Gyokuro steep time

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 4th, '11, 23:53
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Gyokuro steep time

by Chip » Dec 4th, '11, 23:53

Tead Off wrote:
Chip wrote:Ah, actually I receive the newsletter, I will have to pay more attention to it. I will check it out for news of this tea.

Does he list the price anywhere?
That would be one blessing too many. You have to ask for it!
I see ... I cannot say that this pleases me. But I could have sworn that I previously saw a makeshift excel like chart with the prices a while ago.

Why is that virtually every vendor on the planet can list the price of their teas openly and often in multiple locations and this vendor cannot ... I mean isn't he "hojo-god?"

While perhaps his intentions are honorable, it is perceived as deceptive ... smoke and mirrors. My instinctive response is, so he has different prices for different customers ...

Just sayin' ...

Dec 4th, '11, 23:54

by NOESIS » Dec 4th, '11, 23:54

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote: I think this is the Zairai you might want to try, Chip. http://hojotea.com/item_e/g24e.htm
It might not be what you're used to paying.
Wow, a lot of reading to find out what the tea is, then saw it is sencha right at the top. :oops:

"Zairai gives very flowery flavour which is similar to oolong cultivar."

How much is it, I did not see the price? I am guessing that after a spell is cast after reading all the info, the buyer does not care? :lol: I see they offer 2 different Zairai sencha.

I also do not see this selection in the listing of green teas to the left. How did you find this selection?
I ordered some last month, and his description of the flavor profile is pretty spot on. 100g pack sells for 1500 yen.

I find it to be a nice break from the my usual sencha "umami bomb".

Dec 4th, '11, 23:58

by Chip » Dec 4th, '11, 23:58

NOESIS wrote: I ordered some last month, and his description of the flavor profile is pretty spot on. 100g pack sells for 1500 yen.

I find it to be a nice break from the my usual sencha "umami bomb".
Thanks! How much was shipping for how much tea? I see you also have to get a shipping quote after showing serious interest.

Dec 5th, '11, 00:14

by NOESIS » Dec 5th, '11, 00:14

Chip wrote: Thanks! How much was shipping for how much tea? I see you also have to get a shipping quote after showing serious interest.
Chip, I ordered a spiffy lil 90ml kyusu and 2 @ 100g packets of tea. I opted for EMS and it was around 1800 yen for shipping. Standard airmail and SAL are also options. When you send him your list of what you want to purchase, he'll give you price quotes for various shipping options. Very smooth transactions! To get the ball started, send a query to info2@hojotea.com, and request his latest tea price list (pdf).

Dec 5th, '11, 19:11

by shinobicha » Dec 5th, '11, 19:11

Or, you could go here for the latest price list:

http://hojotea.com/img/tealineup8.pdf

And, if it's been a while, just change the # in the link to one digit higher. If you get a browser error, you know you've reached the latest price list.

Actually, the main Hojo site is in Japanese, and all the prices are listed there openly, becuase you can buy directly from the site, rather than emailing them. I understand why they may not have an international shopping cart available (cost, etc.) but I don't have any idea why he doesn't put his prices in a nice list on the main page, instead of you having to request them. It is slightly more understandable for teaware, but yes it is a strange practice. My only guess is that he'd like to talk with you over email and hope he can sell better that way?

It'd be better for his teas just to keep it simple and have the prices there right up front, imo.

Dec 5th, '11, 19:54

by David R. » Dec 5th, '11, 19:54

Up to date price list has always been at the top of the page : http://hojotea.com/item_e/available.htm

I really don't know why it is like this, but with time this page is not really a secret anymore.

Dec 5th, '11, 20:20

by Chip » Dec 5th, '11, 20:20

... ah, there is the price list. I feel a little better. Though like you allude to, the available page is not available to everyone who happens upon the Hojo site. Of course we have the keys to the vault.

I am sure I would have ordered from here ... likely more than once. But no shopping cart is a hurdle I do not always get over.

Dec 6th, '11, 04:45

by Tead Off » Dec 6th, '11, 04:45

Chip wrote:... ah, there is the price list. I feel a little better. Though like you allude to, the available page is not available to everyone who happens upon the Hojo site. Of course we have the keys to the vault.

I am sure I would have ordered from here ... likely more than once. But no shopping cart is a hurdle I do not always get over.
Just curious as to why there is no Tea Vendor page for Hojo in green teas? Is this freudian? Jungian? Fujian? :D

Dec 6th, '11, 11:51

by AdamMY » Dec 6th, '11, 11:51

Tead Off wrote:
Chip wrote:... ah, there is the price list. I feel a little better. Though like you allude to, the available page is not available to everyone who happens upon the Hojo site. Of course we have the keys to the vault.

Just curious as to why there is no Tea Vendor page for Hojo in green teas? Is this freudian? Jungian? Fujian? :D
I'm not Chip, but I think Chip realized he might have bit off a bit too much with the Teavendors, as people keep on suggesting more and more new vendors, some of which only a very small fraction of members have tried. That being said I am sure it meets the criteria, but did it get nominated? (if yes, then its likely been a time issue).

Dec 6th, '11, 11:57

by Tead Off » Dec 6th, '11, 11:57

AdamMY wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

I'm not Chip, but I think Chip realized he might have bit off a bit too much with the Teavendors, as people keep on suggesting more and more new vendors, some of which only a very small fraction of members have tried. That being said I am sure it meets the criteria, but did it get nominated? (if yes, then its likely been a time issue).
Hojo has been one of the most talked about vendors on Teachat. Every serious (and rich) tea drinker knows about their teas. I'm just curious so let Chip put this one to rest.

Dec 6th, '11, 12:22

I

by Chip » Dec 6th, '11, 12:22

In the beginning Vendors were added as they were nominated, seconded, etc. I needed to also check each vendor to make certain they met the posted criteria established for the TeaVendor Forum.

There was a point where participation was virtually non existant (in fact it has never been particularly hot with a few exceptions). So, I focused my energies where they were more required at the time. Each nominated vendor requires around 30 minutes to finalize and post the official topic.

I would like to continue with the TeaVendor Forum of TeaChat. So, I will endeavor to bring it up to date by the end of this year. I will try to add Vendors in the order of completion of the nomination process.

My apologies to those who submitted nominations. I have kept all nominations that have been properly submitted via PM to me.

Dec 7th, '11, 06:50

Re: I

by sherubtse » Dec 7th, '11, 06:50

Chip wrote:I would like to continue with the TeaVendor Forum of TeaChat. So, I will endeavor to bring it up to date by the end of this year. I will try to add Vendors in the order of completion of the nomination process.
Very good to hear, Chip, as it has been a valuable soure of info for me when shopping. Thanks. :D

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply