Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 15:23
Posts: 108
Joined: May 15th, '11

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:23

I love brewing high quality fukamushi like this -- the Yame from Den's and the Chiran Shincha from O-Cha were both incredible brewed around 145*! I usually steep for about 1:30, but some teas need a bit longer.

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 15:36
Posts: 673
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by sherubtse » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:36

Cole wrote:I love brewing high quality fukamushi like this -- the Yame from Den's and the Chiran Shincha from O-Cha were both incredible brewed around 145*! I usually steep for about 1:30, but some teas need a bit longer.
Glad to hear you say this, Cole, as I have some Chiran in the fridge now, awaiting use. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 16:01
Posts: 108
Joined: May 15th, '11

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:01

sherubtse wrote:
Cole wrote:I love brewing high quality fukamushi like this -- the Yame from Den's and the Chiran Shincha from O-Cha were both incredible brewed around 145*! I usually steep for about 1:30, but some teas need a bit longer.
Glad to hear you say this, Cole, as I have some Chiran in the fridge now, awaiting use. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Enjoy it thoroughly, Sherubtse! I loved that tea :)

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 16:10
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:10

Cole, how much leaf per water ratio do you use when brewing this cool?

I notice these are both Yutaka Midori varietal teas, do you also do others?

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 16:58
Posts: 108
Joined: May 15th, '11

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:58

Chip wrote:Cole, how much leaf per water ratio do you use when brewing this cool?

I notice these are both Yutaka Midori varietal teas, do you also do others?
I do as many teas as my pocketbook will allow, Chip! :lol: I enjoy yabukita (Den's Gyokuro Kin) and O-Cha's Saemidori sencha from Kagoshima, but I seem to always gravitate towards YM fukamushi senchas. I know I've tried Gokou along the way, but I think I just might have to experiment with some new varietals to see how they differ in the cup!

I've found this method works really well with fukamushis that have a bit of latent umami, but aren't too sweet at 160* or so. Oddly enough, I remember not caring for this method as much with asamushi or karigane blends, but YMMV!

I use a standard 1:1 ratio in my little houhin, and it usually turns out pretty good! I think you might like a little stronger (120, 60, 90 second) steeps, but it kinda depends on the tea.

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 17:11
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21640
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:11

OK, thank you kindly! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 17:17
Posts: 108
Joined: May 15th, '11

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:17

But of course! Looking forward to hearing how/if it differs for ya!

User avatar
Nov 2nd, '11, 19:18
Posts: 673
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by sherubtse » Nov 2nd, '11, 19:18

Cole wrote:I love brewing high quality fukamushi like this -- the Yame from Den's and the Chiran Shincha from O-Cha were both incredible brewed around 145*! I usually steep for about 1:30, but some teas need a bit longer.
Interestingly (at least for me) that works out to about 63 deg. C, which is my preferred temp for YM & SM from O-Cha. I'll now have to try that temp for the Chiran as well (which, thanks for your comments, Cole, I plan to get to earlier than I had planned.)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
Nov 3rd, '11, 00:37
Posts: 108
Joined: May 15th, '11

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Cole » Nov 3rd, '11, 00:37

Haha, I sure hope you like it, Sherubtse! It was the first tea I tried from O-cha (so I might be a little bit biased), but I remember just loving it.

Looking forward to hearing how it brews up for you!

User avatar
Nov 3rd, '11, 09:59
Posts: 205
Joined: Aug 2nd, '11
Location: Poland

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by chado.my.teaway » Nov 3rd, '11, 09:59

When I brew Sencha its always shiboridashi.

1- 70cel 60s

2 -75cel 30s

3 -80cel 3-6 min.

and for me its excellent;)

User avatar
Nov 3rd, '11, 13:37
Posts: 226
Joined: Mar 7th, '11
Location: Michigan

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by FlyedPiper » Nov 3rd, '11, 13:37

I found the Chiran a wonderful tea, but has a bitter edge to it when the temps are raised. I had to scale it down even more than my usually low sencha brewing temps. Great candidate to try gyokuro style brewing with. I'm saving some of the Takumi from Zencha out of my OTTI samples for "gyo-sencha" style. Can't wait to try this year's Yutaka Midori from O-cha like this...

User avatar
Nov 4th, '11, 03:01
Posts: 108
Joined: May 15th, '11

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by Cole » Nov 4th, '11, 03:01

chado.my.teaway wrote:When I brew Sencha its always shiboridashi.

1- 70cel 60s
2 -75cel 30s
3 -80cel 3-6 min.

and for me its excellent;)
Of course it's excellent -- it's brewed in a shiboridashi :lol: !

I, too, am curious about o-cha's YM brewed up this way. Never tried the stuff, but I've heard it's heavenly!

User avatar
Nov 4th, '11, 07:08
Posts: 673
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Brewing Sencha like Gyokuro

by sherubtse » Nov 4th, '11, 07:08

Cole wrote:I, too, am curious about o-cha's YM brewed up this way. Never tried the stuff, but I've heard it's heavenly!
Yes, O-Cha's YM is stellar. I brew it at 65 deg. It is my 2nd favourite from O-Cha. (My favourite is / was the Fukamushi Supreme, which is no longer sold.)

Best wishes,
sheruibtse

+ Post Reply