Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 26th, '17, 08:00

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by kuánglóng » Jun 26th, '17, 08:00

Organic Dragon Well (cantontea)

Got 50g as a freebie with a larger order and found it to be pretty decent and refreshing, especially with outside temperatures above 30°C.

Jun 27th, '17, 11:15

by joelbct » Jun 27th, '17, 11:15

Ethan do you factor in the degrees lost with the pour?

For the Pyrex vessel I use, my CPK-17 set on 200 will be 180 after pour and heat distributes to the glass, if I don't preheat the vessel. Possibly some margin of error for my thermometer, haven't calibrated it in a while.

Even with vessel preheated, a 10°F drop in temp is a good rule of thumb for the pour alone. As you probably know.

Drinking TeaVivre's 2017 March 26-plucked Organic Ming Qian Long Jing, which I'd thought wasn't that great, but it came out excellent this time. Better than the slightly earlier-plucked and 200% cost March 21 She Qian, imho. Good balance between delicate early spring tea but still with that mineraly slightly nutty LJ flavor, although not super robust.

Using thermometer in vessel, water was 175°F when I added the tea, brewed for 2 min.

Jun 27th, '17, 17:27
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 27th, '17, 17:27

joelbct wrote: Ethan do you factor in the degrees lost with the pour?
Not really, Joel.

In the USA, I use the bonavita kettle w/ the narrow gooseneck spout which seems as hot as the body of the kettle whenever I touch myself with it. I get the mouth of the spout right into the gaiwan or teapot. I am sure I don't lose much heat from the pour.

In the summer I don't preheat teaware. It seems that using water about 3C hotter compensates for not preheating. If my preparation lets me down for a few days or so, I think seriously about it and measure and vary parameters until I get into a good groove again.

Of the teas that I have in rotation, Championship Black from Taiwan, has the narrowest range for temperature (96-100C). All the others are quite forgiving.

Jun 27th, '17, 18:55

by JRS22 » Jun 27th, '17, 18:55

Why oh why did I wait until the penultimate session of Tai Ping Hou Kui to remember to try what I refer to as the grandma brewing method. I have an upright Gaiwan, a beautiful piece by Hong Seong-Il. It's perfect for TPHK because of its relative to its diameter. I brewed it uncovered with 180° water and then used the cover to get a clean pour into my beautiful Shyrabbit cup. Brewed this way the tea is delicate and sweet. I may need to order more.
IMG_4491.jpg
IMG_4491.jpg (66.97 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

Jul 3rd, '17, 08:22

by Xeractha » Jul 3rd, '17, 08:22

I really enjoy cold brewed Hon-Bancha nowadays, bought it from Zencha. So far this tea works best for cold brewing.

Question time... Would it be a bad idea to buy Higashi-yama as my first gyokuro? It's only 1350 yen at Maiko. I can't afford those 10000 yen teas but I don't want my first experience with gyo to be bad.
I'm thinking about those cheaper matcha teas too. Kyo Mukashi, Uji-Midori 1350-1080 yen. Never tried matcha either. I'm just a little worried that these teas wouldn't really reflect what gyokuro and matcha should be.

I really liked their Uji no Kaori (karigane). So I suppose I couldn't go wrong with the cheapest gyokuro either.

Jul 3rd, '17, 12:44

by Pig Hog » Jul 3rd, '17, 12:44

I like Maiko's Matsu No Midori and Kyo Mukashi. You can't really go wrong with these. I've not bought anything cheaper from them.

I have a funny relationship with gyokuro—I never enjoy it as much as I feel like I should. Personally I prefer to spend the money on a more expensive sencha but any of Maiko's gyokuro will be decent. Buy something mid-range and don't worry too much.

I've always been tempted by their range from Yamashita-san and now that it's on sale...

Jul 3rd, '17, 14:26

by Xeractha » Jul 3rd, '17, 14:26

Pig Hog wrote: I like Maiko's Matsu No Midori and Kyo Mukashi. You can't really go wrong with these. I've not bought anything cheaper from them.

I have a funny relationship with gyokuro—I never enjoy it as much as I feel like I should. Personally I prefer to spend the money on a more expensive sencha but any of Maiko's gyokuro will be decent. Buy something mid-range and don't worry too much.

I've always been tempted by their range from Yamashita-san and now that it's on sale...
Hm, thanks. Matcha comes in a fancy carton! That's a plus. :D I think I'll start with Kyo Mukashi. Gyokuro comes later. I've got some shincha so I don't want to stock up tons of greens.

Jul 4th, '17, 23:27

by debunix » Jul 4th, '17, 23:27

Sparkling sencha as a cool and celebratory drink this afternoon, enjoyed from a Shyrabbit nuka/tenmoku chawan

170704 Sparkling sencha _DEB1130 by debunix, on Flickr

Jul 5th, '17, 14:51

by dshu » Jul 5th, '17, 14:51

O-cha's Kaoru Organic Matcha left a green monster in my bowl :mrgreen:

Less deep umami and more light floral notes in this one.

Jul 5th, '17, 19:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mrs. Chip » Jul 5th, '17, 19:29

Love it!

Jul 8th, '17, 10:17

by mael » Jul 8th, '17, 10:17

Kama-iri cha from Fujieda, Fuji-kaori cultivar from april 30, 2017 (thes-du-japon.com)

Everytime I'm having this tea I want to share it on teachat because it is a very good tea, it is time to let everyone know I'm liking this tea very much :)

Wet leaves between infusions have a superb strong perfum, tea body aroma is intense floral, many infusions can be made, brew quite like a oolong. I recommend it.

Jul 8th, '17, 23:54

by debunix » Jul 8th, '17, 23:54

In current heatwave, sparkling sencha* is so very good.

*sencha added to sparkling water and refrigerated for cool brewing

Jul 15th, '17, 15:00

by Ferg » Jul 15th, '17, 15:00

Enjoying an O-Cha offering, Tsuen's Yume no Ukihashi Uji Gyokuro, with my first use of the Jozan on this mid-July summer's day. Absolutely divine, slightly sweet and vegetal. Actually, brewing up my second round with mom at the moment. She approves. :)

Jul 15th, '17, 15:01

by Ferg » Jul 15th, '17, 15:01

A couple more.

Jul 15th, '17, 16:02

by victoria3 » Jul 15th, '17, 16:02

Ferg keep pictures coming of your new Yamada Jozan III kyusu. The clay looks awesome.
At the moment I'm enjoying Ippodo's Gyokuro Ippoen, elegant vegetal broth with lots of umami.

+ Post Reply