Years old RofT green tea bags

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 25th, '06, 13:22

by jogrebe » Apr 25th, '06, 13:22

Makes sense I recently helped my grandmother clean out her kitchen cabinet of all the old tea that she didn't want anymore and in the end I ended up throwing out virtually all of it. There was a ROT tin of Blackberry Sage which was at least 3 years old that was so bad when I made it I dumped it out and threw out the rest of the leaves. A 5 year old tin of Twinings Gunpowder green tea (we both got a tin of it my sophomore year of college and I'm in my 3rd year of grad school now), which I didn't even bother to try before throwing it out. There was also a box of chamomile teabags which at first didn't even smell like chamomile and when I tried brewing it 6 teabags stuffed into a single mug only gave me pale yellow water which also did not smell like chamomile either. In the end the only tea that I ended up keeping was an almost empty tin of lemon flavored black tea brought back as a gift from Italy around a year ago which was fairly good.

Seriously before I was a bit skeptical about tea going bad thinking it was mainly a ploy of the tea companies to get one to throw out their tea after a year or so and then buy more but after this experience I KNOW for a fact that tea can and does go bad with age.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Apr 25th, '06, 14:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 25th, '06, 14:03

rabbit wrote:I force myself to drink the old tea that I can't give away because it would be a shame to just trash it :roll:
Rabbit, are you punishing yourself for something you did in a past life and living in tea purgatory???

I can't waste a tea moment to drink it...but I can't throw old tea away either. It's not the $ so much, it's all the hands and souls that touched that tea along it's way to my cabinet...to just sit there for eternity...that's ashame. So, I think I keep it to remind myself of that, so I avoid purchasing too much tea...or the wrong tea...in the future.

I agree with you, Jo. Green tea bags lose there punch really quickly, leaving but a shadow of what it once was.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 25th, '06, 16:15

by MarshalN » Apr 25th, '06, 16:15

I only drink tea once a day, and I'm not going to waste my time drinking inferior tea.

Sep 1st, '06, 15:00

by jogrebe » Sep 1st, '06, 15:00

rabbit wrote:I force myself to drink the old tea that I can't give away because it would be a shame to just trash it :roll:
In that case I guess after a few times you get motivated not to buy more tea than you can handle before it goes bad :wink:
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

+ Post Reply