Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Aug 23rd, '11, 00:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 00:15

a.serrao wrote: What I was complaining was the lack of transparency, that is some japanese online vendors limit themselves to put some scanned pdf tests on their sites, some even don't put anything, and they are the majority, while the german vendor has a much more comprehensive way of tracking the tea. You can, for example, call the german laboratory which made the tests and ask for a copy of the certificate, signed.
Well, reality is that like much less than <1% of tea vendors world-wide offer the level of documentation you are talking about with this one vendor.
Plus, Kagoshima tea was never submitted to radiation tests, as far as I know.
I am certain that there has been testing of Kagoshima teas (or food crops). Even if it was a watchdog group conducting the tests. If there was radiation detected from Fukushima, the world would know. Like I said pages ago, this cat is soooo out of the bag and there is no getting it back in.
Xell wrote:
a.serrao wrote: Why darjeeling tea is submitted to many tests and Kagoshima tea not?
Because Indian teas had a bad reputation and every one piece needs some kind of proof to drink it relatively without worries.
+1

Aug 23rd, '11, 01:17
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Aug 23rd, '11, 01:17

As I mentioned earlier, some people will never be satisfied even if you post test results with zero radiation. It must be a conspiracy.

Aug 23rd, '11, 02:26

by a.serrao » Aug 23rd, '11, 02:26

Kevangogh wrote:As I mentioned earlier, some people will never be satisfied even if you post test results with zero radiation. It must be a conspiracy.
Like someone else said in this topic, private documentations can be faked.

Aug 23rd, '11, 05:33

by Chesslover » Aug 23rd, '11, 05:33

Kevangogh wrote:As I mentioned earlier, some people will never be satisfied even if you post test results with zero radiation.
Did I miss something?...could I see those tests?

Aug 23rd, '11, 08:17
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Aug 23rd, '11, 08:17

a.serrao wrote:Like someone else said in this topic, private documentations can be faked.
So you are saying they are faked then? Honestly, you have lost all credibility with me now.

Chesslover - I posted a link a page or two back with results of voluntary testing in various growing areas of Uji.

Aug 23rd, '11, 08:27

by a.serrao » Aug 23rd, '11, 08:27

Kevangogh wrote:
a.serrao wrote:Like someone else said in this topic, private documentations can be faked.
So you are saying they are faked then? Honestly, you have lost all credibility with me now.
No Kevin, I'm only saying what I've written, that is someone else had said that private sectors' documentations can be faked.

If you cared to read all my posts here, on Aug 23rd 00:38 I said clearly: "What I was meaning was the opposite. That is, either japanese and german tests are equally valid."

I'm sorry to hear that from you, however I'm not concerned about it.
Hope for the best.

Aug 23rd, '11, 09:03

by JBaymore » Aug 23rd, '11, 09:03

a.serrao wrote:If you cared to read all my posts here, on Aug 23rd 00:38 I said clearly: "What I was meaning was the opposite. That is, either japanese and german tests are equally valid."
And in the same exact post you contradict that statement by saying:
a.serrao wrote:But I've begun to learn that japanese government is way much more prone to cover ups than the german one. So maybe also japanese people. Hence my doubts. There are examples in that sense (in the automobile industry - Mitsubishi for example).

..................john

Aug 23rd, '11, 09:16

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 09:16

... I would be much much much more concerned about the documentation of Indian teas before the German company got there hands on it. This is more where I was indicating faked documentation.

Simple example, just about everyone knows that much more Darjeeling tea is sold than is actually produced. There so many shananigans going on with Indian tea.

Aug 23rd, '11, 09:32

by Chip » Aug 23rd, '11, 09:32

a.serrao wrote:
Kevangogh wrote:
No Kevin, I'm only saying what I've written, that is someone else had said that private sectors' documentations can be faked.

If you cared to read all my posts here, on Aug 23rd 00:38 I said clearly: "What I was meaning was the opposite. That is, either japanese and german tests are equally valid."

I'm sorry to hear that from you, however I'm not concerned about it.
Hope for the best.
This is interesting and emotionally charged.

We have Kevin who was living near ground zero so to speak, an actual refugee. He has been greatly impacted personally and professionally by the problems centered around Fukushima. And he continues to be affected and likely will for quite some time to come. Yet positively charged so to speak.

Then there is a.serreo in Italy, a watchdog from afar, negatively charged so to speak. As tenacious as he is 1000's of miles away, I can tell you I am certain there are scores if not 100's or 1000's of watchdogs and media all over Japan, looking for any tiny slip in reporting, any cover-up, even conducting their own tests.

If there was detectable radiation from Fukashima in Uji or Kagoshima, we would know about it.

Not to mention the science community using this as a once in a lifetime opportunity for research and education.

Aug 23rd, '11, 10:36

by a.serrao » Aug 23rd, '11, 10:36

Chip wrote: We have Kevin who was living near ground zero so to speak, an actual refugee. He has been greatly impacted personally and professionally by the problems centered around Fukushima. And he continues to be affected and likely will for quite some time to come. Yet positively charged so to speak.

Then there is a.serreo in Italy, a watchdog from afar, negatively charged so to speak. As tenacious as he is 1000's of miles away, I can tell you I am certain there are scores if not 100's or 1000's of watchdogs and media all over Japan, looking for any tiny slip in reporting, any cover-up, even conducting their own tests.

