Hobin vs. Shiboridashi?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Given a choice of Hobin vs. Shiboridashi for appropriate tea(s), which do you choose?

Houjin always
8%
Houjin mostly
33%
A coin toss
13%
Shib mostly
21%
Shib always
8%
Other
17%

Total votes: 24

Sep 1st, '11, 12:44
Vendor Member

Re: Hobin vs. Shiboridashi?

by Xell » Sep 1st, '11, 12:44

I would prefer tiny kyusu above everything else. Kyusu size of ~100ml are simply amazing. But if only from two items in topic, i guess it would be shiboridashi, i don't own one yet. Hope i can fix this soon :)

p.s.
It's quite funny now, how my feeling of teaware size changed. When i bought my first kyusu it was 288ml and it felt at that time really tiny. Now i think it's quite huge and better to use it only for 2-3 people.

Sep 1st, '11, 12:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 1st, '11, 12:52

Xell wrote:I would prefer tiny kyusu above everything else. Kyusu size of ~100ml are simply amazing. But if only from two items in topic, i guess it would be shiboridashi, i don't own one yet. Hope i can fix this soon :)

p.s.
It's quite funny now, how my feeling of teaware size changed. When i bought my first kyusu it was 288ml and it felt at that time really tiny. Now i think it's quite huge and better to use it only for 2-3 people.
Hm, forgot about the small ... er tiny ... kyusu option. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sep 7th, '11, 01:21

by Flonihoncha » Sep 7th, '11, 01:21

Xell wrote:I would prefer tiny kyusu above everything else. Kyusu size of ~100ml are simply amazing. But if only from two items in topic, i guess it would be shiboridashi, i don't own one yet. Hope i can fix this soon :)
I agree with you.

However, i prefer think sharp and material (and volume of course).
For very high grade teas that we brew with few water, lots of leaves, Something large and flat seems to be better, and almost shiboridashi are like this. But for the same high grade teas, we usually want to bring out sweetness/Unami, and for this porcelain works better. Porcelain hohin are more common than porcelain shiboridashi i think. Of course, this is only general speaking. (there were research last years that's shown ceramic make tea taste stronger, bringing out the tea's Umami and astringency, porcelain get a lighter taste with no astringency).
Finally, accessories is more for me a question of mood.

Besides, in a lot of wholeseller catalog, shiboridashi is a subcategory of hobin.

Sep 13th, '11, 09:56

by Chip » Sep 13th, '11, 09:56

I used a pretty small kyusu to brew Temomi-cha, partially due to this discussion. Holds a little over 3 ounces (100 ml) in praticality.

I really do like a tiny kyusu (well, like any size really), feels sweet in hand and use ... not to mention it is beautiful as well.

This one is very nice, but a more artisanal one would be even better!!! :mrgreen: Maybe a smaller one.

Oh, I almost forgot, I picked up a Korean artisanal kyusu recently that was made by Seong-il. This one holds 3 ounces (90 ml) to the rim before adding leaves.

Sep 13th, '11, 23:21

by Tead Off » Sep 13th, '11, 23:21

Chip wrote:I used a pretty small kyusu to brew Temomi-cha, partially due to this discussion. Holds a little over 3 ounces (100 ml) in praticality.

I really do like a tiny kyusu (well, like any size really), feels sweet in hand and use ... not to mention it is beautiful as well.

This one is very nice, but a more artisanal one would be even better!!! :mrgreen: Maybe a smaller one.

Oh, I almost forgot, I picked up a Korean artisanal kyusu recently that was made by Seong-il. This one holds 3 ounces (90 ml) to the rim before adding leaves.
Well, whaddya waiting for!? :D

Sep 14th, '11, 00:00

by Chip » Sep 14th, '11, 00:00

Tead Off wrote:Well, whaddya waiting for!? :D
... procrastinatin' ... :mrgreen:

Sep 27th, '11, 12:44

by Chip » Sep 27th, '11, 12:44

... re Hobin-s ... I really like the "pelican bill" spout. As leaves accumulate at the screen during pouring, when refilling with hot water, I can pour the water right into the spout ... wallah! ... the leaves are washed away from the screen as well.

Sweet!

+ Post Reply