Earthquake 3/11/11

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 16th, '11, 12:09

Re: Earthquake 3/11/11

by Robert Fornell » Mar 16th, '11, 12:09

Hi John,

Hey congrats on you upcoming show there and I hope that things improve on the ground to allow it to go on. I missed you in Boston last weekend as it was a very good event and had hoped to meet.

I think my point had less to due with the news media and their agendas ie. FOX News, MSNBC, than with government accountabilty and the release of facts. Geiger counters don't have agendas nor cultural or personal biases. I'm very upset with the Japanese govenments' continual pattern of not being very forthright, not unique to Japan by any means, with it's citizenry in times of national crisis and then after it's too late they go into apology mode. I saw this during the Kobe earthquke when I was living there, and I sense I'm seeing it again now.

This from the head of the IAEA this AM....

In the first hint of international frustration at the pace of updates from Japan, Yukiya Amano, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said he wanted more timely and detailed information.

"We do not have all the details of the information so what we can do is limited," Amano told a news conference in Vienna. "I am trying to further improve the communication."

This coupled with the cultural trait, and this is a stereotype here, of waiting for the head of your organization, after consulting his inner core of associates (a process called nemawashi), to make the decision then everyone acts together rather than individuals taking action. But then again how would one effectively organize a timely mass evacuation of a city of 15,000,000 people? Which brings me back to my earlier point which is, on an individual level (Amerithink here), to urge everyone I know in Tokyo to leave as soon as possible, by whatever means possible.

Again, I urge all here to try to do whatever you can via donations etc. to try to help as this disaster will take many many years to heal.

Best,
Rob

Mar 16th, '11, 15:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Mar 16th, '11, 15:11

the NEI is a curious choice to try and get an objective view on this. as i read and was posted here even the IAEA claims not to have all the information.
"In the first hint of international frustration at the pace of updates from Japan, Yukiya Amano, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said he wanted more timely and detailed information.
"We do not have all the details of the information so what we can do is limited," Amano told a news conference in Vienna. "I am trying to further improve the communication."
regardless, this is not a parlour game - we all recognize the suffering and potential harm that is the current situation in japan. i hope the collective well wishes from around the world brings comfort and healing - however there are still situations from the kobe eathquake that have yet to be resolved for some japanese, so our compassion should remain ever vigilant

Mar 16th, '11, 15:22

by Chip » Mar 16th, '11, 15:22

Heard from Kevin an hour or so ago ... and he also posted on his forum.
Kevangogh wrote:Now in Tsukuba city, staying in a hotel. We decided it was time to leave for a few days, lol. Slept in my car last night in Mito because there were no rooms. Waiting in a 6 hour line this morning for 1/2 tank of gasoline. Not sure what we will do next, just watching the situation unfold.

Mar 16th, '11, 15:28

by Ti » Mar 16th, '11, 15:28

My heart bleeds for the people of Japan now. But what can I/we do? I am an old man and I balk at sending money that can be siphoned-off the top and not reach the suffering people. I really wish to physically go there and help but that isn't possible. So what can be done to help?

Mar 16th, '11, 16:10

by Robert Fornell » Mar 16th, '11, 16:10

Ti wrote:My heart bleeds for the people of Japan now. But what can I/we do? I am an old man and I balk at sending money that can be siphoned-off the top and not reach the suffering people. I really wish to physically go there and help but that isn't possible. So what can be done to help?
When opening your browser to Yahoo, right at the top there is a link called Japan Relief which when opened will lead to any number of organizations to donate. While some are probably more efficient than others, any donation would be welcome and put to work.

Mar 16th, '11, 16:16

by rdl » Mar 16th, '11, 16:16

Ti wrote:My heart bleeds for the people of Japan now. But what can I/we do? I am an old man and I balk at sending money that can be siphoned-off the top and not reach the suffering people. I really wish to physically go there and help but that isn't possible. So what can be done to help?
you can go to charity navigator
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
to first check on any organization you may consider donating to.

Mar 16th, '11, 17:04

by Ti » Mar 16th, '11, 17:04

Thank you. I will check out the links.

Mar 16th, '11, 17:45

by Shambles » Mar 16th, '11, 17:45

Chip wrote:Heard from Kevin an hour or so ago ... and he also posted on his forum.
Kevangogh wrote:Now in Tsukuba city, staying in a hotel. We decided it was time to leave for a few days, lol. Slept in my car last night in Mito because there were no rooms. Waiting in a 6 hour line this morning for 1/2 tank of gasoline. Not sure what we will do next, just watching the situation unfold.
Chip - once again, thanks for the update. I was quite concerned, considering the comments of US, French and UK governments urging people to leave the area.

It's probably wrong of me to pick out one person in a sprawling humanitarian disaster, but the sheer scale of it all is too much for my imagination. They are all in my prayers.

Mar 16th, '11, 17:57

by Robert Fornell » Mar 16th, '11, 17:57

Regarding Japanese media, here are a few live links:

NHK http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv43018790

NHK http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jishinsokuhou

TBS http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv

フジ http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv43019860

The top 2 are NHK while the 3rd is Tokyo Broadcasting System with the 4th being Fuji Television.

Mar 16th, '11, 18:57

by NOESIS » Mar 16th, '11, 18:57

From AP: No water in spent fuel pool @ reactor #4. If true, this why the US gov told its citizens to leave within 50 mile radius. A spent fuel fire is a real possibility (if the info is accurate).

Mar 16th, '11, 19:10

by Chasm » Mar 16th, '11, 19:10

I've been watching the power situation, and I'd go with the 50 mile radius if you have the option. But chances are if you're within 50 miles of the Fukushima-Daiichi plant, you have much bigger problems than a little radiation.

If you are in that area and can and do evacuate, please take someone with you who has no way out.

Mar 16th, '11, 19:12

An easy way to help

by Chasm » Mar 16th, '11, 19:12

The world energy reserves will be taxed by this situation, for a number of reasons. Any energy you conserve frees up fuel to the global supply, making it easier to obtain for those in need in Japan.

Mar 16th, '11, 20:55

by JBaymore » Mar 16th, '11, 20:55

Robert Fornell wrote:Hey congrats on you upcoming show there and I hope that things improve on the ground to allow it to go on.
Thanks. We'll see. (We can maybe talk more in a different thread.)
Robert Fornell wrote: I missed you in Boston last weekend as it was a very good event and had hoped to meet.
Yeah, me too. I was ticked about not being able to be there. Prior commitment for the weekend and had to teach all day on on Monday. (Again... another thread.)
Robert Fornell wrote: ..........this is a stereotype here, of waiting for the head of your organization, after consulting his inner core of associates (a process called nemawashi), to make the decision then everyone acts together rather than individuals taking action.
That's just a given there, isn't it. And the worse the situation... the more this trait will "rule".

Unfortunately, some of the media outlets are just LOVING this event to death. Bad news is good news. What's that song line, "I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear...........everyone knows that craft is king...... give me kitanai sentakumono (dirty laundry)........... kick em' when they're up, kick em' when they're down.......". Dispicable.

And I agree with some of the comments here that the media hype over the nuclear stuff is tending to overshadow and make people forget about the quake and tsunami....which are absolutely awful in their own regard.

best,

.............john

Mar 16th, '11, 22:17

by fire_snake » Mar 16th, '11, 22:17

I've been hearing that they're attempting to establish a power line to the plant in question in order to turn provide power to the cooling units. Any word on how this is progressing?

I've got friends in Japan, most of whom live far from affected areas. They're telling me things are rough but they're managing. One of them seemed rather positive, to be honest.

Mar 16th, '11, 22:23

by Chasm » Mar 16th, '11, 22:23

Yeah, they're tapping into another utility and running a line to the plant to connect to a makeshift switchboard. It would have been done today, but the radiation levels won't let them get close enough long enough.

+ Post Reply