If there was detectable radiation from Fukashima in Uji or Kagoshima, we would know about it.

Not to mention the science community using this as a once in a lifetime opportunity for research and education.
I'm not negatively charged, I can assure you Chip.
I'm way less concerned by the Fukushima accident than Kevin is and will be, unfortunately on a personal and on a business level.
I'm sorry for all the japanese people who deserve for sure a better government. In the collective imagination Japan was pictured like a nearly perfect country. Nowadays this picture has faded, with that also trust has faded in a certain extent.

The fact that I'm many thousands of miles away from Fukushima renders me unconcerned for the time being. But I must condiser all aspect of buying food from Japan. I think I'm not over reacting on this. I mean, everyone is concerned when it comes to health.

I beg pardon for having drifted OT.

Aug 23rd, '11, 10:45

by a.serrao » Aug 23rd, '11, 10:45

Chip wrote:... I would be much much much more concerned about the documentation of Indian teas before the German company got there hands on it. This is more where I was indicating faked documentation.
But the possible fakes are irrelevant because all radiation and contamination tests are done in Germany by a local lab.
Chip, what you said (and I agree with you on that) indicates that if you start to doubt about what's happening in a country from a legality point of view, if you start to loose trust in a country, then it's natural to start wondering about what you read on the net. You begin to pop questions like "will it be true or not...".

That's exactly what I was meaning.

Aug 23rd, '11, 10:52

by a.serrao » Aug 23rd, '11, 10:52

JBaymore wrote:
a.serrao wrote:If you cared to read all my posts here, on Aug 23rd 00:38 I said clearly: "What I was meaning was the opposite. That is, either japanese and german tests are equally valid."
And in the same exact post you contradict that statement by saying:
a.serrao wrote:But I've begun to learn that japanese government is way much more prone to cover ups than the german one. So maybe also japanese people. Hence my doubts. There are examples in that sense (in the automobile industry - Mitsubishi for example).

..................john
It's an apparent contradiction.
I'll try to explain the best I can.
I have to trust all various japanese green tea vendors because otherwise it would be pure chaos. I wouldn't live anymore and, worst, I wouldn't drink japanese green tea. :wink:

BUT, at the same times, being my faith and trust in the japanese country as a whole was radically lowered after the Fukushima accident I'm starting to pose questions like "will it be true...". Japanese government and TEPCO had given ample prove of their incapacity. They have handled the situation badly. The fact that the government has imposed VOLUNTARY bans on Shizuoka tea doesn't reassure me.

Aug 23rd, '11, 12:45

by JBaymore » Aug 23rd, '11, 12:45

Here is what the U.S. Govermnent has to say on the Embassy website:

------------------------------------------------------
Are food and water safe in Japan?

U.S. government experts have met with Japanese experts and reviewed available documents and data from the Japanese food safety system, including Japan’s efforts to protect the food and water supply from radioactive contamination. As a result, U.S. government experts have concluded that the Government of Japan has the resources and technical capabilities to identify and quarantine contaminated food and water before they reach consumers. U.S. government experts also believe that the food safety system is sound and the Government of Japan is taking appropriate steps to ensure the safety of the food and water supply.

How do Japanese standards for food safety compare to U.S. and international standards?

Japan’s established standards for radioactive contamination in food are based on the same target doses for radiological protection as those of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Japan’s approach is consistent with international guidance, uses up-to-date radiological risk data, and applies conservative (i.e., protective) assumptions.

How is the Government of Japan protecting the food supply?

Since March 11, the Government of Japan has undertaken to test every category of food in order to make timely and appropriate decisions to ensure a safe food supply. Upon finding any cases of food contaminated above guidance levels, Japanese authorities have taken action by immediately blocking the distribution of that class of food within the affected prefecture. Affected products have been subjected to continuous monitoring and have only been allowed back onto the market when they have passed three consecutive tests.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Of couse, we can't trust them either, can we? :roll: :lol:

best,

...............john

Aug 23rd, '11, 15:50

by a.serrao » Aug 23rd, '11, 15:50

JBaymore wrote: Of couse, we can't trust them either, can we? :roll: :lol:

best,

...............john
You can save your sarcasm for better occasions. :lol:
EU state members think a bit differently (luckily).
There's still a lot of paperwork to do for importing tea, so much that some producers didn't export japanese tea at all to Europe.
This means something to me.

source: http://www.deljpn.ec.europa.eu/modules/ ... 0704b.html

Aug 23rd, '11, 16:39

by David R. » Aug 23rd, '11, 16:39

For me the fact that teas are not exported to Europe mainly means that they won't sale. Tchernobyl remains vivid in people's mind here. So why import/export fresh tea that no one will buy ?

This topic, whether it is here or on blogs, etc, is always very passionate. As I see it, the gap between caution and paranoia looks pretty thin sometimes.

My personal opinion is that whether you rely on tests, or you begin to doubt everything, including what you eat, with possibly high level of pesticides, GMO, and other cell phones waves, wifi, etc.

A few months ago, the fact that radioactive teas were found in Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport proves that the system works. Tests are conducted and what goes through the filtering device is ok.

Anyway, in the end, everyone is responsible of his/her actions.