My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

User avatar
Jan 31st 11 8:15 pm
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 16th 10 7:59 pm
Location: Venice - Italy

My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Fireflower » Jan 31st 11 8:15 pm

i'm looking to purchase other matcha (my first and actual is yuuki midori from yuuki cha).
i put my eyes upon matchas from maiko tea and ippodo, maybe chiyo mukashi from maiko or sayaka no mukashi (or horai no mukashi)
which vendor you suggest beetween this two for matcha?

User avatar
Jan 31st 11 8:40 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: my next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Chip » Jan 31st 11 8:40 pm

Either one, they are both reputable vendors offering quality matcha.

User avatar
Feb 1st 11 4:18 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: my next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by olivierco » Feb 1st 11 4:18 pm

Ippodo ships only via ems, so if you buy from them you should make a large order (6 items or more) to lower the shipping costs per item. I usually buy their wakamatsu no mukashi matcha which is quite good for usacha and for koicha.

User avatar
Feb 1st 11 5:35 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: my next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Chip » Feb 1st 11 5:35 pm

olivierco wrote:Ippodo ships only via ems, so if you buy from them you should make a large order (6 items or more) to lower the shipping costs per item. I usually buy their wakamatsu no mukashi matcha which is quite good for usacha and for koicha.
Yeah, the biggest challenge to ordering from Ippodo is the shipping which is not cheap. You have to plan your order carefully in order to maximize your tea to shipping costs.

User avatar
Feb 2nd 11 12:44 am
Posts: 1574
Joined: Dec 31st 08 2:16 am
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: my next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by iannon » Feb 2nd 11 12:44 am

Chip wrote:Either one, they are both reputable vendors offering quality matcha.
+1..i dont think you can go wrong either way

User avatar
Feb 2nd 11 7:11 am
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 16th 10 7:59 pm
Location: Venice - Italy

Re: my next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Fireflower » Feb 2nd 11 7:11 am

i ordered horai no mukashi and sayaka no mukashi
until i am trying different teas for the first time (i am very new about tea and green tea) i order only a small amount, when i understood whic will be my favourite teas i will start to order bigger amounts of senchas and matchas.
next time io will try maiko.
thanks!

User avatar
Feb 2nd 11 7:55 am
Posts: 509
Joined: Oct 8th 10 10:59 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Germany

Re: my next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Stentor » Feb 2nd 11 7:55 am

Fireflower wrote:i am trying different teas for the first time (i am very new about tea and green tea) i order only a small amount, when i understood whic will be my favourite teas i will start to order bigger amounts of senchas and matchas.
Sounds like a good strategy!

User avatar
Feb 3rd 11 6:32 am
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 28th 08 8:14 pm

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Oni » Feb 3rd 11 6:32 am

Do not forget Marukyu-Koyamaen, multi award wining matcha, and they supply the Urasenke.... They won the All Japan tea competition in matcha category many times, so they are the ultimate matcha store, I am planing for years to try them out, but I still need a few teaware items before I order from them, so I can enjoy their tea, sofar I had a gyokuro from them which was stellar.

User avatar
Feb 3rd 11 6:42 am
Posts: 4536
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Tead Off » Feb 3rd 11 6:42 am

Fireflower wrote:i'm looking to purchase other matcha (my first and actual is yuuki midori from yuuki cha).
i put my eyes upon matchas from maiko tea and ippodo, maybe chiyo mukashi from maiko or sayaka no mukashi (or horai no mukashi)
which vendor you suggest beetween this two for matcha?
I was recently given Ippodo's New Year's matcha which is specially made for this time of year. I found it to be one of the best matchas I've had. Rich and creamy, very smooth.

User avatar
Feb 10th 11 8:12 pm
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 16th 10 7:59 pm
Location: Venice - Italy

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Fireflower » Feb 10th 11 8:12 pm

i tried horai and i like it very much!
for my taste it is much better than yuuki midori from yuuki cha that i tried last week.

sayaka is different from horai (the site telle same grade) or it change inly that 20g or 40g can?

Feb 11th 11 3:40 pm
Posts: 1622
Joined: Jun 25th 08 3:03 am

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by edkrueger » Feb 11th 11 3:40 pm

...
Last edited by edkrueger on Feb 11th 11 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feb 11th 11 3:46 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by olivierco » Feb 11th 11 3:46 pm

Fireflower wrote: sayaka is different from horai (the site telle same grade) or it change inly that 20g or 40g can?
Same tea.
ippodo wrote:A 20g package and 40g package of the same unit prices actually contain the same tea grade, but different names are given to each tea according to its package design.

User avatar
Feb 11th 11 6:45 pm
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 16th 10 7:59 pm
Location: Venice - Italy

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Fireflower » Feb 11th 11 6:45 pm

olivierco wrote:
Fireflower wrote: sayaka is different from horai (the site telle same grade) or it change inly that 20g or 40g can?
Same tea.
ippodo wrote:A 20g package and 40g package of the same unit prices actually contain the same tea grade, but different names are given to each tea according to its package design.
for same grade i understand same grade of quality but not same tea, is it wrong this mine interpretation?

User avatar
Feb 11th 11 7:01 pm
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by Chip » Feb 11th 11 7:01 pm

I always thought they were the same matcha, just different name due to package sizing, confusing as it is when trying to pick a matcha.

User avatar
Feb 11th 11 9:21 pm
Posts: 3348
Joined: Feb 8th 08 7:10 am
Location: France

Re: My next matcha, from maiko or ippodo?

by olivierco » Feb 11th 11 9:21 pm

Exact same descriptions on both Japanese and English stores.
This grade of matcha is the same as that used for Wakamatsu-no-mukashi, which was named by the Omote-Senke family of tea masters.
中身の抹茶は表千家御好『若松の昔』と同じです。