Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 11th, '14, 10:56

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Alex » Jul 11th, '14, 10:56

I usually count in my head...sort of and be mind full....for some reason I got up and walked off during the brewing LOL then rushed back and made myself drink the bitter brew as punishment

Jul 12th, '14, 12:42

by JRS22 » Jul 12th, '14, 12:42

Every year I try at least one longjing, and every year I refresh my memory about my preference for other spring greens.

On the other hand, I never regret or tire of my beautiful TeaChat artisan teaware. I purchased the small (60 ml) green gaiwan and matching cup from Shawn at Greenwood Studio about a year ago, and the yuzamashi is from his recent spring kiln sale.

I'm having difficulty capturing the beautiful curves of the yuzamashi with my iPad camera. All Shawn's teaware handles well in addition to brewing well. Then if I don't enjoy the tea at least I can enjoy the view of the beautiful teaware on my tea tray.

Jul 14th, '14, 17:27

by JRS22 » Jul 14th, '14, 17:27

I upped the temp on the longjing to 190° and now I'll happily drink it until it's gone. This years longjing experiment is Weng-jia Shan.

Jul 20th, '14, 22:26

by debunix » Jul 20th, '14, 22:26

Another day warm enough for cool-brewed sencha. Mmm.

Jul 21st, '14, 01:15

by Teaism » Jul 21st, '14, 01:15

Woke up very early in the morning today. Made a nice breakfast and usher in the day with a nice sweet and creamy gyokoru. Yummy! :D

Cheers! :D
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

Jul 24th, '14, 12:28

by debunix » Jul 24th, '14, 12:28

This morning's ever-so-vibrantly-green Gyoku-hou Uji gyokuro from O-Cha

Jul 25th, '14, 15:58

by debunix » Jul 25th, '14, 15:58

Yesterday's session with the gyoku-hou was so good I had to repeat it, but on a slightly larger scale suitable for sharing in the office. People were quite impressed by the greenness of the tea--and the flavor. Mmm.

Jul 25th, '14, 16:32

by JRS22 » Jul 25th, '14, 16:32

debunix wrote:Yesterday's session with the gyoku-hou was so good I had to repeat it, but on a slightly larger scale suitable for sharing in the office. People were quite impressed by the greenness of the tea--and the flavor. Mmm.
I'm having a bit of trouble brewing this gyo properly. Do you mind sharing your brewing parameters?

And what a generous officemate - sharing gyo!

Jul 25th, '14, 20:42

by debunix » Jul 25th, '14, 20:42

JRS22 wrote:
debunix wrote:gyoku-hou
I'm having a bit of trouble brewing this gyo properly. Do you mind sharing your brewing parameters?
I do a first infusion at 150 degrees--30-60 seconds--to get a sense of whether it seems just right or not enough, and use that as my guide to later infusions. The next infusion is always shorter, and I usually try at least one more at that temp before upping the temp to 160, 175, 190, and eventually I get a few infusions at 205--some up to a couple of minutes--before I stop.

As for how much tea/water, well, I use about twice the amount of sencha I'd use for the same size vessel. Since I've only done this tea twice (newly opened bag, first time buying it), and I didn't measure either time, all I can say is that the brewing vessel was about 1/2 full when leaves were thoroughly rehydrated. Today's office infusion was different because I deliberately overfilled in order to have enough (via increased # of small infusions) to share.

Jul 26th, '14, 03:17

by GeorgeGR » Jul 26th, '14, 03:17

Had some Farmer's Shincha from Hibiki-an earlier this evening. Anyone else drink this particular type of tea and have any parameters they want to share with me?

Jul 26th, '14, 11:12

by JRS22 » Jul 26th, '14, 11:12

Debunix - many thanks for your brewing parameters. When I wasn't satisfied with my initial attempts I kept lowering the temperature, but brewing your way brought out the delicious gyo-ness. I got 5 very good infusions and one meh infusion with higher temps and shorter times.

Now to try this approach on the Yame.

Jul 26th, '14, 12:23

by daidokorocha » Jul 26th, '14, 12:23

debunix, your gyokuro looks absolutely beautiful in that picture. A thank you to Teaism and you for sharing your lovely photos. All this talk and pictures of gyokuro makes me realise I haven't had any in what seems like awhile. I think I know what I'll be having to cap a breakfast of some zakkokumai.

Jul 27th, '14, 12:55

by debunix » Jul 27th, '14, 12:55

Another morning, another session with the gyoku-hou. I enjoy the first infusions well enough, but I'm actually more a fan of the later infusions, when the fruitiness comes out, and I can nibble or sip a bit of chocolate for a marvelous contrast. And now my session comes to a halt while I rush to make a cuppa hot chocolate to go with this...

Jul 27th, '14, 14:05

by daidokorocha » Jul 27th, '14, 14:05

I actually just finished making some houjicha myself. I always enjoy smelling before scooping and it is a very lovely medium roast that morphs through stages of a more bitter chocolate to a very light, sweet finish. One of the reasons I love houjicha so much is that it is a tea very much open for exploring. Temperature, steeping time, leaf/water ratio, etc. has a large range for this tea, as I think it tends to be very forgiving in general. Sometimes I even throw it into a pan and boil it! I think one is doing themselves a disservice if they brew this tea the same way every time.

This time around I decided on a low amount of leaf in water just off the boil with a steeping time of around 1:30. I find for the houjicha I currently have that it gives the roast a prominent flavor but mellows it out a bit. Houjicha is one of my favorite teas to resteep because those amazing sweet notes really come out in later infusions.

Jul 27th, '14, 14:15

by debunix » Jul 27th, '14, 14:15

Hmm.....a good reminder that I am out of Houjicha, need to put it on the tea reorder list.

+ Post Reply