decide what to open next (including three other packets of shincha ordered online). However, can someone with more knowledge of written Japanese than me, give a bit more info on what I bought?

The first packet (left) is fukamushicha (I opened it) but I can't tell from the packet where it's from or the cultivar (don't really know any kanji for tea cultivars). It also looks to be last year's tea, going by the date.

Second packet...fukamushicha, written with む instead of 蒸? Can't tell where it comes from or the cultivar, though.

Third packet...Kagoshima ichibancha...can't tell which cultivar or identify the level of steaming. I don't think any of these are shincha, either but correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: if anyone thinks this belongs in a more relevant thread, please move it there...!

Jun 15th, '14, 22:10

by gunbuster363 » Jun 15th, '14, 22:10

Pig Hog wrote:Here are the three that I brought back from Japan:
IMG_1619.jpg
The packet on the left is almost finished and I'm struggling to decide what to open next (including three other packets of shincha ordered online). However, can someone with more knowledge of written Japanese than me, give a bit more info on what I bought?

The first packet (left) is fukamushicha (I opened it) but I can't tell from the packet where it's from or the cultivar (don't really know any kanji for tea cultivars). It also looks to be last year's tea, going by the date.

Second packet...fukamushicha, written with む instead of 蒸? Can't tell where it comes from or the cultivar, though.

Third packet...Kagoshima ichibancha...can't tell which cultivar or identify the level of steaming. I don't think any of these are shincha, either but correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: if anyone thinks this belongs in a more relevant thread, please move it there...!

Hi, here is the information from the pictures ( I can read Chinese ):

left: Shizuoka Sencha ( steaming not mentioned )
Middle: Shizuoka Hon-yama Fukamushi Sencha
Right: Kagoshima Chiran ichibancha ( steaming not mentioned )

Jun 16th, '14, 03:41

by Pig Hog » Jun 16th, '14, 03:41

Awesome, thanks! Helps me decide what to open next...

+ Post Reply