Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 26th, '14, 14:26

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » Aug 26th, '14, 14:26

It is a wonderful combination. Sometimes I nibble dark chocolate pieces, sometimes I am having a morning cup of hot chocolate and alternating infusions of gyokuro with sips of the chocolate. Either way is happiness.

Aug 27th, '14, 19:52

by daidokorocha » Aug 27th, '14, 19:52

I'll try that out. Is there a certain percentage dark chocolate you care for, debunix? I know you don't like bitter, so I'm surprised you go for it.

I got my new package in from a little tea shop I found in Japan that I quite enjoy ordering from. I ordered two more sencha, one houjicha, one matcha dusted kukicha, and some powdered sencha. I also got another sencha as a gift. I've loved all their sencha I've had and want to try every last one. Currently enjoying the matcha dusted kukicha! What a beautiful color it brews.

Aug 27th, '14, 20:34

by debunix » Aug 27th, '14, 20:34

daidokorocha wrote:Is there a certain percentage dark chocolate you care for, debunix?
Scharffenberger 70%. I buy the baking bars and break it up for eating and cooking. I've deliberately trained myself to eat the darker stuff, and for my hot chocolate, I'm up to about 85%.

Aug 27th, '14, 21:36

by Bef » Aug 27th, '14, 21:36

daidokorocha wrote:I'll try that out. Is there a certain percentage dark chocolate you care for, debunix? I know you don't like bitter, so I'm surprised you go for it.

I got my new package in from a little tea shop I found in Japan that I quite enjoy ordering from. I ordered two more sencha, one houjicha, one matcha dusted kukicha, and some powdered sencha. I also got another sencha as a gift. I've loved all their sencha I've had and want to try every last one. Currently enjoying the matcha dusted kukicha! What a beautiful color it brews.
Could you let me know what that shop is? Do they have a website?

Aug 27th, '14, 22:03

by daidokorocha » Aug 27th, '14, 22:03

Bef wrote:
daidokorocha wrote:I'll try that out. Is there a certain percentage dark chocolate you care for, debunix? I know you don't like bitter, so I'm surprised you go for it.

It's difficult. Unless you can speak Japanese it might be pretty tough to get around, as there is zero English and the employees speak zero English and have to be communicated with in Japanese. Also, it requires a domestic Japanese address, I think. Some of the places I order from may have international shipping but I always just use domestic address so I can't ever be sure.
Last edited by daidokorocha on Aug 27th, '14, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 27th, '14, 22:06

by daidokorocha » Aug 27th, '14, 22:06

debunix wrote:
daidokorocha wrote:Is there a certain percentage dark chocolate you care for, debunix?
Scharffenberger 70%. I buy the baking bars and break it up for eating and cooking. I've deliberately trained myself to eat the darker stuff, and for my hot chocolate, I'm up to about 85%.
70% is definitely a nice tasting chocolate. Interesting that a lot of dark chocolates on the market are quite lower than that, which frequently disappoints me. I don't think I can get Scharffenberger around here unless I run out to the suburbs where they apparently carry them at some of the big grocers. Perhaps though, as I have a friend who lives out near one of them, I might ask them to pick me up one to try. I imagine this is an easy feat in California.

Any training going on for the more bitter teas of the world?

Aug 27th, '14, 22:50

by debunix » Aug 27th, '14, 22:50

Not so much!

Aug 27th, '14, 23:37

by drinking_teas » Aug 27th, '14, 23:37

debunix wrote:
85% is the max I can go. 90% tastes entirely bitter and grainy. I wish I could eat 70% all of the time, but I have to limit sugar as much as I can. My dessert options are limited to whipped cream, dark chocolate, berries, and the occasional orange

Aug 28th, '14, 05:20

by Pig Hog » Aug 28th, '14, 05:20

daidokorocha wrote:
Bef wrote:

It's difficult. Unless you can speak Japanese it might be pretty tough to get around, as there is zero English and the employees speak zero English and have to be communicated with in Japanese. Also, it requires a domestic Japanese address, I think. Some of the places I order from may have international shipping but I always just use domestic address so I can't ever be sure.
Link it anyway? Would like to have a look even if they don't ship outside of Japan.

Aug 30th, '14, 15:03

by debunix » Aug 30th, '14, 15:03

There has been an alarming progression in Gyokuro brewing here recently. I started with my tiny shiboridashi from Greenwood studios, enjoying small infusions of O-Cha Gyoku-Hou

then one day wanted to drink more, and brought out Petr's shino marvel

and today I find myself brewing in the even larger kyusu

and, due to the heat, pouring the slightly concentrated brew over ice cubes in this chawan

Where, oh where, will this madness lead?

Aug 30th, '14, 16:05

by daidokorocha » Aug 30th, '14, 16:05

That's the way to go. I know some people like to brew in tiny amounts but I find myself needing larger cups of gyokuro, at least 6 steeps. It eats up a good amount of time doing so, though.

Aug 30th, '14, 23:17

by puerhking » Aug 30th, '14, 23:17

Been enjoying the asamushi verson of Sae Midori from O-Cha. Some marine notes with lots of umami. This one is really hitting the sweet spot for me.

Sep 1st, '14, 22:59
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 1st, '14, 22:59

Revisited the organic Chiran from o-cha and used much less leaf; it made for a far more pleasant experience. I go heavy with Chinese greens, but there's more room to play with them than sencha, so I can't load the kyusu up too much! Interestingly I feel the kyusu improves sencha, but takes aroma out of my Chinese greens. I haven't figured out why just yet!

Sep 2nd, '14, 19:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by eyvind » Sep 2nd, '14, 19:30

Chiran sencha today.
Just returned from drinking an asamushi for the last few days and the contrast was apparent. Nice to switch it up.

Sep 3rd, '14, 07:03

by Pig Hog » Sep 3rd, '14, 07:03

More like 'what am I thinking of buying?'...

Can anyone comment on the tsukikage seasonal matcha from ippodo? Is it worth trying out?

+ Post Reply